New Amp DAY!! Carvin X-100 1x12 Combo

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I was planning on hitting up this music store for an old silverface champ, that was sitting there when I picked up my Jubilee. Sadly it was gone....

...actually I'm glad....because I decided to go to another store down the road. I walk in and there I see a Randall RGT-100 ES tube head....."Oooo" I said to myself. Normally, there isn't {censored} for shot around here. So I ask them if I can play it.....sounded real good on the clean channel....nothing special....and the gain channel was fizzy....could have been the tubes or speakers? Who knows? So just because it's a tube amp, I ask him how much....$350 he says.....I say how about $300.....nope....$330 with tax out the door. DEAL! So they're filling out the paperwork, and I turn around and there it was......

Carvin X-100 Combo.

Look at the tag.....$299.

So I ask to try it out......*boner*.....I knew right there. Said, forget the Randall....I'll take this. Asked if he could budge on the price, and said no....it's was a consignment item, and that he's only getting 15% as it was. So I said....hmmm....I'll TAKE IT!!!?!!>?!!!:love: From what I can tell $300 is a good price....especially since it looks like it has brand new tubes.

Here I am. NAD.....again!

Carvin X-100 1x12 Combo made on 12/12/84 w/ what appears to be a Eminence speaker of some sort? Although I've read it's a EV something? Not sure??

It has the standard....Treble, middle, bass and presence tone controls. Also 5 band slider EQ, which is switchable to either Rhythm or Lead. I prefer it on the lead channel since I can tweak the clean with the TMB and use the 5 band to really make the lead channel sound usable. It also has a pull "bright" switch on the clean channel, pull "ON" for channel switching and a pull "hi lead" on the lead channel. Which seems to act as a boost or bass cut? I really don't know much about these amps....so I'm just telling you what I know.

This amps also features two inputs......one of which is hotter then the other.....I assume for various output guitars. On the back it has an speaker impedance switch, extra speaker out, foot-switchable FX Loop (with switchable level (+4/0/-10), switchable reverb, XLR direct out and Full/50%/25% output level switch. The output switch is really nice for low volume jamming with cranked tone. I'm not sure if it's a attenuator or pentode/triode or cutting off tubes or what??

If anyone has any info or links to info, it would be greatly appreciated!

Onto the SOUNDS!! I don't have any clips but I'll do the best I can.

Cleans= :love: x a lot. :D

I thought the cleans on my Bassman were nice, and I thought the cleans on my old Traynor were nice, and I've also thought the cleans on my TOL were nice. Nope. This thing kills them all. Just spectacular. On par with FENDER CLEANS! With the addition of the 5 band EQ, the options are limitless. Full, sparkly, chimey, round......everything. Just perfect and flexible. The tone controls are very effective and barely need to be messed with. I have a PRS Singlecut SE with a pair of old Dimarzio Super Distortions.....very high output pickups. I cannot get the 100w clean setting to distort.....granted I haven't turned it up past 5 yet.:freak::lol: Amazing.

Dirt= vintage rock tones.

The gain channel ranges from really nice clean at low settings to crunchy classic rock/heavy classic rock tone with the "hi lead" engaged and fat fat fat round woman tone with the "hi lead" pushed in (almost a cocked wah in the bass position).

It can't do metal....maybe chuggy thrash.....maybe.....but everything up to that point it does well. Like I said.....I'm using the 5 band on the dirt channel....because I can dial the clean channel in with the TMB-P controls, and make it sound really good.....then use the 5 band EQ to tweak the gain channel to perfection. This channel really has a Marshall-y type sound.....but I would say has more low end balls and less fizz.

Overall, this amp has more low end then any of the other amps I have. Just massive sonic area. Even with all of that low end, it remains clear, and balanced.

I don't even think I'll get into all of the options with the output level selector. Okay, maybe just a little.....

25% mode-You can crank it full up on both channel at a reasonable volumes. loud enough to crank it full up in your home....you might annoy your family, but you definitely won't annoy the neighbors. Even the clean channel breaks up nicely. This also allows you to dial in a bit more gain....even VH type stuff.

Carvin001.jpg

Carvin002.jpg

Carvin003.jpg

Carvin005.jpg

Carvin007.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I miss the old 212 version I had. You can try a tubescreamer in front of the lead channel for heavier tones. It won't be quite as heavy sounding as the head version through a closed back cab but should still get fairly heavy, and the tubescreamer tightens it up nicely, IMO. Good grab. :cool:

• Members

I miss the old 212 version I had. You can try a tubescreamer in front of the lead channel for heavier tones. It won't be quite as heavy sounding as the head version through a closed back cab but should still get fairly heavy, and the tubescreamer tightens it up nicely, IMO. Good grab.
:cool:

I'm going to try that tomorrow....I really wanted to see what I could dial in without any pedals.

