Sign in to follow this  
Jack E Martling

The best singer/songwriter ever!

Who is the best singer/songwriter ever?

I'm going to cast 3 votes right off the bat for Merle Haggard. He's written so many great songs, his singing can't be beat, his bands have been great and he plays some pretty good guitar himself.

2 names for you to shoot me down with:

a. Mark Knopfler

b. Gordon Lightfoot

I would be interested in the responses of Rob Q and the other Canadian forumites as to the latter.

Russ T

Originally posted by babybatter

3) Ben Harper

I don't recall anyone on the Vets Forum ever uttering the words "Ben Harper." All Vets should check him out, he writes great songs, sings them well and plays awe-inspiring slide guitar on early 1900-s Weissenborn guitars. Ben Harper gets three thumbs up from Jack E Martling!

John Fogerty. If you x out "singer", I'd say

Ludvig Van. He would also win the "best deaf pianist" award. :D

1. Paul Simon

2. Cat Stevens

3. Don McClean

4. Billy Joel

5. Bruce Springsteen

Originally posted by Fred5

Ludvig Van. He would also win the "best deaf pianist" award.
:D

Ummm... While I feel strongly that the man possessed divine, godly, inhuman talent and has few peers, I'm not sure if he fits the singer/songwriter bill. After all, the man was not a lyricist. Secondly, his work for the human voice doesn't (for the most part) rank among his best. Furthermore, he only composed a single opera, which is of course beautiful, but flawed just the same. Perhaps Mozart, Verdi, or Wagner (who'd probably be the best candidate, given that he wrote his own librettos) would be better suited to the title. As to whether any of them could sing (except through their compositions), we'll never be able to judge with our own ears.

John Fogerty. If you x out "singer",

Awww come on, Fogerty's voice makes me want to keep on chooglin' for days on end. He's one of those kick-ass singer/songwriter/guitar players that just makes you want to throw your guitars, fountain pens, notebooks and vocal cords in the trash.

Originally posted by babybatter

1) Neil

2) JT

3) Ben Harper

4) Sarah Mcglaughlin

I like the way you think :)

Paul McCartney

Elton John

Jimi Hendrix

Billy Joel

Little Richard

Lindsay Buckingham

Sting

Chuck Berry

Melissa Etheridge

David Bowie

John Lennon

Robert Cray

Mark Knopfler

Christine McKvie

Well, that's enough talent for the next 400 years of MTV music awards.

:cool:

-wp

Originally posted by ralphster007

Ummm... While I feel strongly that the man possessed divine, godly, inhuman talent and has few peers, I'm not sure if he fits the singer/songwriter bill. After all, the man was not a lyricist. Secondly, his work for the human voice doesn't (for the most part) rank among his best. Furthermore, he only composed a single opera, which is of course beautiful, but flawed just the same. Perhaps Mozart, Verdi, or Wagner (who'd probably be the best candidate, given that he wrote his own librettos) would be better suited to the title. As to whether any of them could sing (except through their compositions), we'll never be able to judge with our own ears.

Well, without ignorance divine

lack of knowledge such as mine

We wouldn't have much of a forum ;)

Originally posted by Jack E Martling

Awww come on, Fogerty's voice makes me want to keep on chooglin' for days on end. He's one of those kick-ass singer/songwriter/guitar players that just makes you want to throw your guitars, fountain pens, notebooks and vocal cords in the trash.

I ment Ludvig didn't sing much (check with ralphster ;) ) When I saw John F like 4 years ago

with his new band... man... He just shined like a diamond.

My favorite singer/songwriter is a guy named Tommy Flanders He only recorded one LP, called "The Moonstone" which was made in 1969, and never found an audience. But it is an exquisite album. The songs are all great, Flanders is (or was) a fantastic singer, and the guitar work by Bruce Langhorne and the late Dick Rosmini is some of the nices tuff I've ever heard.

The fact that this album flopped, and Flanders never received the recognition he deserved, is a real shame.

I ment Ludvig didn't sing much (check with ralphster
;)
) When I saw John F like 4 years ago

with his new band... man... He just shined like a diamond.

I saw him on that tour and he was great. The solo record he put out before that tour, Blue Moon Fever was a fantastic record. Supposedly he spent a good amount of time in Mississipi soaking up the atmosphere of the Deep South and woodshedding on the guitar before he made the record. Either way the shows were phenomenal, Rickenbackers, Telescasters, Les Pauls and Kustom & Vox amps out the old "yin-yang." Smokin' guitar tone, great vocals and killer songs to spare! You can't ask for much more than that.

Chuck Berry/John Fogerty...Rock 'n Roll

Lennon and McCartney...Rock 'n Roll, Pop, you name it

I love Merle Haggard

How come nobody has mentioned Willie?

And I know they really aren't, but I get a kick out of Jerry Jeff,

John Prine, and Gary Nunn