MIDI amp switcher and footswitch question

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Egnater TOL100 head
Randall 4 button switch

The TOL has a midi learn button, and it will learn and work properly.

The problem is when I power down, and power back up.....it forgets channel 3&4.

I could reset it every time I turn it on, but I'd really like it to work properly.

Any ideas?

• Members

I'm wondering if the TOL has a small button cell battery in it that has gone dead. It's midi board may require a battery to "remember" settings when its turned off. I'll have to look at the TOL manual, but you might also be able to set the midi channel of the footswitch and the amp to the same channel so it wouldn't require it learning anything.

• Members

With the rocktron vendetta (similar to the TOL), I just had to press the midi learn/program button, and it would remember.
I was using a boss gt-8, and it worked great with various patches and such.

Hmm. I'll check for a battery. Sounds probable.

Worst case is I go back to dual stereo footswitches for channel switching.

• Members

I still don't know what full midi means?
Shouldn't a midi switch work with a simple midi amp.

Midi only controls the channels. No loop, no reverb, nothing else.

I have a tweaker 88 coming in, I think it's a 4 button stereo cable footswitch. Duh. Try that first.

Actually, I was mistaken. Two button footswitch with a single stereo cable. I use a Y cable to split it for the dual 1/4" footswitch jacks.

The x12 is a bit larger than I really need for a channel switcher.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal View Post
I still don't know what full midi means?
Shouldn't a midi switch work with a simple midi amp.

Midi only controls the channels. No loop, no reverb, nothing else.

I have a tweaker 88 coming in, I think it's a 4 button stereo cable footswitch. Duh. Try that first.

Actually, I was mistaken. Two button footswitch with a single stereo cable. I use a Y cable to split it for the dual 1/4" footswitch jacks.

The x12 is a bit larger than I really need for a channel switcher.
You just need to use MIDI it you are planning to use an effects rack with it, so you can control the rack and amp with a single footswitch. If you don't need that then you just need a regular footswitch wired to the 1/4" jacks.

That Randall footswich is not a MIDI footswitch, it's just 4 switches wired to a 5-pin DIN cable. Other amps like the XXX or 6505+ use the same type of cable and they not MIDI either, they just use the same cable used for MIDI but the footswiches themselves are NOT transmitting any MIDI.

The MIDI port on your amp needs a real MIDI footswitch, if you don't need that, do NOT use that port, use the regular jacks with dual stereo footswitches.

Archived