how long will taylor last...

Cldplytkmn

• Members

Martin has been making guitars for somewhere around 10,000 years... Gibson has been making guitars for a looooooong time too... I guess i'm just curious as to how longterm Taylor's success will be. No one can say for sure, of course, so wild opinions are fine by me... The only Taylor that has ever made me want to play it twice, was an all Koa version, not sure what model... beautiful guitar too... I think that they're sucess has had alot to do with their marketing, and in getting their guitars in the hands of alot of pro acts... I definitely can't fault them for that... obviously they're doing their job, and they are making high quality guitars. In my opinion their cult-like attraction will fade and they will be a non player before the 50 year mark... this from the hands of someone who just plain doesn't like taylors...

at least i'm honest right?? :D

• Members

Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

Martin has been making guitars for somewhere around 70 years...

I never was too much of a mathmatician, but I believe 2005 - 1833 > 70 yrs.

Then again, the world is going to end in 2012, so who really cares ?

• Members

huh?

As long as they are profitable, why wouldn't they last?

Maybe the buying public decides they don't want guitars anymore?

or maybe raw materials become so expensive that guitars are out of reach of the average buyer. Profitability is out of reach for the company so they fold.

or maybe Taylor misreports it's income for the past 10 years to the tune of 10 billion. Everyone holding stock is screwed, employees 401ks are worthless and the company files bankruptcy?

They'll last at least until the first change in management.

• Members

Actually, Taylor guitars are hyped up pretty good. The hype got me to go out and compare Taylor, Martin and Gibson when I bought a new acoustic a couple months ago. I played every model they had at Guitar Center. The only Taylor I liked was the Baby Taylor (spruce). Please keep in mind that guitar tone and playability is subjective. Many Taylor owners swear that Taylor makes the best guitars in the world.

Will Taylor continue to succeed in the American made guitar market place? That depends on the American made guitar markets ability to hold up against the onslaught of the ever improving, high quality Korean, Indonesian and Chinese made guitars. Martin, Taylor and Gibson may be forced to send production overseas to continue to compete in our so called "global" economy. Otherwise, they will be ate up by Samick and others.

• Members

Their marketing is a huge part of their success from my personal experience. When I first started looking for a high end guitar I thought the only options were Martin and Taylor. Then I started looking at stuff on the internet and found out about all sorts of companies that make great guitars but aren't as popular.

I think they'll be around for quite a while, theres no reason why they shouldn't be. I personally don't like the way they sound, thin, but I think part of the problem is that all of the taylors I've played have come strung with elixirs which are thin sounding strings. I like their necks a lot though.

• Members

Well while looking for a rosewood dread I got to compare a Gibby j45rosewood, a d28 and a taylor 910 i think it was, cutaway version all rosewood. The Taylor sound the best of all of them followed by the martin then the gibby. it may have been old strings or whatever...but on that day it wasn't even close for me....the taylor had far better tone. it was also the most expensive.

Archived