Help with Mighty Mite preamp and pickups

• Members

I've gotten an MM114 preamp and active soapbars for a bass I'm building. They come with NO literature and the wiring diagram online is not clear enough for me. I'm a woodworker and am not certain of common omissions from diagrams.

The pickups have a red wire, a white wire, and a ground wrap. The diagram on the mighty mite site only shows two connectors coming out of the pickups. The diagram is black and white and Mighty Mite haven't responded to a query.

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'd like this bass to make some sound soon and I've been unable to find any pictures that show how to wire it correctly. A phot of one that has been wired correctly would be cool, but I can't find that either.

Thanks.

• Members

The fix is simple, but it has a hook.

The two color wires are the coil windings. One of the wires will be connected with the outside ground together. The remaining wire will wind up being your hot/signal wire.

If this is the only pickup in the bass, then you can choose the red or white as being the ground and the other the hot wire.

If you have another pickup in the bass, only one choice will work and the second will be out of phase with the other pickup. This is the hook I mentioned.

Weather you have another pup or not its a 50/50 chance to which core wire will be the hot and which is ground. I have several Mighty Mites in guitars. I dont remember them using any wackey color codes like Dimarzio and others so I feel safe to say the red wire alone is your hot. The white gets connected along with the shielding to the other connector.

If you do have two pups and the tone gets trebbly and gets weak or dissapears as both pups are turned up, simply swap the red to the ground and use the white as the hot lead. Thats it.

As a side note, The reason why you have two conductors and a seperate ground is so you can do some fancy wiring and not get hum. You could add a phase reverse switch or wire the pickups in series for some tonal changes. These are only effective if you have more than one pickup so my suggestions above should work.

• Members

It also stands to reason that, if they're both Mighty Mite, it won't matter as long as they both are hooked up the same way. As long as they're in phase with each other. I learned this the hard way. I took a GFS humbucker and wired it up with 2 Seymour sc's. GFS instructions say you can use SD colors or GFS colors. But the 'bucker was out of phase with the sc's. The catch is that you CAN use SD colors IF you're using all GFS pups. That dang phase thang.

Me, I'd go red for hot just because I'm used to that from my dc wiring experience with airplanes & cars.

Archived