Sign in to follow this  
ShesGotVerve

Help? Adobe Flash Player problem

My kid's new computer won't play YouTube videos without Adobe Flash Player, (which I thought would have been installed on a brand new computer). :confused: So I try to install Flash Player 10, and it downloads fine, but when I go to install it, it says I need to close Firefox to do it. :confused: :confused: :confused: So I close Firefox like it says I have to and of course the install box goes away. :mad: So how do I install the Flash Player when I have to close Firefox to do it? :idk: I already looked all over Adobe's site trying to find the troubleshooting for this problem and came up with nuttin'.

Nobody else here knows how to install Flash Player for Firefox either. :(

A friend tried to walk me through it, but that didn't work out too well. I remember there was a problem when I tried to install it on this machine, but I don't remember how it was remedied. :confused:

I hate computers. :mad:

:bor: :bor: :bor:

I'm still using XP without any Flash issues on my 3 month old computer. Have you gone to Adobes website to see if there are any vista updates?

Download the player,
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=DXLUJ
, save the downloaded player somewhere comfortable, make sure Firefox is not running and install it.

What's the problem? :poke:

that's what I was thinking...you can even make an Adobe folder for it on the desktop, or if you have other adobe toys installed (acrobat/reader/Photoshop), stick it in with them.:wave:

When I DL the player off that link, which is the one I've been using, it does not give me a choice of where to save the file. It does not let me "browse" locations to save it.

It merely says "save file" and "install_flash_player.exe".

I've done searches on the HD, including *exe, and cannot locate the file anywhere. Therefore, I cannot install it from the HD.

When I DL the player off that link, which is the one I've been using, it does not give me a choice of where to save the file. It does not let me "browse" locations to save it.

It merely says "save file" and "install_flash_player.exe".

I've done searches on the HD, including *exe, and cannot locate the file anywhere. Therefore, I cannot install it from the HD.

Hey Ally - Download from the link mentioned and choose "Run" - that way you dont have to know where the files are - just install the sucker! It has its own install applet - doesnt need a browser.

Hey Ally - Download from the link mentioned and choose "Run" - that way you dont have to know where the files are - just install the sucker! It has its own install applet - doesnt need a browser.

John, I have to wait till I get home this afternoon to try that, since it's the kid's computer that needs it.

I'll PM you if I run into the same problem I've been encountering.

If you click on Tools on the tool bar and click downloads it will show you a list of what was down loaded. you should be able to open and save from there.

If you are running vista, there are two versions of IE on it.

The adobe flash player you are downloading says it's for vista and it probably is, but it's not for the 64-bit IE. No one makes one for the IE 64 right now.

Go into "programs" and use the internet explorer NOT marked 64-bit (it's 32).The IE that is on the desktop shortcut is the 64. Delete it and replace it with a shortcut from the 32 bit version.

Adobe flash player 10 for vista will work with it.

Problem solved. :thu:

If you are running vista, there are two versions of IE on it.

The adobe flash player you are downloading says it's for vista and it probably is, but it's not for the 64-bit IE. No one makes one for the IE 64 right now.

Go into "programs" and use the internet explorer NOT marked 64-bit (it's 32).The IE that is on the desktop shortcut is the 64. Delete it and replace it with a shortcut from the 32 bit version.

Adobe flash player 10 for vista will work with it.

Problem solved.
:thu:

I don't use IE, I use Firefox. :confused:

Here's the deal:

On MY computer I can DL the Flash Player, go to my downloads, click on "save", and THEN the "RUN" box pops up. I click it and it installs no problem.

On my KID'S brand new computer, it DL's fine to my downloads in "tools". However, when I click on it to install, I do not get a pop-up box that says "RUN".

What actually happens is I get a box that Vista uses to get permission to continue, I click "continue", THEN another box pops up that says the Firefox application must be closed to install. If I close FF, everything is gone and there is no "RUN" to install the flash player.

A "RUN" box never comes up.

I know I'm an idiot when it comes to computers, but I'm not insane. :facepalm:

Edit: Both computers are running Vista.

Use the bundled IE to DL without Firefox. I know you dislike IE, but that should solve the issue.

:confused:
if the installer is already downloaded to your hard drive just open it without opening firefox.

she can't find it...:poke:

Here's the deal:

On
MY
computer I can DL the Flash Player, go to my downloads, click on "save", and
THEN
the "RUN" box pops up. I click it and it installs no problem.

On my
KID'S
brand new computer, it DL's fine to my downloads in "tools". However, when I click on it to install,
I do not get a pop-up box that says "RUN".

What actually happens is I get a box that Vista uses to get permission to continue, I click "continue", THEN another box pops up that says the Firefox application must be closed to install. If I close FF, everything is gone and there is no "RUN" to install the flash player.

A "RUN" box never comes up.

I know I'm an idiot when it comes to computers, but I'm not insane.
:facepalm:

Edit: Both computers are running Vista.

I have vista home premium and here is how it works on mine:

tools on tool bar, right click, select show in folder (separate window will open showing the file name highlighted) close FF.

Double click highlighted file and it should open and then the permission boxes will pop up.

Yes, my point. Thank you.

Located it on my C: drive and it does the same exact thing when I try to install it. Even though FF is not open, it tells me I need to close it.

So are you guys saying I can just use IE to install it and then it will work on FF?

If this is the case, I'll try it, but I'd think it'd have to be installed on FF to work on FF. :confused:

I'm not going to use IE so she can watch YouTube videos. I only use FF on accounta IE sucks. :o

I have vista home premium and here is how it works on mine:

tools on tool bar, right click, select show in folder (separate window will open showing the file name highlighted) close FF.

Double click highlighted file and it should open and then the permission boxes will pop up.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

do you have that 'load on windows startup' preference in firefox turned on? turn that off; that does nothing but cause problems. otherwise restart and run the installer first thing

BUY A MAC !!!!!!!

Yes indeed! Ah, the easy intuitive interface of the Mac makes it a joy to use! I just recently upgraded to a 24" iMac w/ 2.8 GHz core 2 Duo processor! It's absolutely quiet! It's fast enough for everything I do! :love::love:

Yes indeed! Ah, the easy intuitive interface of the Mac makes it a joy to use! I just recently upgraded to a 24" iMac w/ 2.8 GHz core 2 Duo processor! It's absolutely quiet! It's fast enough for everything I do!
:love:

You're so helpful. :rolleyes:

if it says firefox is running ctr-alt-del to go to task manager, click processes tab end process for firefox. now try it again.

DOPPELBANGER FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thu: :thu: :thu:

When I looked at the list on MY account, Firefox wasn't on it. But it gave me an option to check all users, and FF was on the list for my daughter's account. I ended the process, went to the download in my C: drive, and in 10 seconds it was installed and she's watching videos as we speak. :idea:

I knew someone would come through for me. Odd that it came from someone I've never even seen on CJ. :lol: :lol:

Yes indeed! Ah, the easy intuitive interface of the Mac makes it a joy to use! I just recently upgraded to a 24" iMac w/ 2.8 GHz core 2 Duo processor! It's absolutely quiet! It's fast enough for everything I do!

but, SB...you even type slow...;)