Jca20H Mod thread and owners club.

Edge11

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
I was thinking of doing this, so I took some readings again. It appears that my wall voltage sucks (I'm getting upwards of 135 V in my wall outlet). I am getting up to ~380+ V on my B+ at times, then when my A/C kicks on, washer and dryer, etc., it runs back down to as low as 362-364.

What voltage should I bias at? It seems that if I bias at one voltage, it's off at another one.
bias it a bit high (but within limits)@380v that way it will still be ok if your voltage drops.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Turns out I've probably got a loose neutral on my incoming 220. I've been having issues with lights in my house randomly getting brighter/dimmer, thought it was just stuff kicking on and off. Well, after I measured that high voltage at the wall the other night and doing some research, it sounds like a loose neutral. Power company is coming out today...

At any rate, power was running ~120V yesterday when I got home, so I cracked it open again, biased it up to 20mA, and, wow, it sounds really, really good, best improvement I've made yet!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by theDogger View Post
Ok here are some sot of the mods that I have done to one of my JCA20H.
*Choke
*BitMo Surfa

choke3.jpg

choke2.jpg

choke1.jpg

bitmo.jpg

I run the Heads though a TubeJuice Attenuator and sounds SWEET!

cab1.jpg

theDogger
Sweet man, what did you think of the mods over all?
give us your review!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mblooper45 View Post
Sweet man, what did you think of the mods over all?
give us your review!
Overall I am very very happy with the mods. I am playing the JCA20H more than my Boogie and 6262. I can now get everything from VH to Slipknot. I really like the OD switch....I did use the optional R on the M-Stack switch so I have some control of the MID and TREB..but swapping the tubes is s must. I ran through several different tubes and ended up with all JJ's and the most important was the 12AT7 in V2. Gave some head room and took the fuzz of at higher volumes....The amp sounds very thick and clean running through the TUBEJUICE. Bass@8 Mid@1-4 Treb@4-6 GAIN@6-8

Now if JCA would come out with a JetPack for an effects Loop I'd be set!icon_lol.gif

I wish that I had the ability to record some sound and video....mad.gif

theDogger

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Twebbz View Post
Check out the Jet City website. The Jet Packs are now available, including circuit modded JCA20Hs with effects loop. However, they are not low priced.
What good are the JETPACK if they are not DIY. Why in the world you pay $700 for an amp that for $100 and DIY you can add the OD and an effects loop. You are paying for the 3rd party name!facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Real JETPACKS should be DIY kits......

Lets face it the JCA amps are great amps that have a lot of potential and for the price you can't beat it...but with the prices that they are asking for the modded amp its like polishing a terd!!confused.gif

People who are buying these amps are buying them for the price to performance ratio....why kill that! Keep it that way with real JETPACKS that are DIY!

My 2cents

theDogger

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Twebbz

View Post

Actually I'd like the standard JCA20H with just an effects loop and a good digital reverb. Lots of room on the back panel for a reverb control knob. I can get the distortion I want from pedals.

for reals? you would want to put a DSP in a JCA20H?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Twebbz

View Post

Actually I'd like the standard JCA20H with just an effects loop and a good digital reverb. Lots of room on the back panel for a reverb control knob. I can get the distortion I want from pedals.

If you can get your distortion from a pedal, why not the reverb, too? idn_smilie.gif

• Members
What good are the JETPACK if they are not DIY. Why in the world you pay $700 for an amp that for $100 and DIY you can add the OD and an effects loop. You are paying for the 3rd party name!facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Real JETPACKS should be DIY kits......

Lets face it the JCA amps are great amps that have a lot of potential and for the price you can't beat it...but with the prices that they are asking for the modded amp its like polishing a terd!!confused.gif

People who are buying these amps are buying them for the price to performance ratio....why kill that! Keep it that way with real JETPACKS that are DIY!

My 2cents

theDogger
hi again... working on some options...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jet city amps

View Post

I presume because you want the reverb inserted in a different point in your amp's signal path - not before the preamp.

I would assume that the effects loop would take care of that? Regardless, an effects loop would be cool but I see no benefit to putting digital effects into an all-tube amp.

