Sign in to follow this  
Nelson

surveillance cameras

I've been thinking about it for years and finally did it. I've heard the first thing people do after getting ripped off is install/beef up their security. I decided not to wait.
This setup is amazing. 4 color cameras with infrared and motion detection. 80 gig hard drive - no tapes. with the motion detection it only records when something in the field is moving.
All this for $600. Home owners goes down $100 a year by having it. I think our deductable is $1k on theft. I say no brainer.
I'm not going the route of signs and fake cameras. If I was going to break into some place that had cameras I'd wear a mask and the first order of business once inside would be to find that recorder and destroy it.
I'm going to hide it all. Let someone go about their thievery and I'll just turn a DVD over to the police.
Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. between the tools, guns and music stuff it would be a really good haul. I will have more peice of mind when I lock up and drive away.

I've had four cameras up at my place for a few years. Mine are hidden and there are no signs to let anyone know. I started out without motion detectors hooked up to them ........ wasted a bunch of tape. Finally got smart and added the detectors. I've had to use it once to get some of my stuff back and 3 or 4 times to help out a neighbor. Was a damn good investment.:thu:

I've had four cameras up at my place for a few years. Mine are hidden and there are no signs to let anyone know. I started out without motion detectors hooked up to them ........ wasted a bunch of tape. Finally got smart and added the detectors. I've had to use it once to get some of my stuff back and 3 or 4 times to help out a neighbor. Was a damn good investment.
:thu:

That's what i'm talkin' bout.

What he said:thu:

before you get too happy, review the quality of the image from the cameras. We installed cameras here a while back, and the image quality is prettty bad...and the cops were really disappointed when we had a burglary and even though the idiots didn't wear masks, we could not get any facial details.

*plans new raid at the DM complex* :idea:

the pics on mine aren't the best, but so far they've worked out:thu: .......... but I would like to invest in some better ones and get them hooked into my computer. Just too lazy to go look at them.

I've been thinking about this too. I think the best deturrent is a loud ass siren that turns on when the circuit is opened and won't turn off for about 5 minutes or so! :cop: ..... and put the siren in the attic out of easy reach! :mad:

I've been thinking about this too. I think the best deturrent is a loud ass siren that turns on when the circuit is opened and won't turn off for about 5 minutes or so!
:cop:
..... and put the siren in the attic out of easy reach!
:mad:

I've already seen these installed at Mt. Kwakkleberry.

20060807_Gibraltar-Gun_100-ton-051_900.j

I've been thinking about this too. I think the best deturrent is a loud ass siren that turns on when the circuit is opened and won't turn off for about 5 minutes or so!
:cop:
..... and put the siren in the attic out of easy reach!

Yeah but i'm a mile up a dead end dirt road. And there are no police in our town.

If a siren goes off and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?

:idk:

before you get too happy, review the quality of the image from the cameras. We installed cameras here a while back, and the image quality is prettty bad...and the cops were really disappointed when we had a burglary and even though the idiots didn't wear masks, we could not get any facial details.

Right on DM. The resolution on the cameras suck. The guy at the store said I could bring them back. I'm going to move up a notch or two. :cool:

When the news around here shows bank robbers on surveillance cameras, the quality is always horrible.

Can you identify this suspect :confused:

:rolleyes:

When the news around here shows bank robbers on surveillance cameras, the quality is always horrible.

Can you identify this suspect
:confused:

Ask Ashley Todd.

:D

If my wife bitches about me and I'm not home, am I still in trouble?

Right on DM. The resolution on the cameras suck. The guy at the store said I could bring them back. I'm going to move up a notch or two.
:cool:

glad to be of service...there really is no point going cheap if you want to be able to prosecute. We will be gradually upgrading our cameras, hopefully all 16 will be hi-res color next year, and then we move up to motion tracking...:thu:

not until you get home...:poke:

As seen in Rooney's yard
:eek:

irobot_metal_storm_2.jpg

Not seen, not heard, but definitely leaves a lastin' impression. :thu:

pg014510504dt8335123tv5.jpg

Le Baton Rouge

"five generations of an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm"

-Drive-By Truckers

that's wassup

---for further gothic southern quippage, see my sig

Yes, yes you are. :o

If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. :cop:

glad to be of service...there really is no point going cheap if you want to be able to prosecute. We will be gradually upgrading our cameras, hopefully all 16 will be hi-res color next year, and then we move up to motion tracking...
:thu:

Yup, that's what I ended up with. Hi-res, color and infra-red. the IR on this camera is remarkable. I fired one up in my kitchen last night. Little difference on the monitor between lights on and lights off. :)

And, the cool thing is all it took for the upgrade was the old fashioned, "throw money at it'. I've never seen that practice fail. :rolleyes:

Instead of $40 cameras I now have $130 cameras. :wave:

(now I need a hi-def monitor to make full use of the hi-res cameras :cry:)

Yup, that's what I ended up with. Hi-res, color and infra-red. the IR on this camera is remarkable. I fired one up in my kitchen last night. Little difference on the monitor between lights on and lights off.
:)

And, the cool thing is all it took for the upgrade was the old fashioned, "throw money at it'. I've never seen that practice fail.
Instead of $40 cameras I now have $130 cameras.
:wave:

(now I need a hi-def monitor to make full use of the hi-res cameras
:cry:
)

yeah, I had a feeling when yo ustated you initial expenditure, that you were getting the cheezy cams...but for an additional $90 each, you are getting ten times more camera!:thu:

Yeah but i'm a mile up a dead end dirt road. And there are no police in our town.

:cry:

well, if the claymores go off, and no hears them, did you blow anybody's legs off?

:wave: