A source for "push-push" tone pots?

cBc

• Members

..like Yamaha uses? All I can find online are push-pull type, but I much prefer the "tap on tap off" that Yamaha uses for their coil split switching. I recently bought a used Yamaha AES 500, & would like to redo the wiring harness , since the pots are 250K (guitar has two humbuckers) & I would like 500k pots instead.

• Members

I did alot of digging awhile back and did find one source. I want back about a month later and they didnt have them listed anymore. I'm surprised they are more popular because its a hell of a lot easier to tap a volume knob like a pushbutton then it is to pull out on a push pull knob.

This is the company that used to sell them.

http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/279/500K_Push-Push_Audio_Taper_Potentiometer.htm

I suppose if anyone, Mouser Electronics may have them. If they dont its going to be tough digging them up.

• Members

What I'd really like to find is a push push push pot. They do make some that are on-off-on OR on-on-on DPDT type switches. Havent seen them on a guitar in maybe 30 years but they push twice like a standard DPDT type switch where you can get all three positions. I guess it kind of works like a ballpoint pen except having two steps one to lock and one released, it has a third notch, so when you release from the fully locked position it catches the center detent for the middel contact position. You can get all kinds of pickup switching, active electronics or series parallel, single coil etc with a guitar that only has one or two knobs.

I suppose using an LED would help identify the positions, but just quickly tapping through is easy enough for an experienced player to know how the switch is ingaged.

Archived