Sign in to follow this  
windmill

Emotional Connection with music ?

Is that what makes "classic" music ?

Every music forum is full of people disagreeing about the merits of songs and music.I always put it down to different tastes ie some like soft, some like loud, some like slow, some like fast, some like melody, some like rythym etc.

The other day one of these discussions mentioned the Neutral Milk Hotel's - " An Aeroplane Over the Sea" was one of the great pop music albums of the 90's. I had never heard of the band or the songs for whatever reason, (including getting older I suppose)
So I did a bit of Youtubing and I heard some nice strummed acoustic guitar
with some singing about some topics I just didn't relate to. Pretty ordinary
stuff I thought.

But on reflection, I could understand how the passion and intensity of the singing may have appealed to teenagers in the same way as some of the songs I regard as classics appealed to me when I was that age.(the concept of the soundtrack of our lives).

I have also come to the realisation that a lot of what what I thought were deep and meaningful lyrics at the time were just a load of rubbish made up because it ryhymed (?).

So the question is
"Is it our own relationship to individual pieces of music what makes us regard them as great or is there great music that appeals to everyone (or nearly so) ? "

Your thoughts please :)

I think there is validity to both aspects. Some music will appeal to a large part of the audience because it is so great, so well done, and likely, so able to touch them on some emotional/spiritual or visceral level.

Some music will only touch those who can relate to it in some personal way.

I think basically it is the nature of all art to do this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that In An Aeroplane Over the Sea is a very average album.

I'll hypothesize that certain noise frequencies affect different people in different ways. The right combination of these frequencies, such as a song, could resonate with a certain part of the brain that creates a unique emotional sense not found through other phenomena.

Might be completely wrong, but I think it helps to at least paint a picture.

from how I'm understanding your question, it goes to the whole meaning of art. music is art. art is appreciated on so many different levels, it really depends on what you get out of it and how you interpret it. No one on this forum will understand why I thought Blink 182 was such a great band when I listened to them in high school. It doesn't matter if nobody gets it. They're music pretty much represented a juvenille part of my life: struggling with girls, identity and just growing up. my friend digs oasis because all they sing about is the high life, the whole rockstar thing. that's his dream, that's what he wants to do in life and thats why he thinks bands like oasis and GnR are so great. maybe that's why millions of people love those bands, because they can connect with those songs on a personal level.

So yes, what makes music 'classic' to us - or at least to me - is our relationship to it, and in my opinion alot of that came from our years before we hit 21. While some of the new stuff I'm listening to has certainly appealed to me, it never really had the same impact as much of the stuff that came out when I was a teenager.

of course, i also have to acknowledge the other answer of where people just think those bands/albums are great because it just sounds good. but there's gotta be something else besides that with those kinds of people, i just don't know.