Active & Passive amp EQ?

petejt

• Members

What exactly does it mean to have an active or passive EQ on an amplifier?

I've read that the Laney TT50H has a passive EQ system, so how does that work?

And what amps have an active EQ? Rivera? VHT? Mesa/Boogie amps (Mark series?)?, Bad Cat? Marshall? Bogner? etc.

• Members

Passive EQ is unpowered, so you can only take away from any frequencies fed into it.

Active can boost the signal beyond whatever it started with.

I would have thought all guitar amps are passive. I havent seen any with a tube for each band of EQ. Ofcourse, I could be thinking wrong?

• Members
Originally posted by petejt

And what amps have an active EQ? Rivera? VHT? Mesa/Boogie amps (Mark series?)?, Bad Cat? Marshall? Bogner? etc.

The vast majority of tube amps made are passive EQ. If it has a graphic EQ as well, that part should be active. There are some amps with active tone controls. Some of the Carvin X-series, Peavey XXX(I think)and others that I can't think of off the top of my head. merple was correct in the definition.

• Members

Pretty much anything descended from the Peavey Ultra series has an active EQ (XXX, JSX).

The Crate BV also had an active EQ.

I'm not much a fan of active EQ's - something about them just doesn't sound as organic or natural to my ears. I'm a huge fan of just a tone control for your tone stack, because what do we all think when we're playing? "Oh I just need a little less treble/more treble/more low end," etc.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

So, with the MarkIV, the tone stack is a passive EQ (bass reduces the bass frequencies backwards from 10, mids reduces the mids frequencies backwards from 10, treble reduces the treble frequencies backwards from 10), and the 5-band graphic EQ is active, meaning it can boost as well as cut the frequencies? (I know the graphic EQ can boost and cut, but I didn't know that was because it is an active EQ)

• Members

Active = powered, passive = unpowered. So active can add and subtract, passive can only subtract.

• Members
So, with the MarkIV, the tone stack is a passive EQ (bass reduces the bass frequencies backwards from 10, mids reduces the mids frequencies backwards from 10, treble reduces the treble frequencies backwards from 10), and the 5-band graphic EQ is active, meaning it can boost as well as cut the frequencies? (I know the graphic EQ can boost and cut, but I didn't know that was because it is an active EQ)

Of course. Can't do it otherwise.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Hello,

Sorry for waking up this old thread, but I have a question on that topic :

Knowing that Passive EQs can only cut frequencies, does it mean that the "basic" sound of an amplifier is the one you have when all EQs are on 10 ? OR do constructors build amplifiers so that it sounds "basic" on 5 ?

By basic, I don't necessarily mean "electronicly transparent". I only mean, the sound that enginneers wanted to be the  basic sound.

Any thoughts ?

Archived