• Members

I went to bias my JCA20H today and found that I'm getting different bias readings on the blue and brown wires coming off the power transformer? I know it's okay to be a little bit off but one is 22ma while the other is 24.2ma.
These are brand new JJ tubes.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jet city amps View Post
for reals? you would want to put a DSP in a JCA20H?
NOOOOOO, i remeber we already had this discussion on jca's facebook, no dsp doug.
Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus View Post
If you can get your distortion from a pedal, why not the reverb, too? idn_smilie.gif
This!
Quote Originally Posted by bluewind75 View Post
I went to bias my JCA20H today and found that I'm getting different bias readings on the blue and brown wires coming off the power transformer? I know it's okay to be a little bit off but one is 22ma while the other is 24.2ma.
These are brand new JJ tubes.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Mis matched tubes, lol mine are 4 ma mismached stock.
dont freak about it, run one where you want it *withinrange of course* and let the other one run a bit cooler.

And dogger I'm working on some 20H D.I.Ys in between doing things for school and working so bear with, the most recent thing I have been working on is making deus' clean channel mod foot switchable. When i get the money to get the parts I need i'll post a how to.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Twebbz View Post
Well if you could fit a spring reverb in the cabinet that would be cool. I have a T-Rex reverb pedal that I bought to go with the JCA20H. Doesn't sound right, could be the pedal.
Outboard digital reverbs have set us free.

I've always been dead set against reverbs in heads.To me reverbs are a combo amp thing.Unless it's like a full on trem/reverb/dual channel vintage type thing.

My VHT Pitbull 50 has a tube driven reverb I never use it-it's not particularly deep either.So it's a feature that probably added $100 to the price of the amp that sits dormant taking up space makes chassis removal difficult, adds weight, gotta make sure the knob is turned all the way down, make sure it's switched off or it sucks tone ......

Then there was my Laney VH100R-the head is already heavy it didnt need a spring reverb in it.

There are too many good reverb options out there to put a freaking spring filled metal tank and extra circuitry in a small head.Weight noize extra internal cables.

effects loop is a great idea just a basic no frills serial loop.

• Members
Overall I am very very happy with the mods. I am playing the JCA20H more than my Boogie and 6262. I can now get everything from VH to Slipknot. I really like the OD switch....I did use the optional R on the M-Stack switch so I have some control of the MID and TREB..but swapping the tubes is s must. I ran through several different tubes and ended up with all JJ's and the most important was the 12AT7 in V2. Gave some head room and took the fuzz of at higher volumes....The amp sounds very thick and clean running through the TUBEJUICE. Bass@8 Mid@1-4 Treb@4-6 GAIN@6-8

Now if JCA would come out with a JetPack for an effects Loop I'd be set!icon_lol.gif

I wish that I had the ability to record some sound and video....mad.gif

theDogger
Did the 12AT7 in V2 drop the gain a bunch? I like the level of gain I'm getting, but I'd like to try the AT in V2.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyChords View Post
Outboard digital reverbs have set us free.

I've always been dead set against reverbs in heads.To me reverbs are a combo amp thing.Unless it's like a full on trem/reverb/dual channel vintage type thing.

My VHT Pitbull 50 has a tube driven reverb I never use it-it's not particularly deep either.So it's a feature that probably added $100 to the price of the amp that sits dormant taking up space makes chassis removal difficult, adds weight, gotta make sure the knob is turned all the way down, make sure it's switched off or it sucks tone ......

Then there was my Laney VH100R-the head is already heavy it didnt need a spring reverb in it.

There are too many good reverb options out there to put a freaking spring filled metal tank and extra circuitry in a small head.Weight noize extra internal cables.

effects loop is a great idea just a basic no frills serial loop.
what about digital reverb from a pedal? interested?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jet city amps View Post
what about digital reverb from a pedal? interested?
Oh you want to make a reverb pedal using the same chip eveybody else does lol.

Actually considering the forward thinking and the desire to have integrity in brand -go for it. thumb.gif

Some seem to work better than others so you may want to take the opprotunity to improve the model.

The single knob style Holy Grail/Mr Springy etc etc suffers from some kind of signal feedback.They like to be placed after an ovedrive and for some reason as volume goes up the effect gets wildly sensitive.

Loud clean amps not a problem.Overdrive seems to be an issue

It would be a good idea to have input/output controls-not just a mix control.Jet City makes amps with heavy overdrive plus the end user adds overdrive so I suggest ensuring peripheral products work with the design and end use in mind.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
Did the 12AT7 in V2 drop the gain a bunch? I like the level of gain I'm getting, but I'd like to try the AT in V2.

You will notice it but I love 12AT7's in V2 of amps!

Do you run the gain wide open?

Try a 5751 instead it has little less gain than a 12ax7.

Archived