Chandler tube Driver schematic help

stratotak

• Members

Im trying to setup a tube driver vst to come close to the chandler pedal.

TubeDriver1.JPG

Im using this tube driver vst from Nick Crow.

tubedriver-v1.jpg

I found the schematic for it but dont know how to read it..lol..Im trying to find what EQ settings to use to come close to the pedal. ayone who can read schematics point me toward the right values?

Heres the schematic for the pedal.

tubedrvr.gif

• Members

That schematic doesn't match the pedal. The schematic has just a single tone control, the real tube driver has two. You're screwed... :lol:

Go to General guitar gadgets, they have a "clone" of the tube driver with 2 tone controls, and there's a schematic on their site. Also, there's a "tone stack calculator" out on the 'net, download it and you might be able to figure out the freq's to simulate the tube driver...

• Members

Just to make it clear what I am doing. I am not trying to build a actual device. I am trying to take information from the schematic and translate that into information that I can use to set the EQ on a VST Tube Driver. Someone else buy the name of Nick Crow has donr the hard part and made a nice sounding tube drive. I just want to tweak the EQ section to match the EQ of the actual Chandler unit.

I googled schematic symbols and figured out what to look for as far as pots.resistors,capacitors,etc..

So If Im wrong will someome correct me. But it looks like the High has a 500k pot and the low uses a 100k pot..And around the pots are a few capacitors.But Im not sure what ones are used to effect the tone of the knobs. And even If I did..How would i translate that into a frequency response. Lets say the High pot is 500k with a 330pF capacitor. How would I figure out what frequency that capacitor is effecting?? Is there some sort of calculation or calculator for this. I found a app that is a tone stack calculator but hell If I know how to use it..lol..

On the VST it has a low pass and a high pass. And 2 that I could set up as the low and high . I just need to be able to figure out the right frequency to roll of and to set for the High and Low.

• Members

Thats a waste of time. What you need to do is use the actual pedal, pass pink noise through it, then read the output on a frequency analizer and then adjust the trebble and bass and view where the EQ boosts and cuts the frequencies.

Next you have what an amp does to EQ the signal. It too has an EQ section, gains, and speaker coloration so the whole notion of trying to duplicate the EQ of the pedal may sound horrible when applied to a vst plugin. An amp will most likely roll off all frequencies above 6K and everything below 100hz. The pedal probibly has a split in the 1~2K region. The one knob will roll off or boost FQs above 2K and the bass will roll off or boost FQs below 2K

Then you do the same for the VST plugin. Plugins have a different gain structure then hardware and chances of getting them the same is tough if not unlikely. Differences in gain effect the presence.

The other thing is you should be mixing guitar so its balanced in the mix with the use of good monitors and your ears. If that pedal was connected directly to a DAW, it would sound nasty and ear piercing. You would need to run it through some kind of cabinet emulation to add the effect a miced speaker would have on the signal. Trying to calculate the frequency diviations via a schematic is pretty useless for this.

Best thing I can suggest is to get someone to post some clips of the pedal with the trebble and bass boosted and cut. Then import them into the daw and run Voxengo Span and view the Frequency spectrum and use it as a guide to make your adjustments. Its still going to be a weak way of doing things. The guitar used and the amp and mic will affect the recording.

Archived