guitar amp heads that light up

iracemx199

• Members

So have a Peavey Valvking head that I'm am thinking about outfitting with some lights, kind of like how Hughes&Kettner amps light up when you turn them on. Anybody know how I would go about doing this? I was thinking of using neon lights like they use in cars and computer towers, but I have no idea how I would power them or wire them into the amp's power system.

Any ideas? Or know anyone that has done this? :thu:

• Members

^ and EL-wire is out for the same reason... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

actually not entirely true, you can drive it with the audio signal on the HT side of the output transformer - no hum and it changes intensity as you play! Certain EL wires will change color through blue-green too with frequency (I think the uncoated type) - Of course that might be a bit gimmicky.

• Members

I don't know how you'd do it yourself, but I have a H&K and a picture to show how they do it. There are no visible lights anywhere, and no lights behind the dials, but LEDs along the top edge of the plexi shining down. The logo is frosted (or maybe just white paint, don't remember), so it lights up from the light going down past it, same with the rest of the lettering for the settings.

• Members

[ATTACH]290486[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]290487[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]290488[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]290489[/ATTACH]

you are going to need a small independent transformer to run your LEDs. Wire it to the LEDs, then to a simple switch that connects to the power source. Check it out.

• Members

should be a no brainer then man. It is just a matter of connecting a few wires and a simple transformer. Shouldnt cost more than 30 bucks to do. Do some research on google and go to radio shack.

alright man. thanks for all your help. :thu:

Where do you suggest I get LEDs?

Archived