Strumming: Over the sound hole, towards the bridge or towards the neck?

Jaggery

• Members

I know that one would strum towards the neck for a really warm sound but loose.

Now as far as I remember almost all live acoustic performances i have seen (both fingerpicking and flatpicking) it is actually well towards the bridge.

I myself cannot bring myself to do that and I feel the sound becomes thin.

What do you guys do?

• Members

most of the time i prefer to strum closer to the neck or over the sound hole. however, occasionally i'll pick or strum nearer the bridge just to get a different sound effect.

i too have noticed that the majority of performers i see tend to play near the bridge though.

• Members

I always strum and pick between the soundhole and the bridge. I prefer the punchier sound I get out of my guitar that way. I'll move closer to or farther away from the bridge depending on the sound I want to get, but I never move "north" of the bottom edge of the soundhole.

• Members

For me, it depends on what sound or dynamic I'm trying to convey. With that said, any place is fair game. Look at Bob Brozman (I highly recommend his concert DVD), he often strums and picks above the end of the fingerboard to great effect, and keep in mind the dynamic range of a metal National is far greater than a wood guitar. I have a friend whose a better player than me, and he often plays harmonics both at the base of the neck and alternates playing them just above the bridge, and very fast at that. At times, I am amazed at the sonic possibilities of this box of wood and steel.

• Members

I actually had to look for the answer to that question. I find that the length of my arm and the size guitar i play, I naturally strum right around the lower end of the sound hole (nearst the bridge)

When I flatpick, I rest the heel of my hand on the bridgepins and the pick hits about the same place I strum. I do a lot of strumming intermixed w/ flatpicking and this seems the most comfortable and natural for me to switch between the 2.:)

• Members

I generally strum over the soundhole when

I'm playing steel-string, near the bridge

when playing flamenco, just at the bridge

end of the soundhole when playing classical,

over the soundhole when playing especially

quietly in classical, near the bridge when

playing louder in classical (less buzz), and

over the fingerboard when playing ukulele...

• Members

I flatpick and fingerpick (I have no nails, use both finger tips and applied metal picks). I tend to use both positions (over soundhole and close to bridge) depending on the tone I'm going for. I never seem to feel my brigde picking position "thins" out the sound too much. I am going for a brighter sound with more punch and that is what I get.

I also play dreadnaughts and deep bodied OMs which naturally have lots of low end.

I'd say your ears just need to get used to the brighter tone. I only feel it gets "thin" when the strings are dead (no sustain, no harmonics/overtones).

Bb

• Members

For the tone I like, on a nylon string acoustic with a flat pick, definitely prefer just back of the soundhole toward the bridge. Hold the pick real short on its extension past my reach so that I can get all the effects I want: even tone if finger does not interfer, popped note if finger/thumb deadens the note, and do not play over the sound hole. The tone there is too classical, very plastic/nylon.

Archived