Preamp tube sheilds. What's the straight skinny?

Crunchtime

• Members

I've had a lot of amps with and without the aluminum preamp tube shields. What is the general consensus on these?

My Rivera has the shields and inside the top interior of the shields is a wool looking material that helps the spring hold the tube firmly. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about heat buildup in the shield.

Are 12ax7's susceptible to decreased life under such an environment?

• Members

I've had a lot of amps with and without the aluminum preamp tube shields. What is the general consensus on these?

My Rivera has the shields and inside the top interior of the shields is a wool looking material that helps the spring hold the tube firmly. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about heat buildup in the shield.

Are 12ax7's susceptible to decreased life under such an environment?

They don't get all that hot, so it shouldn't be much of a concern. There usually a hole at the top of the shield to keep it ventilated.

• Members

The wool looking material I mentioned covers the hole. Looking in the hole you see the wool not the tube.

It really shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea why they put that wool in there unless they were trying to cut out any chassis vibration getting into the tube as microphonics (sp?).

Archived