Getting good nasty grindcore tone

wok

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
From sevenstring.org
Yeah, I know, I've seen it.. I've tried it.. Turn all knobs to 10 and see what happens..lol..

I'm not dismissing the use of the pedal so much, but it's the "instant entombed" claim, cause it's really not.. To get that hugeness that is on the first 2 albums has a lot to do with other factors, thats all I'm saying.. All knobs on 10 sounds like a garbled mess.. And even when you do get a sound that is usable, it's no where near that big.. They struck a bit of magic with the right cab, placement, etc. to get that girth..

And mic'ed from behind the speaker cab? Lol.. I'm telling you I think they are pulling a van Halen and bullshiting exactly what they did.. They may have had a Mic back there, I've actually tried it, but there is no way that is the only Mic..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
From sevenstring.org
Yeah, I know, I've seen it.. I've tried it.. Turn all knobs to 10 and see what happens..lol..

I'm not dismissing the use of the pedal so much, but it's the "instant entombed" claim, cause it's really not.. To get that hugeness that is on the first 2 albums has a lot to do with other factors, thats all I'm saying.. All knobs on 10 sounds like a garbled mess.. And even when you do get a sound that is usable, it's no where near that big.. They struck a bit of magic with the right cab, placement, etc. to get that girth..

And mic'ed from behind the speaker cab? Lol.. I'm telling you I think they are pulling a van Halen and bullshiting exactly what they did.. They may have had a Mic back there, I've actually tried it, but there is no way that is the only Mic..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime View Post

Well I mean of course a single guitar, playing out of context, without a second guitar or bass isn't going to sound like an album confused.gif Just like everything else I'm sure those solo'd guitar tracks sound like crap on their own.

• Members

Well I mean of course a single guitar, playing out of context, without a second guitar or bass isn't going to sound like an album confused.gif Just like everything else I'm sure those solo'd guitar tracks sound like crap on their own.

• Members
Which at the time weren't that high gain.. So maybe use the jcm 800 or better yet 900 emulation and hit it with different dirt boxes.. Basically you need the low end to be more undefined and distorted to get that old late 80's grind tine

Quote Originally Posted by HottKarl View Post
Lay a dirty bass track underneath.

yeah, gotta get some real nasty dirt on there with a chunky bass and that'll really go far.

• Members
Which at the time weren't that high gain.. So maybe use the jcm 800 or better yet 900 emulation and hit it with different dirt boxes.. Basically you need the low end to be more undefined and distorted to get that old late 80's grind tine

Quote Originally Posted by HottKarl View Post
Lay a dirty bass track underneath.

yeah, gotta get some real nasty dirt on there with a chunky bass and that'll really go far.

• Members

Yeah, I'm totally serious about the bass. You listen to some of those bands who used the HM-2 back then, their guitar tone was pure {censored} by itself. Add a second guitar, it got a little better. Add a really dirty bass guitar underneath, crank all to gig volume and go....that was the sound.

I saw Dismember, Grave and Entombed back in the early 90's and it was very evident....you needed all the pieces to really get that dirty, nasty grind.

• Members

Yeah, I'm totally serious about the bass. You listen to some of those bands who used the HM-2 back then, their guitar tone was pure {censored} by itself. Add a second guitar, it got a little better. Add a really dirty bass guitar underneath, crank all to gig volume and go....that was the sound.

I saw Dismember, Grave and Entombed back in the early 90's and it was very evident....you needed all the pieces to really get that dirty, nasty grind.

• Members

And I've got a HM-2 that I run into a cheap Boss preamp (set to a 5150 preset), running into a cranked stereo Marshall Monoblock. My settings on the HM-2 are not 'All knobs to 11' to get that old Sunlight Studio sound. They're more like (in o'clock):

Level: 12:30-1:00...too much of this and it gets noisy.
Lo: Around 10:00....too much of this and it gets very mushy.
Hi: Set all the way up 5:00....this is the true grind of the pedal.
Distortion: Barely on...maybe 8:00. Just enough to get a little dirt.

With those settings, I pretty much nail Entombed/Dismember.

• Members

And I've got a HM-2 that I run into a cheap Boss preamp (set to a 5150 preset), running into a cranked stereo Marshall Monoblock. My settings on the HM-2 are not 'All knobs to 11' to get that old Sunlight Studio sound. They're more like (in o'clock):

Level: 12:30-1:00...too much of this and it gets noisy.
Lo: Around 10:00....too much of this and it gets very mushy.
Hi: Set all the way up 5:00....this is the true grind of the pedal.
Distortion: Barely on...maybe 8:00. Just enough to get a little dirt.

With those settings, I pretty much nail Entombed/Dismember.

• Members
That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear. If entombed did indeed use that pedal you will need more than it to get their tone. And theirbsound had very much to do with the production.

I remember reading an interview with the producer Tomas Skogberg(?)/Sunlight Studios, and he mentioned he would get countless number of bands coming in asking for the "entombed" sound and as you can tell not many were ever really able to capture it. Tomas even said, unless you played the actual gear that they used, you can't really ever nail that sound.. The closest band to the early sound was Dismember and they actually had member that were in entombed and even they never got that giant sound.. Anyway, until you play that pedal, don't be thinking it's instant Entombed.. Cause there is a reason they don't make it anymore and it's because it sucked, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if entombed used Metal Zones. Lol. A metal zone tweaked right will get closer, imo anyway..

But for bass guitar it did actually work pretty good.. Cut a lot of the low end out, but there was still enough..
This. So much truth. I've got one of those pedals, I though it would be instant entombed, it was more like instant shit.

• Members
That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear. If entombed did indeed use that pedal you will need more than it to get their tone. And theirbsound had very much to do with the production.

I remember reading an interview with the producer Tomas Skogberg(?)/Sunlight Studios, and he mentioned he would get countless number of bands coming in asking for the "entombed" sound and as you can tell not many were ever really able to capture it. Tomas even said, unless you played the actual gear that they used, you can't really ever nail that sound.. The closest band to the early sound was Dismember and they actually had member that were in entombed and even they never got that giant sound.. Anyway, until you play that pedal, don't be thinking it's instant Entombed.. Cause there is a reason they don't make it anymore and it's because it sucked, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if entombed used Metal Zones. Lol. A metal zone tweaked right will get closer, imo anyway..

But for bass guitar it did actually work pretty good.. Cut a lot of the low end out, but there was still enough..
This. So much truth. I've got one of those pedals, I though it would be instant entombed, it was more like instant shit.

• Members

So backed.

Archived