Sign in to follow this  
ShesGotVerve

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Sometimes I'm scared because I'm afraid when I die I'll become just. . . . .nothing - that I'll no longer. . . . exist. If I really meditate on that for any amount of time it scares me.

Then other times I wonder if maybe there is another life that we go to where we DO exist again. . . . maybe we live on another planet and we're real and alive again.

But I'm not sure either way. Whatdya think guys? :confused:

And while I'm at it and before I go to bed, what about this Heaven thing? If there really is a "Heaven", is it an interactive kind of place or just a state of being or something else?

Originally posted by ShesGotVerve

:(

Don't be :( , love!

I believe we've all done the best we could with what we had to work with. When we leave this mortal realm, if we CAN'T be reunited with those we loved the most that went before us---then I don't want to go anywhere.

Just let the worms eat me.

It ain't so bad.

I know I'm going to heaven, because (1) I believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins so we can all go to heaven and (2) I've been to hell, Satan has my last name and gets a check from me each month.

Seriously, God did not let me survive Cancer for no reason.

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Don't be
:(
, love!

I believe we've all done the best we could with what we had to work with. When we leave this mortal realm, if we CAN'T be reunited with those we loved the most that went before us---then I don't want to go anywhere.

Just let the worms eat me.

It ain't so bad.

I haven't had any important humans in my life die yet so I can't really wrap my brain around that. I just know I don't like the feeling I get when I think I might not "BE" anymore someday. :confused:

Originally posted by FlyingBloodyFrogBiscuit

I know I'm going to heaven, because (1) I believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins so we can all go to heaven and (2) I've been to hell, Satan has my last name and gets a check from me each month.

But FBX2, what do you think Heaven is? Do you think it's a real "place".....something you can touch.....? Do you think you start a second life there or it's just a nebulous vacuum that we read about in the bible?

I have no idea what I think it is, but I wonder about it more often than I wish sometimes.

But FBX2, what do you think Heaven is? Do you think it's a real "place".....something you can touch.....? Do you think you start a second life there or it's just a nebulous vacuum that we read about in the bible?

I have no idea what I think it is, but I wonder about it more often than I wish sometimes.

Honestly, I think Heaven is beyond our mere mortal understanding.

Originally posted by FlyingBloodyFrogBiscuit

Well, I don't believe that.

Any god that would send his creation to hell deserves no worship. I don't deal with terrorists in any venue or on any terms.

As far as having been to hell---you & me have had it damn easy. There are plenty who would put us to shame.

When we're done, we're done. We're just not that important.

I don't even think it much matters what happens. This is a concern of conscious reality. I accept that my conscious life as I know it will have ended, and what that happens with my life's energy, if anything, will be in some kind of manifestation to which I simply cannot understand in this life and so should not concern myself over silly fears of a very confusing sense of reality. In short, my answer is nothing and everything all at the same time which is no time at all: forever, which is never.

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

I don't even think it much matters what happens. This is a concern of conscious reality. I accept that my conscious life as I know it will have ended, and what that happens with my life's energy, if anything, will be in some kind of manifestation to which I simply cannot understand in this life and so should not concern myself over silly fears of a very confusing sense of reality. In short, my answer is nothing and everything all at the same time which is no time at all: forever, which is never.

:cool:

Worrying about an eventuality over which we have no control is pointless.

Originally posted by daddymack

That's one theory :cool:

That's one theory

werx 4 me...

We all know no one gets out alive, and no one has come back to tell us where we go. So either they don't think its worth telling us about, or there's no way back. Either way, we take our chances.:cool:

werx 4 me...

We all know no one gets out alive, and no one has come back to tell us where we go. So either they don't think its worth telling us about, or there's no way back. Either way, we take our chances.

My dad died 4x and he told me ALL about it.

When we're done, we're just done. Nothing supernatural about it.

But you believe what you'd like :cool:

We're just not that important, and no god is gonna intervene for your dead ass.

I'm going nowhere, I'll stay right here and we'll have the world first haunted bulletine board :cool:

Sorry to interject, but I have experienced too many things firsthand to believe that there is not something out there after we die.

I have lived in several documented "haunted" houses. I have seen with my own eyes, as well as witnesses around me, books fly off of shelves and ghosts. I have heard the sounds of past times pressing against today. I have felt the chills, and heat, of activity. I have smelled the scent of death. All of this without any reasonable explanation to be found.

I'm not saying any of this to brag or carry on, but I say this because I know there is something beyond this life. I believe it was Einstein (I think...I might be wrong on this), who figured out that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. It can be harnessed and used, but not created nor destroyed.

I am a Christian, and I know where I'm trying to get to. My physical remains may remain within the earth, but my soul shall soar....

Sorry for the heaviness...

Brandon

I don't think it's the end when your physical body dies.

You just proceed to another place.

Hopefully, a pleasant place.

I actually do think that when we die there is nothing.

