Yamaha CG151C vs Esteve GR-07

thebadger

• Members

Both of these are nylon-string solid cedar top guitars. The Esteve is about double the price, but is Spanish made and therefore perhaps better constructed. Anyone with experience with either these guitars? I've always liked Yamaha products, but the Esteve range seem to be fairly popular.

• Members

I haven't had any experience with Esteve, but I did own a Yamaha CG-151S a couple of years ago. It was a really nice guitar, considering its low price. If I were in the market right now for a low cost classical, I think I'd probably get a Lucida Artista Concerto. They're in the same price range as the Yamaha, but made in Spain with solid rosewood back and sides as well as an ebony fretboard.

• Members

Originally posted by Grumpy Ol' Geezer

I haven't had any experience with Esteve, but I did own a Yamaha CG-151S a couple of years ago. It was a really nice guitar, considering its low price. If I were in the market right now for a low cost classical, I think I'd probably get a Lucida Artista Concerto. They're in the same price range as the Yamaha, but made in Spain with solid rosewood back and sides as well as an ebony fretboard.

I've never come across the Lucinda guitars before...hmmm sounds interesting. So I suppose that has a solid top as well?

• Members

Originally posted by ralphster007

Yamaha all the {censored}ing way.

If you buy a CG because the name is Spanish then you haven't done your homework; they're famous for their luthiers, not for their factories. So unless you're shelling out a few grand...

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know it was a silly assumption, but I have heard good things about the Esteves. I have had good experiences with Yamahas-everything from flutes, pianos to my beaten up Yamaha CG40.

Do you know much about the La Patrie range by any chance?

• Members

Originally posted by thebadger

A friend of mine has the La Patrie Etude, which is their entry-level model. It plays nicely and sounds better than you'd expect for the price. But it looks like a high school kid made it as a woodshop project. Not a bad instrument at all, but the Yamaha CG-151 is a much better made guitar, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Grumpy Ol' Geezer

A friend of mine has the La Patrie Etude, which is their entry-level model. It plays nicely and sounds better than you'd expect for the price. But it looks like a high school kid made it as a woodshop project. Not a bad instrument at all, but the Yamaha CG-151 is a much better made guitar, IMO.

Actually the Etude and the 151 have similar prices here, so obviously the Yamaha is better value..

Ahhh looking forward to guitar shopping now- that's the best part! :D

• Members

Originally posted by thebadger

I have a La Patrie Collection that's a few years old; it has a spruce top, I think they only make them with cedar nowadays... they're great little guitars for their price range. If you can find a good deal, go for it. Whatever you go with, check the intonation.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

" If you buy a CG because the name is Spanish then you haven't done your homework; they're famous for their luthiers, not for their factories. So unless you're shelling out a few grand...

"

Yes, and mid to high end Esteves are handmand by a luthier (Esteve). Sure, it depends on the model, but a handmade Esteve will blow a Yamaha away and can be had for well under a grand.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Skankhair

" If you buy a CG because the name is Spanish then you haven't done your homework; they're famous for their luthiers, not for their factories. So unless you're shelling out a few grand...

"

Yes, and mid to high end Esteves are handmand by a luthier (Esteve). Sure, it depends on the model, but a handmade Esteve will blow a Yamaha away and can be had for well under a grand.

+1 i recomend esteve guitars..very well built with quality woods and very nice and loud sounding body..........the e/a are also very good, the guitar, even with the eq in it, sounds amazingly loud, not like many other a/e that just loose a lot of tone

just my .02 cents

• Members

I really like the Yamahas ... I think they play well, feel and sound like a classical and to top it off are great value for the money.

That having been said I have owned an Esteve 1GR08 for about six years or so. I don't play it too much anymore ... it's been superceded by a couple of other instruments that cost alot more. But in my opinion the Esteve is in a totally different class than a Yamaha .... it's loud, responsive and Ron Fernandez the importer does a really good job of setting them up. Check out www. fernandezmusic.com

It might not be a hand built model but for the price it's a very good instrument. I don't think I would look any lower than the 8 series though.

• 16 years later...
  • Members

I traded my Yamaha 182s classical for an Esteve 4st without regret. Both retail at around $600 AUD and are a student level guitar. If you guys say you can’t appreciate the difference in tone maybe you are bad guitarists. And you shouldn’t be buying {censored} out of China in these times anyway.

Archived