I have a FDII I'm really looking forward to trying....and a Crunchbox .:love:

From what I hear....it can do a decent KISS type gain without pedals......it's a little too loose in the low end for straight up thrash metal. The FDII will really tighten that up.:wave:

I'm thinking that if I'm still digging it in a few months....I'm going to ditch some of my other gear and buy the head version too.:cop:

Why did you end up getting rid of your X-100 anyway?

• Members

I'm going to try that tomorrow....I really wanted to see what I could dial in without any pedals.

I have a FDII I'm really looking forward to trying....and a Crunchbox .
:love:

From what I hear....it can do a decent KISS type gain without pedals......it's a little too loose in the low end for straight up thrash metal. The FDII will really tighten that up.
:wave:

I think you're really going to like what the fulldrive will do. :cool: I'm not sure how the crunch box will act with the dirt channel but imagine it'd sound really nice through the clean channel. :)

I'm thinking that if I'm still digging it in a few months....I'm going to ditch some of my other gear and buy the head version too.
:cop:

Why did you end up getting rid of your X-100 anyway?

I had to sell the combo version I had to get the head version in the pic below. It was my favorite X100 amp, and that amp I LOST after I pawned it getting caught up in getting married/expenses and I actually FORGOT to get it out and lost it for only $125. :cry: There have been times since then that I'd had $ saved up with the intention of buying another 6L6 combo version but can't ever find them at the right time. :(

• Members

I think you're really going to like what the fulldrive will do.
I'm not sure how the crunch box will act with the dirt channel but imagine it'd sound really nice through the clean channel.
:)

I had to sell the combo version I had to get the head version in the pic below. It was my favorite X100 amp, and that amp I LOST after I pawned it getting caught up in getting married/expenses and I actually FORGOT to get it out and lost it for only $125.
:cry:
There have been times since then that I'd had $ saved up with the intention of buying another 6L6 combo version but can't ever find them at the right time.
:(

Yeah....I'll have to give the effects loop a shot too.

That's my plan....see how the CB is with the clean channel. God, I love that clean channel.

Oh man....that sucks.

Did you prefer the combo version or the head version?

What else do you know about these? I can't find much for info? :idk:

• Members

Yeah....I'll have to give the effects loop a shot too.

That's my plan....see how the CB is with the clean channel. God, I love that clean channel.

Oh man....that sucks.

Did you prefer the combo version or the head version?

What else do you know about these? I can't find much for info?
:idk:

I love their cleans, too, and have been wanting to try out a crunch box for a long time. :cool:

Regarding the head/combo versions, I liked the ability to just grab the 212 and drag it with me to band practice, playing at churches back then, friends houses, etc., and the clean may've sounded just a bit better to me than the head version, though I think the open-back combo design is the reason. The head version had the better heavy sounds through closed back cabs. I never disconnected the internal speakers on the 212 when I played it through the same Carvin 412 cab, so that likely has something to do with it, though. Both sounded great to me for both cleans and dirt (with a boost). :cool:

Check out this site for their Carvin amp forum: http://www.carvinmuseum.com/

There's also the carvin.com forum, though I prefer the carvinmuseum one.

You can go here and click on the guitar picks with years on them to get amp info and on the first link I posted you can get schematics and other info, as well. http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/eighties-guitaramps.html

• Members

I love their cleans, too, and have been wanting to try out a crunch box for a long time.

Regarding the head/combo versions, I liked the ability to just grab the 212 and drag it with me to band practice, playing at churches back then, friends houses, etc., and the clean may've sounded just a bit better to me than the head version, though I think the open-back combo design is the reason. The head version had the better heavy sounds through closed back cabs. I never disconnected the internal speakers on the 212 when I played it through the same Carvin 412 cab, so that likely has something to do with it, though. Both sounded great to me for both cleans and dirt (with a boost).

Check out this site for their Carvin amp forum:
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/

There's also the carvin.com forum, though I prefer the carvinmuseum one.

You can go here and click on the guitar picks with years on them to get amp info and on the first link I posted you can get schematics and other info, as well.
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/eighties-guitaramps.html

I normally prefer just using the amp gain and a booster rather then the clean + a pedal.....I'm glad I like the gain channel.:thu:

There's so much low end anyway......I'm happy with the open back too.

I agree.....both channels sound super good....tons of flexability.

Have you ever played anything Mesa? Does the X-100 compare?

THANKS FOR THE LINKS!!!:wave:

• Members

I normally prefer just using the amp gain and a booster rather then the clean + a pedal.....I'm glad I like the gain channel.
:thu:

There's so much low end anyway......I'm happy with the open back too.

I agree.....both channels sound super good....tons of flexability.

Have you ever played anything Mesa? Does the X-100 compare?

