Epiphone Emperor Regent vs Emperor II Joe Pass

slowhand61

• Members

I went to buy a regent and ended up with a Broadway. It looked like the same body with 2 humbuckers. The Broadway just sounded better both acousticly and plugged in. both were great guitars. I just think that particlular Broadway had better tone.

• Members

Hi Slowhand - I've got an Emperor regent that is one of my main workhorses. Mine is about 8 years old. The important difference between these instruments you spec'd Emperor Regent vs Joe Pass, is that the Joe Pass has the pickups mounted to the top, whereas the Emperor has NOTHING attached to the top. Therefore the top will vibrate more freely thus producing a bigger sound.

Mine has loosened up nicely and is a great "inexpensive" archtop to just sit and play acoustically. Plugged in it has a VERY rich, deep jazz tone. I play mine through a deluxe reverb and the tone is real sweet.

I also have some archtops (ES-175) with the pickups attached to the top as in the case of the Joe Pass and acoustically they are basically dead because the top can't resonate as freely.

Hope this helps. Best to go to the store and compare them for yourself.

• 15 years later...

Archived