How to strip insulation on very thin wires?

SuperAmerMetal

• Members

I have a very small box-cutter...and I mean SMALL....that I gently cut a circle around the wire, and strip it off. If you make a complete circumcision, it comes right off. Almost any sharp razor/box blade work. Your touch will dictate success, but I have found it more accurate than strippers, which work great for larger wire.

• Members

NOO on the burning idea....bad fumes make dumb guy

newholland has the right idea.

Or you can get a really good insulation stripper, mine has no problem handling very small wires

LOL.. The fumes from the wire will not harm you.. Come on, its a minuscule amount.. I guarentee you are exposed to worse stuff on a daily basis walking the street ..

And 26 gauge wire is very thin and I have yet to find a pair of strippers that consistently strip the wire without ever damaging the wire in the process. Sometimes sure, but not everytime and I have some great wire strippers.

Burning it off is pretty much 100% clean everytime..

• Members

And 26 gauge wire is very thin and I have yet to find a pair of strippers that consistently strip the wire without ever damaging the wire in the process. Sometimes sure, but not everytime and I have some great wire strippers.

i have a small blue point set that works fine. you just give it a twist back and fourth before you pull the insulation off.

• Members

oh wow, I've never seen a set that small

i got them at school they have them there for the electronics program i think. they're blue points. i think you can get them on the internet. or ones for that size anyways. i used to have a hell of a time with those razor blades too :lol:

• Members

LOL.. The fumes from the wire will not harm you.. Come on, its a minuscule amount.. I guarentee you are exposed to worse stuff on a daily basis walking the street ..

It's not like you have to create a huge plastic black fireball, right? :lol:

Just melt it a little bit?

• Members

Maybe, but I'd rather not take the risk :idk:

If it is VERY well ventilated and I'm wearing my mask, then I would.

But I haven't had that hard of a time stripping it so for me I haven't had a need to. I also don't want to ruin my tips or the mess with it.

w/e works for you, id just rather hold on to as many braincells as I have left:lol:

• Members

What works best?

Depending on what insulation it is, your thumbnail. Just pinch the wire hard with your thumbnail and pull. It doesn't as well on the softer MTW insulation as it does on stuff with harder insulation, but it still works.

Or, you can just use a regular set of wire strippers that have the cutter on them and very gently dig the cutter blades into the wire and pull. You want to squeeze just enough to dig into the insulation and not the wire.

Archived