Simplest analog delay circuit?

johanwastaken

• Members

I am interested in building an analog delay to try it out. Since I know nothing about BBD chips or anything I would like to have as simple circuit as possible.

A quick look at smallbear tells med that there are some chips that allow about 200ms delay time and that is just fine for me.

Can someone point me to where there are explanations of circuits with BBD chips or maybe even a complete schematic?

• Members

Which chip were you planning on using? The datasheet for the chips usually gives a pretty detailed explanation of how it works, and often contains a schematic for a reference circuit that will work with little or no modifications. All you might need to add is the external jacks, bypass switching, and maybe change a resistor or two for impedance and input cap bleedoff.

Try datasheetcatalog.com. They have a searchable database for most datasheets.

• Members

Check out the AD3208 at

+1. I've built two so far and plan on building at least two more. Great project - you get to pick parts to your hearts content, and the design is very cool (10kHz clock, nice LP filter which is not too steep). Btw, housing is a bit tricky (it's a large board).

You might want to wait a couple of days and buy this BYOC analog delay kit - http://www.buildyourownclone.com/analogdelay.html. That kit should come with very detail instructions, and BYOC have their own support message board etc. It's not advertising, I just think there's no better way to build an analog delay if you're new in DIY.

• Members

You might want to wait a couple of days and buy this BYOC analog delay kit -
. That kit should come with very detail instructions, and BYOC have their own support message board etc. It's not advertising, I just think there's no better way to build an analog delay if you're new in DIY.

+1.

• Members

The BYOC kit seems like too much for me. It's got 4 delay ICs for example. The GGG kit is also huge.

I was looking for something with as few parts as possible I had a look at the datasheets for the delay chips I could find at smallbear like for example MN3205 and I could only find reverb schematics there.

• Members

The BYOC kit seems like too much for me. It's got 4 delay ICs for example. The GGG kit is also huge.

I was looking for something with as few parts as possible I had a look at the datasheets for the delay chips I could find at smallbear like for example MN3205 and I could only find reverb schematics there.

I have yet to see a delay circuit I would call simple.

• Members

I have yet to see a delay circuit I would call simple.

Yes, that's the short of it. It does sound so simple when you explain a delay - it repeats the note in a more or less exact manner - but it just is such a complicated circuit, if you want to do it all analogue. You have an amplifier stage, a clock and a couple of BBDs, and then a circuit that will keep those four chips happy, plus a fine-tune circuit so you can calibrate everything properly, plus a mixer (feedback) stage, plus an EQ lowpass stage to filter the noise out.

If you want a simple delay, it won't be analogue. Try a digital design first - http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=125&Itemid=26

Archived