PowerTube

BREAKING: Esteban guitar in local pawn shop is not bad

Okay, I had never heard of Esteban or seen the infomercials until I started asking about an acoustic/electric guitar in a local pawn shop. The tag inside the body says "American Legacy" and I could have sworn that the headstock said "Elezar." It's a weird script type of font. After getting a clue about Esteban, I searched for them on E-Bay and, sure enough, that's what this is.

Anyway.... this guitar is quite nice. Great tone, perfect intonation, great feel in the hands. I didn't try the electronics. I can hear the laughter from most of you already, but I'm not much of a "follow the crowd" type of guy. I don't plan on buying it because...

A) It's overpriced, like everything else in this particular store

-and-

B) I already have another acoustic on layaway.

However, if not for the above two reasons, I would have picked it up. It's a really nice guitar.

After reading the horrible reviews on Estebans here, I'm thinking that this might just be an exceptional gem or something.

What do you think?

Admins: Please forgive the cross post. This got no response all day in Open Jam.

That's funny, I just checked one out at an "As seen on TV" store. The sound wasn't that bad, but man, the construction, oh my. The position markers where at 3 5 7 9 and 12. The side ones were at 4 6 10 and 12. I mean, that is just too much. I don't care how much the thing costs. And the tuners? I turned them 1/2 a turn, a whole turn, nothing ... then BAM ! the string un-binds and loosens about 1/2 a step. The quality of this guitar was much much worse than other $100 guitars I have seen.

But the sound wasn't all that bad, probably due to its big booming dreadnought shape. Esteban in the house

:cool:

My aunt bought an Esteban guitar about four months ago, and it already needs a neck reset. They are JUNK!!!!!

It sounded really good when she got it, but within a few weeks the strings started buzzing. Upon close examination, the neck is pulling up off the body.

She called them and they are going to replace it under waranty, but now she doesn't want it. And of course there is no resale value, so she's going to have to practically give it away.

Do not buy an Esteban, they are total CRAP. They may look pretty and sound OK, but they are cheap junk. Stay away.

I usually insist on being my own judge of an instrument, but when the reviews are that bad, then yeah, I'll avoid it like the plague. I was just really surprised at how nice this particular one is.

Believe it or not, they have the price marked at (are you sitting down?)....$299.00!

:eek:

This shop is like that, though; they don't have a clue about anything musical and the prices are through the roof.

I bought an estaban about 10 years ago. I've read the over exaggerating reviews. I still have mine And wouldn't give it up. They may need a little tuning AND a better set of strings, the tuners May need to be adjusted, but I use every where with pride.