It affects me the opposite of SGV - I find the thought of oblivion quite comforting. All our problems in this life just don't matter in the long run. We'll just blink out like a snuffed out candle and nothing will exist for us ever again.

Now that's what I call eternal rest.

On the other hand - if there is an after-life I hope it comes with guitars and we can all play like Tommy Emmanuel. :D

Heavy stuff... I ain't no expert:

I believe that when I kick the bucket the only thing that physically remains are the atoms that made up my body, all of the junk that I've managed to hoard, and any genetic material that I happen to pass on to unsuspecting offspring.

I believe that my "spirit" remains as the influence that I've had on other people and things during my brief existence.

Due to these beliefs, I don't believe in "clean-slate" forgiveness. Once you do something, the effect of that action exists and will remain as part of your legacy.

:)

My thoughts exactly.

Spend energy changing what you CAN change, so that when you're road kill you've actually contributed to the advancement of our species. I think death will be a relief, because living is hard work.

The whole issue over fear of the unknown/fear of dying/what happens after is a byproduct of centuries of christian brainwashing which has permeated our culture.

Superstition-nothing more or less.This is from those good people who taught you that a virgin was screwed by a ghost,remained a virgin and produced a child.Hmm.

If Einsteins theory is correct then we will still be around-as molecules of matter with no consciousness.

All the matter in the universe has always existed and always will-we truly were born of stars.

If you want to make yourself useful after death get buried and have a tree planted above you so you can fertilise it.

Originally posted by Andrewrg

If Einsteins theory is correct then we will still be around-as molecules of matter with no consciousness.

Is this actually what Einstein postulated? I wasn't familiar with this theory. Interesting.

Is this actually what Einstein postulated? I wasn't familiar with this theory. Interesting.

Well if you extend the assertion that since the big bang created all the matter in the universe,and that it is always going to exist,even if reconstituted into something we may not recognise as"matter",then yes.

I`m not sure if this is connected to relativity.

As Marilyn Monroe once said to him at dinner,"I hear you work with your relatives".

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Whatever's usable will be used, the rest goes in the ground to start a worm farm.

What happens to my consciousness? Ah, we'll see, I suppose.

I figure, if there's something beyond, wow, a new adventure, and one I wasn't counting on. If there's not, it won't matter much since I'll be, ya know, dead and all.

I've known some remarkable people in my life, and it would be cool to think I'll see them again. But I ain't counting on it.:cool:

And while I'm at it and before I go to bed, what about this Heaven thing? If there really is a "Heaven", is it an interactive kind of place or just a state of being or something else?

SGV,

I have never had a near death experience so as to come back an expert on the things I may or may not have seen on the other side. However, I have had experiences of what I would consider to be spiritual in nature that have led me to identify with born-again Christianity. These have been enough to convince me of the truth of the Bible, which has a lot to say about heaven itself and what it is like. The Bible doesn

Originally posted by gagnon

SGV,

I have never had a near death experience so as to come back an expert on the things I may or may not have seen on the other side. However, I have had experiences of what I would consider to be spiritual in nature that have led me to identify with born-again Christianity. These have been enough to convince me of the truth of the Bible, which has a lot to say about heaven itself and what it is like. The Bible doesn

I think it's nearly impossible for humans to conceive of complete nothingness. Just try to imagine no thoughts, no consciousness, no next step. Our minds are wired to always expect what's next. Emptiness can't possibly compute in our minds. It's sort of like trying to imagine and end to the vacuum of space. What would be out there? A brick wall that says, "Space ends here"? What's on the other side of the wall?

I know there are many who won't believe this, but we were created to expect something more...a continuation of something.

As to blaming God for "condemning" souls to Hell; it's not God who does it, it's we ourselves who make the choice. Blaming God may be convenient, but God did give all of us free will to choose. So, if God has a blueprint for how we are to attain heaven and we ignore or reject it, who then is to blame? Certainly not God, but we ourselves.

All I know is that I'm not about to live in eternity separated from the God who has given me so much to be thankful for. I believe in His plan, and I trust in His word. He's never let me down.

i believe that matter/energy is neither created or destroyed. the matter/energy that "i" am composed of will go on existing in other forms. hopefully i will leave some positive inertia that will benefit the rest of existence.

peace

I'm with Bill and Koiwoi - when you're dead, that's it. Someone asked me if I wasn't afraid to die. I said said no, because being dead, I won't be around to experience anything.

I do fear the process of dying, and hope I will go out fast in a massive stroke or the like. If the process is drawn out and painful, death will likely be welcomed.

When I was a kid, my dad gave me this advice....

"Son, don't worry too much about your problems. What's the worst that could happen? You'll either live or you'll die. If you live, OK, no problem. If you die, you'll either go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven, OK, no problem. And if you go to hell, you'll be so busy shaking hands with all your friends, you won't have time to worry."

Good old dad, always put things in perspective.