THANKS FOR THE LINKS!!!
:wave:

For the two channels, I set the 5-band eq on for the lead channel and adjusted the clean using just the main eq and it ended up working out really well for what I wanted. :cool:

As far as Mesas go, I've played a few and would compare the Carvin a lot more with an early Mark series (with a little less gain) that than something more modern like a Rectifier. With a tubescreamer I was easily able to get Slayer-level gain with the head version and pretty close with the Combo, as well. I guess the Carvins sounded somewhat Marshally to me when boosted even though they had 6L6 tubes (except my current one which has el34's but doesn't sound as good to me as the 6L6 versions).

• Members

For the two channels, I set the 5-band eq on for the lead channel and adjusted the clean using just the main eq and it ended up working out really well for what I wanted.

As far as Mesas go, I've played a few and would compare the Carvin a lot more with an early Mark series (with a little less gain) that than something more modern like a Rectifier. With a tubescreamer I was easily able to get Slayer-level gain with the head version and pretty close with the Combo, as well. I guess the Carvins sounded somewhat Marshally to me even though they had 6L6 tubes (except my current one which has el34's but doesn't sound as good to me as the 6L6 versions).

Yep....those are my thoughts exactly. Just perfect.:love:

Right.....I've never really played a mesa....:lol:

How different is it from the lower gain Mesas?

SLAYER! Tight, hairy crunch....now...that's the only thing it's really missing....:idea:

I can hear the Marshall aspect, but it also that that extended low end.....:love:

• Members

Yep....those are my thoughts exactly. Just perfect.

Right.....I've never really played a mesa....
:lol:
How different is it from the lower gain Mesas?

SLAYER! Tight, hairy crunch....now...that's the only thing it's really missing....
:idea:

I can hear the Marshall aspect, but it also that that extended low end.....

I've only played a few Mesas, including a couple I can barely recall at all from the '80s at music shops and the muddy-sounding preamp pedal, a Single Rec for a few minutes, an older amp without a 5-band eq (I think it was a calibre series but not sure; it sounded crappy to me whatever it was :D), a Mark I a long time ago, and I got to hear a Mark IV for a while in person at an ampfest though I didn't stay long enough to play through it. I think it was most similar to the Mark I. The boost in front is the key to getting a hot-rodded British-type tone. I can't recall the exact eq settings though the 5-band was set in a V shape like many Mark owners set theirs to, and the gain was pulled and on 7 or 8 with the tubescreamer level, gain, and tone all about halfway up.

One advantage you might have with the fulltone is possibly a bit more bass on the pedal than my ts-10 has, so it won't be quite as drastic a change and cut when kicking in the boost. I had the ts set right behind the footswitch and simultaneously clicked both on when I went to the lead channel and almost never used the amp's own gain unboosted. The last band I was in said that thing sounded huge, though I'm not sure if that was a compliment or a complaint now that I think about it. :D

• Members

I've only played a few Mesas, including a couple I can barely recall at all from the '80s at music shops and the muddy-sounding preamp pedal, a Single Rec for a few minutes, an older amp without a 5-band eq (I think it was a calibre series but not sure; it sounded crappy to me whatever it was
:D
), a Mark I a long time ago, and I got to hear a Mark IV for a while in person at an ampfest though I didn't stay long enough to play through it. I think it was most similar to the Mark I. The boost in front is the key to getting a hot-rodded British-type tone. I can't recall the exact eq settings though the 5-band was set in a V shape like many Mark owners set theirs to, and the gain was pulled and on 7 or 8 with the tubescreamer level, gain, and tone all about halfway up.

One advantage you might have with the fulltone is possibly a bit more bass on the pedal than my ts-10 has, so it won't be quite as drastic a change and cut when kicking in the boost. I had the ts set right behind the footswitch and simultaneously clicked both on when I went to the lead channel and almost never used the amp's own gain unboosted. The last band I was in said that thing sounded huge, though I'm not sure if that was a compliment or a complaint now that I think about it.
:D

So...you don't like Mesas but like th X-100B?:confused: Furthermore, it doesn't sound a mesa, I'm quessing.

I would think the less bass I cut with the FDII the less tight it will get....

Why didn't you use the effects loop?

I think that's what attracted me to the amp.....it's inherant "huge-ness".

It's what I've been trying to make my other amps do.....for the longest time.:cry:

• Members

Wow, the memories. That was my first ever amp, new when I was 14 or 15. Ended up selling it in '94 for probably around what you paid for it. That was a great amp. I'd love to get one back someday.

So, you owned it for around 10 years?:confused:

Why'd you end up getting rid of it?

• Members

So...you don't like Mesas but like th X-100B?
:confused:
Furthermore, it doesn't sound a mesa, I'm quessing.

I would think the less bass I cut with the FDII the less tight it will get....

