white vinegar to clean cd lens??

stratotak

• Members

I know you use rubbing alcohol to clean the cd/dvd lens. But could you also use white vinegar. I read it can be used to clean just about everything including electronics..But not sure If that just meant the outside..Not internals like cd/dvd lens,tape heads.etc...

• Members

It MAY work. I use 50/50 vinegar & water to clean my windows. The coating is the question as it isn't recommended to use this mix to clean windows with an after market tint job. Next question, is there a coating on the cd/dvd lens?

• Members

i dont know if theres a coating..its a lens for the sony PS2..Main reason for asking was i didnt want to drive out to Walmarts for just a $1 bottle of rubbing alcohol..And read the vinegar while googling. Turns out I had a little bottle of the stuff from one of those cd cleaning kits. I dont think i would have tried it anyway...lol..I think it makes a good cleaner ...But dont think i would use it on a cd/dvd lens..a little dab with the alcohol and it was reading disks again just fine. On a side note..Pam that cooking spray makes a good lubricant..lol..I had some noises and chatter coming from the tray opening and closing..Clicking and grinding. Sprayed some on a q-tip and rubbed down the tracks and teeth..And tray opens and closes quietly and smoothly now..

• Members

It MAY work. I use 50/50 vinegar & water to clean my windows. The coating is the question as it isn't recommended to use this mix to clean windows with an after market tint job. Next question, is there a coating on the cd/dvd lens?

Most lenses are coated, aren't they? I bet a PS2 lense has that blue stuff on it.

• Members

this is only vaguely related, but i like to spout it whenever i'm given the chance.

i used to work for the mall based art framing store Prints Plus, and they sold a Fish Oil based Plexiglass Scratch Remover, stank like hell, BUT it fixed CDs like new. i haven't googled it or anything, but if you ever see it around and want a cheap, easy way to fix your discs, that's the stuff.

• Members

I wouldnt use alcohol on a lens. Cleaning glass with alcohol turns it white and streakey. A littel windex on a cue tip shouldnt hurt plastic or just use water.

I work in the digital optics for a major corperation for a living (30Years in that industry) We use a product called Brillianize. Its a polish that contains silicone and is designed for both plastic and glass optics, cameras, etc. It has antistatic properties that prevent dust and dirt from sticking and buffs up to complete transparency. You can buy simular products at any camera store, but for most home glass cleaner products work fine.

Also Pledge is OK on a reflected surface but it can be a dust/dirt magnet and the wax quickly turns brown in a few days and makes the problem much worse, so I say no on that for optics.

• Members

For scratches on cd/dvd's Pepsi followed by either 50/50 vinegar & distilled H2O or C6H12O6 works. Coke won't do it but Pepsi will. Old sailor's trick for light scratches in plexi airplane windows.

I tried the tooth paste thing..Tried it with Tartar control toothpaste..lol..didnt work..I have also seen on youtube someone use a banana to clean scratched cd's..lol.

the lens on a PS2 is more clear..There is a blue mirror underneath the lens. that one gets real dirty because it under the lens. So not easy to clean.I attempted to take lazer off and clean underneath and clean that blue mirror. But couldnt figure out how to to take lazer off . I was afraid to break it. If i had broke it might as well tossed PS2 asside ass the new laser cost vs buying a refurbished one at gamestop doesnt make sense to repair it.. But luckily i didnt mess it up and it still works..Just have a dirty blue lens I cant clean..

• Members

That pepsi trick..what do you do?? Just pour it on and let it set?? I understand the reason people would say use tooth paste..Us it like a rubbing compound and buff out the scratches. Just like a scratch on paint on car or guitar. But how do you use the pepsi?? something to do with its acidic value.?? What does it do??Eat some of the top coating off or something?? What do you do.?? Just pour some on top of cd? let it soak?

• Members

Guys I believe he's talking about the Lens in a CD Player, Not the CD's themselves. Why anyone would be recomending, Vinigar, Roothpaste or Coke for that job is beyond me. The first thing you start with is compressed air, and make sure you dont tilt the can or you'll freeze the thing and possibly turn it white. Next thing is a lens or glass cleaner. Thats it, end of story. For the mirror, you simply blow it clean, and if you're still having problems and are trying to remove the Laser, the things toast, buy a new one.

I'm not going to get into lasers and how they're calibrated and cleaned, but I work on copiers which are loaded with them and they all have specific calibrations and power adjustments. You never want to crack a screw on a laser because you'll never get them back into calibration without the correct tools. They are calibrated in the factory and it takes an expert to get them back into calibration (usually after an flaming idiot tech fu#ks with adjustments they know nothing about) I know Because I was that expert on lasers and had to recalibrate them in the field.

The mirror is a single sided mirror with the silver side out. Its not like a normal mirror with glass between you and the silver. The correct method for cleaning it is to dip it in distilled water and blow dry. It should necer be touched with an object, fingers or Q Tip or it can be scratched making it useless.

Coke is loaded with sugar that will eat metal up. Wherever you got that one from was told by a complete idiot. (likely the old wives tale about car batteries and removing acid. Annother stupid move. In cases of battery acid alcohol completely disolves it and works on car batteries or batteries that have been left in equipment and start leaking. Denatured alcohol will completely disolve all the white stuff and make it a perfect conductor again)

Toothpaste is an abrasive. You want to wipe something out, go ahead and try that one.

They do make some polishes for removing scratches on glass lenses that contain wax and pumace. In any case, none of these can be used for anything CD related. The lenses in CD players are plastic, not glass in 90% of the players. CD's themselves are plastic and all You'll do is get the stuff embeded in the crack making the problem worse.

Archived