New Amp DAY!! Carvin X-100 1x12 Combo

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

go figure...the carvin forums go down right before I buy a carvin.
:mad:

Looks basically the same......differences: 1/4" stereo footswitch or MIDI type switch, mini toggle switches, instead of push/pull knobs, slighty different layout, and slightly different appearance.
:blah:

It doesn't sound terrible, but I prefer the FDII.

Yep, I was using an old Traynor YGL-3a and the crunch box in my old heavy cover band.
:rolleyes:
I would set it to just around breakup, and hit it with the crunchbox. Just amazing high gain sounds.
:love:
Supposedly, people say the traynor is fender-ish.....so yeah, it does kick ass.

I had been using my keeley RAT as a boost in the past......either works or sounds too spikey. Depends on the amp......sounds great with my Vendetta, but my traynor hated it.
:idk:

I'm writing a paper for sociology (trying to), but as soon as I'm done, I'll go try all of my pedals with the carvin, and report back.
:thu:

Good luck on the paper. I was always bad about procrastinating and will have to shake that off when the Fall semester starts. :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good luck on the paper. I was always bad about procrastinating and will have to shake that off when the Fall semester starts.
:D

We have to write a one page paper once a week....along with a {censored} ton of reading. The reading is what kills me.....since I try to do it all on the sunday before class.:D The hard part is that I also have to write a 6 page paper by the end of the semester in 3 weeks....:freak:

• Members

HOLY MIDS Batman! you run your 5 band EQ like that?
:freak:

How would you compare it to your Z? That's the exact same one I have.

Do you use the 25% mode even?

I think that it sounds really good at lower volumes....
:idk:

My X100 is a bit different...........my switch only has 60% and 100%, it has only one input and it has two clean channel knobs. Mine is 6L6 tubes, no XLR output. It was made in '81.

• Members

My X100 is a bit different...........my switch only has 60% and 100%, it has only one input and it has two clean channel knobs. Mine is 6L6 tubes, no XLR output. It was made in '81.

Seems like there are a lot of versions....:freak: Mine is 6L6.:love:

Two clean channel knobs? What do they do??

• Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=777229

Hear's a quick clip I just did between my homework and eating some lunch.

That is Gibson Firebird->cord->Carvin->Senn 609e->Motu 828->Sonar

At first it's the neck pickup, and I switch to the bridge once I slap on the gain channel.

No effects, no compression. The reverb is the amp's reverb.

• Members

At first it's the neck pickup, and I switch to the bridge once I slap on the gain channel.

Sounds nice. My router's been messed up but I was able to hear it all. I always like the Carvin cleans though that's the first time I've heard a Firebird through one, and assuming it wasn't boosted the gain sounded pretty good for not being boosted. :) Before hearing it I could hardly remember what the 6L6 version's lead channel sounded like without a boost. :D

• Members

Sounds nice. My router's been messed up but I was able to hear it all. I always like the Carvin cleans though that's the first time I've heard a Firebird through one, and assuming it wasn't boosted the gain sounded pretty good for not being boosted.
:)
Before hearing it I could hardly remember what the 6L6 version's lead channel sounded like without a boost.

Thanks....I just did one take, made it up as I went.....kinda rough on the playing side of things.:D The firebirds are a little brighter, but have a really nice "growl" to them.:rawk:

Nope....no boost...just the gain channel turned up a little with the gain @ 3-4 or so. The last "the who" riff thing was with the gain @ 7.

• Members

Thanks....I just did one take, made it up as I went.....kinda rough on the playing side of things.
The firebirds are a little brighter, but have a really nice "growl" to them.
:rawk:

Nope....no boost...just the gain channel turned up a little with the gain @ 3-4 or so. The last "the who" riff thing was with the gain @ 7.