Well what gives me the heebie-jeebies isn't the idea of whether or not there's anything after death; it's the idea that one could come to welcome death.

The idea of being so sick, so exhausted, so alone, that in the end-game, you wouldn't mind dying - that's what terrifies me.

Gagnon, if I've EVER been insulting to your faith, I apologize. I don't share your beliefs, but I don't want to insult them (or you). I hope I haven't, but if I have, I'm truly sorry. [/quote

I dont' recall if you have. It's not like I keep a list of blackballed names stored somewhere in a dark room. :) But just in case you did, I accept your apology. :D

My mum died two years ago after a long and very painful illness.

Near the end she couldnt wait to die,to put an end to her suffering and pain.She had made peace with herself,was happy with her place in the world but at that point had had enough and wanted out-the last thing she was worried about was an afterlife or being greeted at heavens gate.

I have a very strong and verified belief in the afterlife, in reincarnation, in the evolution of the soul, in the metaphysical realm, in the fact that we have been here before and will be here again. I dont think there is a personified "God" or a heaven, but I think God is the summation of all energy, all intelligence, that there is definitely good and evil when it comes to energy and those who give and those who use, and that there is much, much much more to life than we examine daily through our five senses. Too much to go through here - I have had the near death experiences, I have had a close friend who "came back" after she was dead and we communicated, and I have met a handful of people through life with which I have strong incredible bonds that originated in past lives.

As for being planted vs cremated - I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread over a special river in the White Msn of NH. Not anytime soon, mind you. :D

i think it's like being in a very deep sleep, with no dreams, but only deeper.

and you never wake up, of course. ;)

"all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."

:)

1) My conciousness will go somewhere.

2) My conciousness will go nowhere (oblivion).

quite simple really:)

Originally posted by Bloozcat

I think it's nearly impossible for humans to conceive of complete nothingness. Just try to imagine no thoughts, no consciousness, no next step. Our minds are wired to always expect what's next. Emptiness can't possibly compute in our minds. It's sort of like trying to imagine and end to the vacuum of space. What would be out there? A brick wall that says, "Space ends here"? What's on the other side of the wall?

I know there are many who won't believe this, but we were created to expect something more...a continuation of
something

Some very cool posts; I really like hearing others perspectives on the subject. Gagnon, I guess I could say that my interest in what happens to us after we die is more academic than religious. Of course there are ties to religion for some, not for others. Because I'm not sure what I believe, I'm looking at it more from that place.

Bloozcat's post really struck me. He said much better than I was able to the diificulty in trying to even imagine what happens to us, (understanding for some it's not difficult at all). Bloozcat and DRM said essentially the same thing - that as mere mortals we simply aren't able to fathom what happens to us when we die because our brains are wired to live.

Some of you guys think we'll die and just remain particles of energy, while others think there is definitely a life after this one that we will go to. Two views that are very polarized. FBB likes the idea of death - of "nothingness" - because it's peaceful. But my skeptical mind wonders if we will experience nothingness after death; that we might be aware that we are nonexistant and it's an unpleasant realm. That probably doesn't make much sense but I find it hard to make sense of what DRM and Bloozcat pointed out is seemingly impossible for us to fathom.

I believe in some kind of God, or something in the Universe that is bigger than me, something that has kept me alive in the face of adversity. But how that "God" or force controls my disposition at death remains a mystery to me.

..... FBB likes the idea of death - of "nothingness" - because it's peaceful. But my skeptical mind wonders if we will
experience
nothingness after death; that we might be aware that we are nonexistant and it's an unpleasant realm.....

Not quite Ally - FBB definitely does NOT like the idea of death. However, given that death is inevitable I do like the idea of "nothingness".

On "awareness", this is an interesting subject. It puzzles me when I think about my own self-awareness. Of all the billions of people who have ever lived I have only been aware of one of them - ME!

Without my own personal awareness nothing else in this universe would actually exist (I'm sure it would exist but without my awareness it may as well not).

Perhaps there is something for the argument that the world and everything in it are all just figments of our own imagination.

Heady stuff. :confused:

good, Ally..now...go practice the guitar!
;)

YOU!!! :p

I snapped another high E string changing them. I give up.

YOU!!!
:p

I snapped another high E string changing them. I give up.

Me?:eek:

Tune down a whole step to concert D...:cool:

Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

Not quite Ally - FBB definitely does NOT like the idea of death. However, given that death is inevitable I do like the idea of "nothingness".

Sorry about that FBB.....I didn't mean to intimate you like death itself, only the nothingness part.....lol.....I just can't get the words out right.

Nothing new.....:o

Me?
:eek:

Tune down a whole step to concert D...

YOU ARE SUCH A SHIT ENLARGING MY EMBARRASSING PROBLEM!!!!! :mad:

;)

Originally posted by ShesGotToCleanUpHerLanguage

YOU ARE SUCH A
SHIT
ENLARGING MY EMBARRASSING PROBLEM!!!!!