Kenny Loggin's / Top Gun theme "Danger Zone".

charveldan

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dann'sTheMan View Post
I didn't know that. Interesting also to learn that the Bass is a Yamaha DX7, and the drums are a LinnDrum drum machine. What I am thrilled about is that the guitar solo is by the maestro, Dann Huff - Dann is the Man!

Big smiles,

Andy.
He used to have an office upstairs from me. I didn't see him very often and I didn't really know him so I didn't say much but I'd nod to him if I saw him in the parking lot.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Anomaly View Post
You've got to be shittin' me. I always thought that was a guitar into a Scholz Rockman. Sounds just like it.
I second that. Classic Rockman type sound you heard all over the place in teh 80's. No way synths were that advanced 20+ years ago idn_smilie.gif

Not only that, but you're (anyone, really) trusting a WIKIPEDIA source as truth? LOLOLOLOL

• 7 years later...
On 11/16/2012 at 3:39 AM, charveldan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Zone_(song)

According to wiki ^^^^ the guitar tracks wern't guitar they were synthesizers, who knew??? cop.gifcop.gifcop.gif

Cept the lead was guitar.

Ancient thread, but since there's going to be a follow-up movie released fairly soon that will feature the same song, it's still kind of relevant. 

I looked at the Wiki link in the OP, and I don't see anywhere where it says the "guitar tracks" weren't guitars, but synths. It does say that the bass part was done on a synth though... and it specifically mentions session guitarist Dann Huff as having played guitar on it. 

From Wiki:

Overview[edit]

Dann Huff, lead singer and guitarist of the 1980s hard rock group Giant, played guitar on the song. The bass line is performed on a Yamaha DX7 synthesizer. A tenor saxophone is added near the end of the song.

The song peaked at number two on the US Billboard Hot 100 for the week of July 26, 1986, kept from the top spot by Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer".

Music video[edit]

A music video was released in May 1986 to promote the single. The video was directed by Tony Scott and featured footage of Loggins singing, as well as clips from the film Top Gun, which Scott also directed.

According to the MuchMusic network's program Pop-Up Video, the U.S. Navy described this video as "the most effective recruiting poster ever produced".[citation needed]

Personnel[edit]

• 4 months later...
  • Members

The guitar part is played on guitar. No synth could produce those string mutes and chord sounds like that especially back then. If you listen closely, the note decay on the guitar is natural. Can’t do that on a synth. Specifically, the effects used on the guitar sounds like it’s using a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal and a Boss Chorus pedal (probably the CE2) with digital delay (probably a Boss DD2 to my ears). 

The bass line is definitely a synth as are the pads and arpeggiated elements and the drums definitely sounds like the Linn Drum drum machine. 

Archived