That's cool you put a clip together already. I've always wanted a Firebird. Are the pups stock? And I love the Who. :cool: I've noticed I used to write a lot more songs on the clean channel when I had the 6L6 Carvin and definitely miss it. I have some clips but on cassette from my old amp. :D

• Members

Awesome, it really captures the sound of the X100 100%:thu::thu::love:

• Members

That's cool you put a clip together already. I've always wanted a Firebird. Are the pups stock? And I love the Who.
:cool:
I've noticed I used to write a lot more songs on the clean channel when I had the 6L6 Carvin and definitely miss it. I have some clips but on cassette from my old amp.

Here's another clip.....:rolleyes::lol:

Carvin X-100 1x12 Combo w/ Gibson firebird 2

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=777229&content=music

The pickups are stock....I like them a lot.

The clean channel is amazing. period.

• Members

Here's another clip.....
:rolleyes::lol:
Carvin X-100 1x12 Combo w/ Gibson firebird 2

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=777229&content=music

The pickups are stock....I like them a lot.

The clean channel is amazing. period.

What pickups?............my amp just loves P90's! The only problem with my amp is the speaker, my original Electro-voice speaker is shot so I put in an old Carvin GT12 in it. It's a great speaker for cleans and slight distortion but it HELLA sux for Metal:cry:.........I guess I have to get one of those $250 Black Label EVM speakers:cry:..I miss the crushing lows that that speaker has...............*talks wife into letting me buy it*

• Members

You guys in here bashing on me. I have to defend myself!

Ok, here's what's up. I regret selling it. I'm a gear whore. I didn't want to admit it. It makes me cold inside.

The clean channel on the amp. Best of any amp I've had except 2: Sunn Model T reissue and (soon to have!) valvetech hayseed 30. Amps triple the cost of the Carvin cannot compete with the cleans. that's just the way it is. It makes me cry every time I think about not having the cleans. They were gorgeous. I would say "fender clean", but they are BETTER than fender.

The distortion was where I wasn't as excited. Not because it wasn't great (it was), but it wasn't great for ME. I didn't try to boost it, I admit that, and I know I should have. I would have liked a tad more distortion, but the amp was definitely great for classic rock tones. It took a little tweaking to get both channels sounding good together, but it's definitely possible.

And the single greatest reason that I have for selling the amp was I didn't have a footswitch for it. I know, dumb, right? But they're impossible to find! and they're like microphone inputs! BAH!

Alright, there you have it. My love and frustration, my highs and lows, my pains and joy with the amp.

• Members

What pickups?............my amp just loves P90's! The only problem with my amp is the speaker, my original Electro-voice speaker is shot so I put in an old Carvin GT12 in it. It's a great speaker for cleans and slight distortion but it HELLA sux for Metal:cry:.........I guess I have to get one of those $250 Black Label EVM speakers:cry:..I miss the crushing lows that that speaker has...............*talks wife into letting me buy it*

The pickups in my firebird are stock mini-humbuckers.

Yeah? Was the original unlabeled? I'm not sure what mine is??

• Members

You guys in here bashing on me. I have to defend myself!

Ok, here's what's up. I regret selling it. I'm a gear whore. I didn't want to admit it. It makes me cold inside.

The clean channel on the amp. Best of any amp I've had except 2: Sunn Model T reissue and (soon to have!) valvetech hayseed 30. Amps triple the cost of the Carvin cannot compete with the cleans. that's just the way it is. It makes me cry every time I think about not having the cleans. They were gorgeous. I would say "fender clean", but they are BETTER than fender.

The distortion was where I wasn't as excited. Not because it wasn't great (it was), but it wasn't great for ME. I didn't try to boost it, I admit that, and I know I should have. I would have liked a tad more distortion, but the amp was definitely great for classic rock tones. It took a little tweaking to get both channels sounding good together, but it's definitely possible.

And the single greatest reason that I have for selling the amp was I didn't have a footswitch for it. I know, dumb, right? But they're impossible to find! and they're like microphone inputs! BAH!

Alright, there you have it. My love and frustration, my highs and lows, my pains and joy with the amp.

nice.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Congratulations, I have the same model amp and its still going strong. The output is huge on this amp and the EQ is really useful for solos. It is reentless in delivering a full rich sound. It gives the low bottom end that I find lacking in quite a few amops out there.

Archived