Even if you hate Carvin...

Crunchtime

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail View Post
I've had ALOT of Carvins over the years. They're not the great deals they used to be IMHO
true... I just went there and priced this out
CS4S
Right Handed
Tune-O-Matic Bridge/Stop Tailpiece 1 $1,119.00

-NMAH - Mahogany Neck & Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
TR - Crimson Red $30.00
-CTH - Carved Top Headstock (Standard) $0.00
BPH - Black Painted Headstock $30.00
-RWF - Rosewood Fingerboard $0.00
MP - Mother Of Pearl Block Inlays $60.00
-FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard) $0.00
-R12 - 12in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
S22B - S22B Bridge Pickup w/ Metal Cover to Match Hardware $10.00
-C22J - C22J Neck Pickup (Standard) $0.00
408 - Black Coils w/ Cream Bezels $5.00
VT2 - 2 Volume/2 Tone w/ Push-Pull Coil Splitters (N/A w/ Bigsby) $40.00
G - Gold Hardware $50.00
-46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard) $0.00
GL - Gold Plated Logo $0.00
HC10 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case $69.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,413.00
Options Discount: $-100.00

Sub-Total $1,313.00
which is basically a LP Studio with Gold Hardware....

vs...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...FYw-Mgod-hEA3A

The Gibson is actually cheaper. With free shipping, no wait time, many dealers to choose from (even locally) and better pickups.

I guess it's cool if you have unique options (but that adds to the price too), but for a standard guitar, I don't see a great deal there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti

View Post

Am I the only person who buys a guitar because I like it and anticipate keeping it without giving a {censored} about "resale" value?

I feel the same way. For me, once I find a nice lefty axe, I'm not selling. I could buy 3 Carvins(all custom) for the price of 1 PRS lefty.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
true... I just went there and priced this out

which is basically a LP Studio with Gold Hardware....

vs...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...FYw-Mgod-hEA3A

The Gibson is actually cheaper. With free shipping, no wait time, many dealers to choose from (even locally) and better pickups.

I guess it's cool if you have unique options (but that adds to the price too), but for a standard guitar, I don't see a great deal there.
icon_lol.gif A CS4 is nothing like a LP Studio. Never mind the fact that the build quality on a CS4 will be light years ahead of a run of the mill LP Studio (unless you sit and play 100 Studios looking for "the one"). The CS4 has a 25" scale length and a straight string headstock (if you go with the carved top headstock) and will feel much more like a 25" scale length PRS Singlecut than any Gibson. The Carvin also doesn't have the wacky neck or headstock angles that a Gibson does. I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again. If you want a Gibson, BUY A {censored}ING GIBSON. Carvins are unique and aren't for everyone, but they're great guitars with awesome build quality. I hope to buy one again in the near future.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

That's true. Because I like the the Studio and dislike the Carvin. Good for me, since it's also cheaper. smile.gif

I usually tell Gibson guys to stay away from Carvin if they're looking for a Gibson alternative. You're better off sticking with your short scale length and funky angles if that's what you like.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chrispsullivan View Post
I usually tell Gibson guys to stay away from Carvin if they're looking for a Gibson alternative. You're better off sticking with your short scale length and funky angles if that's what you like.
I agree smile.gif I will surely stay away from Carvin guitars. Their amps, on the other hand, I like them quite a bit.

Short scale + 17* headstock angle = best EVAR love.gif

• Members

It just bugs me that people seem to think Carvin prices are so great. They used to be, up to the mid-00's, now they're about the same as most US guitar companies.

Buying a Gibson/Fender is like going to a bar scoring some hot {censored} and taking her home.

Buying a Carvin is like ordering a mail-order bride and when she arrives, she's pretty hot,but then you realize you could have gotten that same kind of {censored} without having to go through so much trouble.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

• Members

It just bugs me that people seem to think Carvin prices are so great. They used to be, up to the mid-00's, now they're about the same as most US guitar companies.

Buying a Gibson/Fender is like going to a bar scoring some hot {censored} and taking her home.

Buying a Carvin is like ordering a mail-order bride and when she arrives, she's pretty hot,but then you realize you could have gotten that same kind of {censored} without having to go through so much trouble.

:lol:

Carvin prices are only spectacular when you compare them to a brand new PRS.

• Members

I've had ALOT of Carvins over the years. They're not the great deals they used to be IMHO - prices have gradually crept upwards to the good deal category, not great deal (still alot of guitar for the money compared to PRS & GIbson, no arguement).

Biggest fail around is how guys spew about Carvins not having resale value. THis was true 10 years ago when I bought two figured topped Bolt hardtails for $420 & $450. Nowdays, they go for twice that on eBay EVERY {censored}ING TIME. I've searched eBay for epic deals - there aren't any anymore. Period. Ebay is filled with $1500 CT6's for $1100. Thats pretty much holding resale in my book. You will NOT see a CT6 for $600, which would be what I consider an epic deal & not holding resale ...

Isn't this true for *almost* everything (on ebay/wherever)?

I remember...not THAT long ago...I could get a PRS custom 22 for 1400...new.

You pay the same price now for a lot of things (Kramer Focus?), as you did then new.

Sorry dude....I';m saying it's not carvin, it's the economy.

("saying" it as an ignorant mericun.....just my opinion....don't think it's too far off. {censored} just costs more now Period)

• Members

Am I the only person who buys a guitar because I like it and anticipate keeping it without giving a {censored} about "resale" value?

Nope. I never buy a guitar with a thought of what I could get back out of it if I sold it. EVAR.

I rarely flip {censored} anyway. I think I've sold two guitars in my life and both went to guys that REALLY needed an axe at the time.

• Members

Carvin prices are only spectacular when you compare them to a brand new PRS.

This is the thing Billy, even the most golded out, quilted to the max Carvin will STILL be under 2 large, (I've seen some stunners at $1400-$1600). I bought my Navarro sig (plain white, no flame or quilt) for $1800 USED, in 2005 (they were $2195 NEW at the time). Want a 10 top or Artist package on a Custom 24? You better bring $3k, because you aren't getting a 10 top or AP for less than that.

I just checked sweetwater, yup, $2705 for a non-10 Custom 24. Carvins don't come anywhere near that, so, for me, the pricing IS pretty damn good.

• Members

Why do so many people with absolutely horrible aesthetic taste order Carvins? Is it just to tarnish a quality brand?

I think it's just that most people have horrible aesthetic taste but other companies don't give them the freedom to express it. I do like the model in the OP though, even though I'd personally go for a solid color paint job.

• Members

I pretty much am. After owning countless esp, ltd, schecter and ibanez, i have stayed with ESP/LTD and the occasional schecter.

I did pick up a custom carvin over the summer though, and it is an impeccable guitar.

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

In general I dont like Carvins but that my freind is a beautiful axe.

• Members

I think it's just that most people have horrible aesthetic taste but other companies don't give them the freedom to express it. I do like the model in the OP though, even though I'd personally go for a solid color paint job.

That pretty much sums it up nicely. Look at the signature guitars out there for even more evidence. A lot of them are just for them and not other players.

• Members

Nope. All my stuff is bought like this, and my guitars mostly look like I have no intention of ever selling them. Which is something I regret in the cases where I've ended up selling something. :lol:

My main guitar looks like absolute {censored} now, but I'll pretty much only ever sell that if it's life or death. And even then, I'd strongly consider just playing it 'til I died, seeing as I probably wouldn't get much for it these days with the condition it's in. :o

The Carvin looks nice. Not a case o' the ol' instant tightpants for me, but if it had another string it'd be pretty close to it. I love a H-S pickup config.

Archived