Building and ISO booth for drums

ChadGrieser1979

• Members

I am currently working on building an isolation section for drums. I have a finished basement with 8' ceiling. i plan on putting the drums in one corner and making a 90" by 90" wall on the open sides. I am wanting to use foam board and acrylic paneling. I want it to look similar to the iso booths that you can buy from sweetwater or elsewhere. Anyone have any suggestions on how to assemble the foam board and acrylic together? I am using the foamboard to go up about 3 feet from the floor and acrylic to go up to nearly the ceiling. I am not sure how to assemble them together. Should i glue them together, or get some wood and use screws to screw the acrylic and foam board together? Thanks for the advice and suggestions

• Members

Just use liquid nails. Stuff is hard to beat and you wont have a bunch of screw holes to deal with.

In my case I only came up to the height of the toms. We rehurse and record so having the top open lets us hear the drums without having to wear headphones. I thought about using plexiglass from there up so we could see the drummer play, but again I'd have to have headphones which I really hate using.

What I used were Cubical panels used in an office laid on their sides. They block the amp bleedover into the drum mics quite well.

Main thing is, drums sound best with reflectivity. If you use alot of padding inside the booth, its going to make the drums sound dead. I siugest keeping at least two of the walls and the floor made of a hard reflective material. you can use some of that plastic styrofoam on the ceiling cut to form uneven squares like cubbie holes to trap resonance reflections.

I'd also suggest making the walls removable or hinged so you can fold them back away from the set. Chance are you'll get board with the sound and want to move things around and do some distant micing too. If you have hinges you could fild them back like shutters and take advantage of some open space recording.

Archived