Restringing guitar, peg keeps popping out

• Members

Hi everyone, I have an Ibanez acoustic guitar and am having trouble re-stringing it.

On the low E string, everytime I set the string in the guitar and place the white-peg to hold it in place, as soon as I tune it up, the white peg pops out of the guitar.

I've tried holding the peg in place with my finger but as soon as I let go, the peg pops out again.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks for your time,

Meaty

• Members

how long have you had the acoustic? is it an older ibanez, the peg might just be worn out, or the hole possibly, try switching pegs around and if that doesnt work it is probably a worn hole or something like that

• Members

The ball end is not locking under the bridge plate. Do your pins have a notch in them? If so turn the pin around so the notch is toward the end of the guitar and the smooth side is against the string. Does it stay in now? If not is the pin real loose in the hole? If so you need bigger pins. See a repairman.

• Members

i've had the same thing in the past with my Yamaha dreadnought, it drove me nuts. There was nothing wrong with the guitar. People here on this forum gave me some suggestions that were really helpfull, stupidly enough I can't remember what those were...

• Members

Ironically I stumbled upon this on a web page of guitar tips tonight:

Guitar Tip #4) On acoustic guitars when the string holes in the bridge are badly worn it becomes very difficult for the bridge pin to properly hold the guitar string without popping out.

A quick fix is to remove the ball end from an old guitar string and slide it over the new string all the way down to the end. With the extra ball end there, the string can sit tighter under the bridge plate and allow the pin to hold the guitar string securely in place!

• Members

Meaty,

If your guitar is only a few moths old, I doubt that there is anything wrong with the pins or holes. It just might be a technique issue with how you are restringing.

Try this; take the end of the string with the ball and put a bend in it about 1/4 inch from the ball. Now insert this into the bridge hole and try to orient the bend so the ball is pointing up toward the headstock. Put the bridge pin in so the groove is facing the headstock (up by the tuners) and push the pin in until fully seated. You might need to manipulate the string a little, but the idea is to have that little ball sung up against the undersurface of the top. The reason why your bridgepin is popping up is that the ball on the end of the string is rising up as you tighten the string.

A little practice and some good pictures to illustrate will help. I had the trouble the first one or 2 times I re-strung, but now have it down.

Good luck,

• Members

Thanks everyone for all the tips and tricks!!

Turns out I finally by luck got it seated in there, and it seems to be holding fine. I was looking at some websitess and found a page showing the little bend in the string that a lot of you mentioned to do. I will for sure do that next time I put on strings.

I had no idea the strings actually got held by the bridge, I assumed it was strictly the pin holding it in the hole.

I now know better thanks to you all :D

Thanks again,

One Happy Meatball

• Members

Originally posted by likkafella

i've had the same thing in the past with my Yamaha dreadnought, it drove me nuts. There was nothing wrong with the guitar. People here on this forum gave me some suggestions that were really helpfull, stupidly enough I can't remember what those were...

+1...

my 2nd string bridge pin on my Yamaha is sticking out about 1/2" from the bridge. I had to stick it in there that way to get the string on. hopefully when I change them out I can fix that problem.

Archived