Craigslist scam of the day?

Crunchtime

• Members

So, I was checking out used vehicles on CL and saw a screaming deal on a truck. He says he is in the Army and shipping out so he needs to sell it. I email the guy and tell him I'm very interested and want to see the truck. today I get an email from him and here is what it said:

am in a currently stationed at Nevada Army National Guard. We are getting ready for Afghanistan. We are in the final stage of our training and we are not allowed to use the phone during this period. This is supposed to keep us focused on our trainings. I am only allowed to check my email few times a day. I hope you can understand that we will have to stick to email for now. The vehicle is here with me at the base but I

• Members

Yeah...no.

Anyone who's tried to buy a car via CL has already gotten this exact e-mail about 30 times.

If they're willing to ship the car, it's a scam. Every time.

Gotcha. I didn't know about the scam. I though he was saying that you could check out the car then send payment. I didn't realize he was asking for payment up front.

• Members

I've answered 2 or 3 of the 2008 Camry or Accord, etc for $3500 ads. I LOVE messing with those guys.

One went down somewhat like this.....

Them: "My husband died in Iraq and I can;t bare to look at the car"

Me: "So sorry, proud to be an American, etc...when would you like me to stop by?"

Them: "Well, the vehicle is in Florida but I'll have it shipped at my cost."

Me: "What a coincidence, I'll be in Florida next week....I'll pick it up!!!"

Them: "That won't be possible, it's already at the shipping company in storage and awaiting delivery instructions."

Me: "I'm actually familiar with shipping companies, for a small fee, usually $100-200 they'll make the vehicle available for inspection...I'll GLADLY cover the cost...I'm really excited about this!!!"

Them: Random frustrated remarks and finally a "do you want the car or not"

Archived