I just BROKE!!! my new classical guitar!!!

Echotraveler

• Members

I just BROKE!!! my new classical guitar!!!

im very upset right now...i just droped my new classical concierto special guitar !!! im really really sad,, i love that guitar..

the damage:

it received damage in only one place, the top

vizualize a classical guitar top and look at the right buttom curve, there it is.....the top came OFF on that part when it hit the ground the finish is caput in that area and im very confused becaused it seemed it cam off pretty easy, a clean break no wood was shattered only the top came off and the finish of coarse, it seems to me the finish held the top on the side panel, i didnt see any trace of glue ...

im not sure but i think it could be fixed do you guys know!!!??? plz help me...give me a word of comfort because my mind is going crazy with hypothesis and sadness......

arturo

:( :( :( :(

• Members

My guess is that the top was just weakly held on there. It's and easy fix if it came off cleanly. just a matter of shooting glue into the gap and clamping with spool clamps. The finish will probably be hard to repair well, though. A matter of overspraying and buffing. If there wasn't much evidence of trauma I would send it back to the manufacturer as a warrantee defect.

• Members

guitarcapo is right, sometimes glue doesn't penetrate into wood like it should and create a super strong bond. It sounds like this is what happened in your case and a hard impact caused the glue to let go.

It should be easy for someone to reglue it properly and it should be stronger then the original bond was. Just be sure they use a good epoxy glue, not a wood glue which didn't hold the first time and won't hold the second time any better.

• Members

No to the epoxy idea in my opinion. It holds great but is impossible to remove if the need for a repair arrives. Aliphatic resin glue or hide glue is preferable. I bought a guitar on ebay and the bridge had been reglued on the top in the wrong place with epoxy. I ended up having to make a whole new top for it.

• Members

thanx a lot for all the info dudes, ill go check the guitar with a luthier next week and ill give you some more detailed information on the status of my guitar..i would send it to the guarrantee but it sounds soooo {censored}ing good and i dont think any other guitar would spell my sound like the one i have now........you know how if feels

thanx for all your tips dudes:D

• Members

oh no!!!

Man, I know what it's like to break a guitar that you love. Especially when you're poor. I used to have a jackson that I really loved and saved up for, but due to humidity it developed a nasty crack in the body.

it does sound, in your case to be fairly easily rectifiable. Good luck for that! :)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I bought a guitar on ebay and the bridge had been reglued on the top in the wrong place with epoxy. I ended up having to make a whole new top for it.

ahhh, but had the bridge been glued in the RIGHT place, it would have served you forever... ;)

You really have no other (permenent) choice if the wood fibers have already been sealed by a previous gluing. Wood glue doesn't function properly if it can't soak into both the pieces being glued.

Archived