Seagull vs. Larrivee

b0dah

• Members

Originally posted by seven7

imo, for this to be a fair comparison: the seagull should be from the 'artist series'. in which case it's like apples and oranges to me.

both good.

i'm looking at an artist portrait or cameo cw model.

what is the corresponding larrivee model thats in the price range of 1000-1300 CAD?

• Members

Originally posted by b0dah

i'm looking at an artist portrait or cameo cw model.

what is the corresponding larrivee model thats in the price range of 1000-1300 CAD?

Well another reason it's apples and oranges is the fact for 1300.00 you can buy a discounted Larrivee that should cost around 2500.00

You see when you buy the lower end guitars from 500-1000 you are TRULY getting one in that range because there is not any margin for discount on those price ranges.

The nicer guitars in the higher ranges often have a much HIGHER percentage discount.

So when you shop for a Larrivee you can very often get a 2500.00 guitar for 1300.00 like an L-05 fully loaded with pickup system or many other models.

Those are all solid wood, sterling silver trim on headstock, ebony overlay, mother pearl inlay logo, abalone rosette and some killer small touches. The woods alone on the 05 and 09 series are quite amazing.

Larrivee, NO contest.... check out HERE for some of the best phone prices and selection I know of.

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

So when you shop for a Larrivee you can very often get a 2500.00 guitar for 1300.00 like an L-05 fully loaded with pickup system or many other models.

on the larrivee website it says an l-05 retails for about $3073.50 CAD

• Members

Originally posted by CDT-shag

SEAGULL!!!

(someone had to do it)....
:)

thats the conclusion i came to at the store.

the portrait cw i played sounded and played better than a lot of the nicer taylors....and i played them side by side...one after another.

am i just retarded? :D:eek: :confused:

• Members

on the larrivee website it says an l-05 retails for about $3073.50 CAD

You can buy Larrivees for a great deal in the USA.... Not sure about the dollar conversion but you understand the point I was making. Lower price products have less room for discounts in percentage.

:)

• Members

thats the conclusion i came to at the store.

the portrait cw i played sounded and played better than a lot of the nicer taylors....and i played them side by side...one after another.

am i just retarded?
:D
:eek:
:confused:

no, of course you're not retarded. seagull makes some fine guitars.

in the end it's all personal preference. if the gull speaks to you the most, then go for it! your opinion is the one that counts the most. trust your ears.

• Members

Originally posted by seven7

no, of course you're not retarded. seagull makes some fine guitars.

in the end it's all personal preference. if the gull speaks to you the most, then go for it! your opinion is the one that counts the most. trust your ears.

awesome. thanks everyone. I haven't tried the larrivees but i'm gonna play them this coming weekend with my (already) beloved portrait...see which ones i can afford and compare sounds.

thanks again for the help and any other opinions or comments are welcomed as well!

• Members

I'd be very surprised if you didn't think Larrivees are better after you play a few. They have a significantly different sound than Taylors. I love my Taylor 414K and I do have respect for Seagulls but the next guitar I plan on getting is a OMV-09 (nicely bear-clawed) to go along with my J-05-12 unless I spring for a Goodall. I think Larrivee holds the title for best bang for the buck right now.

• Members

I love the Larrivee's but the fretboard of 1 3/4" doesn't work as well for my fingers as well as the 1 13/16" of the Seagull. Seagull even offers a 1 7/8" on one of their models. The Larrivee's may sound better than the Seagulls for some (I really like the L models) , but I sound better on a Seagull. Seagulls are more compatible with my sausage-like fingers. Does anyone know if Larrivee can do wider fretboards (at a reasonable price)?

StringChucker

• Members

Yeah I love the necks on Seagulls, great point ! Several Larrivee models have 1-7/8" now but generally they use 1-3/4" across the board on all standard models. I dont know of any Larrivees with 1-13/16" but that's my favorite size of all. Larrivee listens though. Otherwise you have to order custom.

• Members

Well, I'll vouch for Seagull being great instruments...

But once you get up to the price point you're talking about, I think Larrivee is the way to go.

In the end, though, it's all what your ears hear. If you hear something you like, that's all you need to know.

• Members

Stringchucker makes a point that I didn't consider at first. I think that Larrivees are "better" in terms of quality woods, etc., but Seagulls are extremely playable and that can make the difference in what you enjoy. I love the two Seagulls that I have for that very reason. Sometimes "playability" wins.

• Members

Yeah I love the necks on Seagulls, great point ! Several Larrivee models have 1-7/8" now but generally they use 1-3/4" across the board on all standard models. I dont know of any Larrivees with 1-13/16" but that's my favorite size of all. Larrivee listens though. Otherwise you have to order custom.

The nut width depends on the body size with Larrivee:

D: 1 11/16"

OM: 1 3/4"

L: 1 3/4"

J: 1 11/16"

Slope shoulder: 1 7/8"

Now to make things confusing:

1) If you own an 04 Series or an older 03 Series w/plastic binding, you have a 1 11/16" nut regardless of body size. If you own one of the first batch of OM-50's, you also have a 1 11/16" nut--maybe (it seems that they released a few with 1 3/4" and the rest with 1 11/16" :confused: ). Finally, if you own an L built before '92 (I think) you also have a 1 11/16" nut. Thoroughly confused? Me too. Thanks Jean.

Now how about a little guitar trivia:

A dreadnaught is to an OM as a baseball player on performance enhancing substances is to _______________, and why?

• Members

I have a Seagull S6 and Larrivee LV-05. While we're not comparing apples to apples here, the Larrivee is my favorite of the two. The Larrivee's sound is nicely balanced and just seems "richer" with complex overtones, it's hard for me to put it into words. That said, the S6 is no slouch, it's definately the louder of the two and has a unique sound all it's own, more bassy than the LV-05.

Hope that helps!

• Members

an upper model Larrivee is a better guitar than any Seagull.

BUT

If I had a choice between the two makes I'd take the Seagull as a beater/travel guitar. Larrivees are too pricey for what you get, and honestly, I have never played a Larrivee that I liked the sound of, and I've tried plenty. At a pinch, Seagulls actually play and sound better, at least to me. But they are very lightly built, and may not last a "lifetime". Especially the cedar tops get scratched up pretty fast.

• Members

Originally posted by Rmc

I have a Seagull S6 and Larrivee LV-05. While we're not comparing apples to apples here, the Larrivee is my favorite of the two. The Larrivee's sound is nicely balanced and just seems "richer" with complex overtones, it's hard for me to put it into words. That said, the S6 is no slouch, it's definately the louder of the two and has a unique sound all it's own, more bassy than the LV-05.

Hope that helps!

I too agree with this definition.......Seagull has some great instruments for the price...........but tone wise...........there really is no comparrison......:)

My $.02

Alan

• Members

I do know 1 thing, I compared the 2 brands in the parlor models and the Larrivee more than blew the Seagull away. I've heard better guitars at Sam's club. On the other hand, I've played full sized Seagulls that were outstanding. You just have to play them and make up your own mind. If money is no concern, Larrivee hands down....Of course if you listen to Peppino D

• Members

Larrivee, NO contest.... check out
for some of the best phone prices and selection I know of.

Hi LittleBrother, could you tell me some more about this vendor? The prices look good, especially if the phone prices are lower. How's customer service, shipping, etc.? I'm having a hard time finding any Larrivees in my area.

Archived