Sign in to follow this  
docrock55

Deck Staining question for Dano and others

How long should I wait to stain after I pressure wash? One stain manufacter
recommends at least 24 hours, while others say up to a month.
I will be using a Cabot semi-solid product which I have very please with in the past for the rentals.
Can I roll it on then back brush? Let me know before I screw up:D

Doc

How long should I wait to stain after I pressure wash? One stain manufacter

recommends at least 24 hours, while others say up to a month.

I will be using a Cabot semi-solid product which I have very please with in the past for the rentals.

Can I roll it on then back brush? Let me know before I screw up:D

Doc

Depends on the ambient weather conditions---last one I did, conditions were hot but shaded, dry; I gave it five days. As long as water doesn't squish out from a good thumbnail poke, you should be okay.

Good choice on the Cabots product. I've been using it for a couple years now with very good results.

You can roll it on, then backbrush---I've even sprayed it on with a garden sprayer and backbrushed---but you'll get your best adhesion from just plain ol' brushing it on and working it into the grain well.

Hope that helps :wave:

Funny to see this thread now... I'm getting conflicting advice on when to stain a cedar deck that I had built last fall. Some people tell me to do it this fall, while others say you need to wait two full years in order to allow the wood to settle. I'm a lazy indoorsman and am all for putting off yardwork for as long as possible, but I don't want to unknowingly ruin anything, either.

Funny to see this thread now... I'm getting conflicting advice on when to stain a cedar deck that I had built last fall. Some people tell me to do it this fall, while others say you need to wait two full years in order to allow the wood to settle. I'm a lazy indoorsman and am all for putting off yardwork for as long as possible, but I don't want to unknowingly ruin anything, either.

Considering your climate, I'd say your deck has seen just about all the extremes it's gonna see, and it's as stable as it's gonna get.

PLEASE don't use a solid stain on it! Cedar deserves a semi-transparent, if not just a clear sealer.