How much does it cost to fix a crack?

veil

• Members

I have about a three inch crack on the back of my guitar. I looked in the soundhole and it is visible on the other side as well. I have absolutely no idea how much this will cost to repair.

Also, do these things get worse over time?

• Members

If the crack goes all the way thru it may get worse over time, though others on this forum would have a better idea. I had a small (about an inch) cracked fixed a while ago and it cost about $45. I wouldn't venture to gues on a cost for you but I would budget at least $100. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by veil

I have about a three inch crack on the back of my guitar. I looked in the soundhole and it is visible on the other side as well. I have absolutely no idea how much this will cost to repair.

Also, do these things get worse over time?

It depends. :)

Any good luthier would happily take a look at it and give you an estimate...for free. Such things as whether the crack extends over a brace, for example would really make it impossible for anyone to guess over the internet. Sounds like it's a good time for you to establish a relationship with a good luthier. And yes, it can easily propagate over time.

I had a 4-5 inch split on the spruce top of my main acoustic, and I paid $155 US to have it fixed, but I also had three frets replaced at the same time. Not bad, in my minds eye.

You really have to have whoever is qualified to fix it take a look and give you an appraisal. Lots of variables. Different finishes change the ease at which an "invisible" repair can be accomplished, or you might not care about an "invisible" repair. Good luck on your quest for a good luthier! Once you find one, make a friend! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by daddysguitar

It depends.
:)
Any good luthier would happily take a look at it and give you an estimate...for free. Such things as whether the crack extends over a brace, for example would really make it impossible for anyone to guess over the internet. Sounds like it's a good time for you to establish a relationship with a good luthier. And yes, it can easily propagate over time.

I had a 4-5 inch split on the spruce top of my main acoustic, and I paid $155 US to have it fixed, but I also had three frets replaced at the same time. Not bad, in my minds eye.

You really have to have whoever is qualified to fix it take a look and give you an appraisal. Lots of variables. Different finishes change the ease at which an "invisible" repair can be accomplished, or you might not
care
about an "invisible" repair. Good luck on your quest for a good luthier! Once you find one, make a friend!
:cool:

Good advice. This guitar has already experienced some intense repair-work with a very talented, honest, and incredible luthier. It cost me a pretty penny, but in comparison, fixing this crack probably isn't that bad. I'll go back on Friday and see if he remembers me. ;)

Man, this guitar is a money pit. A beautiful, sexy, perfect money pit. :cool:

Archived