Why didn't you use the effects loop?

I think that's what attracted me to the amp.....it's inherant "huge-ness".

It's what I've been trying to make my other amps do.....for the longest time.
:cry:

I definitely liked the Mesas except the footswitch preamp and whatever the older one was without the onboard 5-band eq. I really like the Mark IV a lot. :cool: Admittedly I'm more into Marshall and other British-type tones, though. It might be that the Carvins sound more Marshally to me based on how I've always eq'd them and how the boost interacts with the amp gain on them.

On the head version in the pic I posted, it had been modded with a PPI master volume which really came in handy when running other preamps into it and just using it as a power amp. Other than that I've mainly only run a chorus pedal and wah in front and just haven't needed to use the fx loops though I haven't noticed any problems with them when trying them.

When it comes to tightness and hugeness it can be a tradeoff of finding a happy medium. I had to work a while to keep it from sounding whoofy, as well, but I've been able to get each one of them I've owned to work out well for me. My happy medium still sounded pretty fat and mean and still good for thrash, which I love. :cool:

• Members

I definitely liked the Mesas except the footswitch preamp and whatever the older one was without the onboard 5-band eq. I really like the Mark IV a lot.
Admittedly I'm more into Marshall and other British-type tones, though. It might be that the Carvins sound more Marshally to me based on how I've always eq'd them and how the boost interacts with the amp gain on them.

On the head version in the pic I posted, it had been modded with a PPI master volume which really came in handy when running other preamps into it and just using it as a power amp. Other than that I've mainly only run a chorus pedal and wah in front and just haven't needed to use the fx loops though I haven't noticed any problems with them when trying them.

When it comes to tightness and hugeness it can be a tradeoff of finding a happy medium. I had to work a while to keep it from sounding whoofy, as well, but I've been able to get each one of them I've owned to work out well for me. My happy medium still sounded pretty fat and mean and still good for thrash, which I love.

I've always liked that "marshall" tone....but could never bond with it....when I actually played through one. I have a Marshall Jubilee, that's pretty nice, but just not my cup of tea.:idk::cry:

I was thinking that while I was typing my last message.....it can get too woofy easily. I was getting some real deep cocked wah tones with the "hi lead" pushed in. it would be great for cutting leads in a thick mix.

I'm hoping it'll do some "Ride the Lightning" or "Kill'em all" type tones with a boost.:love:

• Members

I've always liked that "marshall" tone....but could never bond with it....when I actually played through one. I have a Marshall Jubilee, that's pretty nice, but just not my cup of tea.
:idk::cry:

I was thinking that while I was typing my last message.....it can get too woofy easily. I was getting some real deep cocked wah tones with the "hi lead" pushed in. it would be great for cutting leads in a thick mix.

I'm hoping it'll do some "Ride the Lightning" or "Kill'em all" type tones with a boost.

It may take a little bit to get the best tones you can once you get the boost involved, and the 5-band should help you get something you like and I'm thinking the boost should definitely help with any whoofiness though just a little too much gain may actually contribute to it. And you can always try unplugging the internal speakers and running into a separate cab if you still have one.

I always liked playing a bit of Trapped Under Ice as a warmup and thought I got a pretty good sound for it with the boost. :cool:

• Members

It may take a little bit to get the best tones you can once you get the boost involved, and the 5-band should help you get something you like and the boost should definitely help with any whoofiness though just a little too much gain may actually contribute to it. And you can always try unplugging the internal speakers and running into a separate cab if you still have one.

I always liked playing a bit of Trapped Under Ice as a warmup and thought I got a pretty good sound for it with the boost.

I was liking some of the lower gain tones I was getting out of the lead channel.....once you back off the gain to 3 or less....the tone really brightens up. Very jangly, almost Vox-like.:cool:

I'm going to give my 2x12 with WGS Green Berets a try, along with my 4x12 with V30s and G12T-75 in an X pattern. I'm thinking that combo will kick some ass.:rawk:

TUI=:love:

• Members

I was liking some of the lower gain tones I was getting out of the lead channel.....once you back off the gain to 3 or less....the tone really brightens up. Very jangly, almost Vox-like.

I'm going to give my 2x12 with WGS Green Berets a try, along with my 4x12 with V30s and G12T-75 in an X pattern. I'm thinking that combo will kick some ass.
:rawk:

TUI=

Nice. :) I wish I had that good a variety of speakers to run through (and I wouldn't mind a FD or CB pedal, either ;)]~! :D:cool:

• Members

Because of this thread I fired up my old '81 X100 combo tonite...........after changing the pre-amp tube and running it into another cab(speaker was shot)........that old this has MUCHO BALLS!!! I guess I forgot how awesome that amp really is:thu:...........p.s. my circuit board has "X100-C" instead of "B":confused:

Archived