Even if you hate Carvin...

Crunchtime

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Am I the only person who buys a guitar because I like it and anticipate keeping it without giving a {censored} about "resale" value?

Nope, I've done plenty of bad deals that way.... :D
But I also get them because I like them.

• Members

I would never compare a comprable price Gibson to a Carvin. I've owned many of both and know the Carvin is going to be much higher quality workmanship, better materials, and have superior playability.

You don't even have to look past the necks to know this.

Gibson will have those cheap tuners I hate, plastic inlays, angled string pull, nickle/silver frets, and rosewood board.

Carvin will have Sperzel locking tuners, real MOP inlays, straight string pull, stainless steel frets, and ebony board.

Not sure what a Studio has for a nut nowadays. Probably plastic. The Carvin will have a GraphTech.

• Members

That pretty much sums it up nicely. Look at the signature guitars out there for even more evidence. A lot of them are just for them and not other players.

Good point. Carvin should stop doing that. (Realizes his taste in what looks good flies pretty far to the "boring and conservative" side of things) :lol:

• Members

true... I just went there and priced this out

which is basically a LP Studio with Gold Hardware....

vs...

The Gibson is actually cheaper. With free shipping, no wait time, many dealers to choose from (even locally) and better pickups.

I guess it's cool if you have unique options (but that adds to the price too), but for a standard guitar, I don't see a great deal there.

Arent the studios the "cheapie" LPs?

I dont think you can make this comparison...theyre completely different guitars with a different neck shape and scale length and different feel.

I personally LOVE Carvins. If they offered full custom guitars, Id have one by now. I havent found a guitar that I think plays better than a Carvin. And compared to the price of a PRS, which is what theyre market leans more toward, I think, then its a killer deal.

• Members

I would never compare a comprable price Gibson to a Carvin. I've owned many of both and know the Carvin is going to be much higher quality workmanship, better materials, and have superior playability.

Gibson will have those cheap tuners I hate, plastic inlays, angled string pull, nickle/silver frets, and rosewood board.

Carvin will have Sperzel locking tuners, real MOP inlays, straight string pull, stainless steel frets, and ebony board.

Not sure what a Studio has for a nut nowadays. Probably plastic. The Carvin will have a GraphTech.

Carvin specs out well, but I think of them kind of like Playboy models or equivalent. Lots of fake boobs and bleached hair which arguably look decent in the magazine, but when you get them home, you find that living with them may not be all you thought it would be. Sperzel tuners and MOP inlays are cool and all, but they don't make it rock. I'll take a the girl next door Gibson any day.

• Members

Carvin specs out well, but I think of them kind of like Playboy models or equivalent. Lots of fake boobs and bleached hair which arguably look decent in the magazine, but when you get them home, you find that living with them may not be all you thought it would be. Sperzel tuners and MOP inlays are cool and all, but they don't make it rock. I'll take a the girl next door Gibson any day.

Different strokes for different folks, which is fair enough.

I have to say, my C66T is a pleasure to play, between the ebony fretboard, SS frets, well-cut nut, tung oil neck, and sperzel tuners, she actually stays in tune slightly better than my PRSi with Phase II tuners, which are great too.

The cosmetic options do not affect playability or sound, you are correct GCDEF. I guess that's for the guys who have $1400 Gibson studio money, but want a little more bling for what they are spending. If you think about it, are the appointments of the Standard LP "worth it" over what you get for a Studio?

At the end of the day, no Carvin is like an LP, so, really, they shouldn't be compared. Like someone else said earlier, they really should be compared to PRSi, going on scale length, cosmetics, style, sounds, etc.

Having currently owning both PRS and Carvin, and since I don't have $3k to spend on a guitar, I'll be gladly looking at Carvin next, IF I even want to get another guitar, but I'm pretty satisfied, and have been for quite a while.

• Members
It just bugs me that people seem to think Carvin prices are so great. They used to be, up to the mid-00's, now they're about the same as most US guitar companies.

Buying a Gibson/Fender is like going to a bar scoring some hot {censored} and taking her home.

Buying a Carvin is like ordering a mail-order bride and when she arrives, she's pretty hot,but then you realize you could have gotten that same kind of {censored} without having to go through so much trouble.

:lol:

Or like finding out you need to buy her a new pair of tits right off the bat.

• Members

Carvins hold their value decently unless the person ordered unusual specs, horrible finish combinations, or simply decided to get EVERY possible option.

While on the subject of resale value, I think people give it too much weight, but I can understand people taking it into account. You never know what the future holds, or if you might find yourself in a financial bind.

• Members

this x 1000

Carvin quality is head and shoulders above Gibson's. It's not even close. However, if you've got to have the Gibson look / sound, then I understand why guys go for it. Nothing sounds like an LP, I get that. But that's why I own both ;) But one things for sure, I hate my Lp's neck joint and I sure as hell won't let it tip over for the good ole legendary headstock fail that Gibson's are renowned for.

Oh, and baked maple....lol

• Members

this x 1000

Carvin quality is head and shoulders above Gibson's. It's not even close. However, if you've got to have the Gibson look / sound, then I understand why guys go for it. Nothing sounds like an LP, I get that. But that's why I own both
;)
But one things for sure, I hate my Lp's neck joint and I sure as hell won't let it tip over for the good ole legendary headstock fail that Gibson's are renowned for.

Oh, and baked maple....lol

well I am not really comparing quality because honestly, I don't like they way a Carvin sounds or plays. To me they're too polished and "perfect" and I like a guitar to be a little on the raw side. I would honestly prefer a faded Gibson over any Carvin and there is not a lot you can say to convince me otherwise so "quality" is subjective. If you say you get the lowest action, the most perfect shred neck, crazy figured top, perfect angles blah blah....well, none of these things are things I look for in a guitar.

• Members

well I am not really comparing quality because honestly, I don't like they way a Carvin sounds or plays. To me they're too polished and "perfect" and I like a guitar to be a little on the raw side. I would honestly prefer a faded Gibson over any Carvin and there is not a lot you can say to convince me otherwise so "quality" is subjective. If you say you get the lowest action, the most perfect shred neck, crazy figured top, perfect angles blah blah....well, none of these things are things I look for in a guitar.

I don't get guys who need to justify their Carvin's awesomeness by slagging other brands. If you like it, great. If someone else likes their Gibson, great. Maybe Gibson isn't as consistent, but they're also a much bigger company churning out way more product. They do carry them in every major music store, so how hard can it be to play a bunch until you find one you like?

• Members

I don't get guys who need to justify their Carvin's awesomeness by slagging other brands. If you like it, great. If someone else likes their Gibson, great. Maybe Gibson isn't as consistent, but they're also a much bigger company churning out way more product. They do carry them in every major music store, so how hard can it be to play a bunch until you find one you like?

I don't get it either. My point was just that prices for production US made guitars are pretty leveled out these days across most brands.

• Members

I don't get it either. My point was just that prices for production US made guitars are pretty leveled out these days across most brands.

That, and kids can't play Carvin at GC stores and {censored} them up.

I have a nice Carvin, but my LPC, and Standard are much more supreme guitars. Besides that, they are just altogether different. My carvin is lighter, with crappy pickups... not at all like my Gibsons.

• Members

Yeah, what you're saying makes sense. Which is why I said I get why guys like the Gibson sound. Gibsons definitely do raw like no one else.

Horses for courses - it's totally subjective just like anything else tone/feel related. Some guys like raw, some guys like total polished shred machines, some like both. The world keeps on spinnin'

Archived