"67 Bandmaster; What would be the best speaker?

NamasteMusic

• Members

Hey all, I have just traded for an original(I Believe) Blackface '67 Fender Bandmaster head. But no cab to go with it, so I am wondering if any of you would have any suggestions (based on experience or good 'ol knowledge) Of what Speaker(brand/model/size) and Cabinet would best complement and get this amps full potential.

Please Help!!! I have been searching and searching, but all I find is different manufacturers trying to peddle their wares/ methods as being the best thing since sliced bread for all guitarists and then some.

Let me know if you need any more info.

namaste

• Members

4 ohm load. If you're looking for the old fender tone get old Jensons or Webers as already stated. Go to BLT sound & see what's in the Eminence line. These amps I think push about 40 watts. Pair of 10" 25 watt 8ohm Jensons paralleled may be the easiest way to go. Cost effective too, but I'm a cheap b@$t@%d.

• Members

Many original fenders came with Utah or Jenson speakers. Mince came with Altecs which were excelent speakers. Very loud. If you wanted to go with a smaller cabinet you can go to a 4X10 bassman sized cab. I have two cabs I built like that with 4X10" Jensen Alnico speakers. They sound exceptional for the blackface brown sound and get a nice earley Townsend/Who type sound. Be sure to check the power caps on the head. If they are the original brown ones, you'll definately need some new caps.

• Members
:thu:
Many original fenders came with Utah or Jenson speakers. Mince came with Altecs which were excelent speakers. Very loud. If you wanted to go with a smaller cabinet you can go to a 4X10 bassman sized cab. I have two cabs I built like that with 4X10" Jensen Alnico speakers. They sound exceptional for the blackface brown sound and get a nice earley Townsend/Who type sound. Be sure to check the power caps on the head. If they are the original brown ones, you'll definately need some new caps.

A complete cap job by a competent tech might be a good idea. Especially if you're like me & not a 'tron wiz. 3 prong power cord while he's at it.

• Members

Actually a cap job on those are as easy as it gets if you can solder. They're undernieth the removable cap behind the power tubes. Prices on the caps are reasonable too, like $25 or so. Either way the cover should be removed and caps inspected for buldging or leaking at the positive end. If the caps are Blue and no leakage, the caps have most likely been changed. The brown paper coated ones are the originals and should be replaced in either case. I got 30yrs out of mine before replacement but I wouldnt suggest that to anyone.

• Members

Thanks for all the info. I am actually working up the nerve to do the caps myself, but I don't even know if they need to be yet, I have a Gerald Weber DVD I am going to re-watch so I don't end up screwing anything up(or ending up dead from electric shock).

As far as speakers, the Blue Dogs are definitely out of my price range right now, but I just got a line on some vintage Jensen 10's for a really good price I am gonna check out tomorrow.

As far as the power rating, should I make sure the combined rating of the speakers is well above the potential output of the amp, or would exactly 40watts work as well?

• Members

I would make sure the total wattage is at least 60 to 80 watts. Jensons can be 15, 25, 35w each depending on the type. They do make a MOD Jenson ceramic speaker that are a cheaper version of they're standard Ceramic of Alnico speakers and arent bad at all. I saw prices on them for around $22 each awhile back bot you'll have to do some digging. If you're going with only two tens You might want to get a brand that has a higher SPL level. An SPL of 90 or more will give you a louder output volume wise or go with 2X 12" for a littel more gusto. 40W in a tube head is more like 100w transistor if you have the right speakers.

• Members

I just found a set of Jensen C12N Speakers, $130 for the set, what do you guys think, I think they are rated at 50W each there are also the C12Q's which are 35W each what do you think? I Ideally would like to use my Vol. and Tone controls for getting the Tube OD out of the amp. Which set up do you think would facilitate that better? More headroom or less headroom?

• Members

Those speakers were used in many fenders with the fender name slapped on them and they should do quite well. Wait till you get it up and rocking before looking ahead at how you'll get it to drive. Tube types are going to have a big role in that as well. Dont expect it to break up like a distortion or overdrive pedal. If it does you have a major problem. Fenders are normall clean till you get to 6 or 7 then its a mild breakup. Get a tube screamer or one of the clones and you'll be crankin with the best. A tube screamer with a tube amp is used more as a preamp to drive the amp into saturation vs an overdrive but it does push the tubes quite well. Even the Behringer version uses the same chip and sounds very close to the original so you dont need to break the bank buying a vintage or over the edge botique one to get the TS808 sound.

• Members

Given the previous posts I'd go with the Q's. But the head would probably drive the N's just fine. With the N's you'd have a little more cushion. And you never know. A higher watt head like a Bassman 50 might come your way. Let us know. I have a Hohner Marlin that's 50 SS Watts @ 4 ohms. I'm thinking about doing a cab build that I can later use with a Bandmaster or Bassman.

Archived