Are Ovation guitars durable?

bizilly

• Members

Just wondering how ovation guitars hold up thru the years. Since they have the plastic bowl, I thought that maybe the bowl would get brittle over time and crack or shatter. Any thoughts or info appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by bizilly

Just wondering how ovation guitars hold up thru the years. Since they have the plastic bowl, I thought that maybe the bowl would get brittle over time and crack or shatter. Any thoughts or info appreciated.

It's not the bowl that is the weakest link.

Ovation's are very prone to top cracks, usually running from the bridge to the end of the lower bout. This is attributed to the plastic and the wood not adjusting to temp/humidity changes at the same rate.

:)

• Members

The bowls themselves are as tough as helicopter blades. The problems are with everything else that attaches to them, mostly from the effects of time and tension. The little rubber leg gripper piece that is on the lower waist wears out pretty easily, but it's simple to replace it.

If you're looking for a stage acoustic that you can plug in and play, then toss it in the van, an Ovation is an OK way to go. Beat the crud out of it for a couple years then replace it. For the longer term, I'd suggest a solid body stage acoustic, which again is fairly cheap and sturdy.

If you're looking for something to play around the house or with a microphone, I'd suggest passing on the Ovation anyway. The ones I've played lately all sound like wooden barrels, dull and lifeless, but sound OK when plugged in. This is coming from a guy who's first acoustic was an Ovation classical, too - I'm not a rabid Ov-hater.

• Members

I've noticed that with newer Ovations, too. Older ones seem fine -- my father-in-law has had his Ovation for probably close to 15 years, and it sounds great (even unplugged). But I played a couple of new ones at a local music store a few months ago, and they sounded totally lifeless... basically "like a wooden barrel." Hopefully all the new ones aren't like that!

• Members

my beater guitar is a '73 standard balladeer and that thing gets major abuse and is very tough.

no cracks or separations anywhere. my kids beat up on it and it hasnt been in its case in years.

best $50 i ever spent.

• Members

While not my favorite sounding guitar, I have consistently experienced Ovations to be very durable and, on the one occassion that I needed it, their company support was excellent when the electronic tuner quit on my Custom Legend.

Top cracking is a mystery that is frequently seen but I never experienced it and had one Ovation 12 string that had no cracks after 22 years.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

there's a reason that guitarists who's living is made on tapping, such as Kaki King, are seen playing ovations and beating on the tops of them ... the things can take a beating.

but yes, i've seen 2 friend's ovations which tops have cracked ... the wood/plastic thing doesn't stand up too well to changes in temp and time.

• Members

Originally posted by ajames

there's a reason that guitarists who's living is made on tapping, such as Kaki King, are seen playing ovations and beating on the tops of them ... the things can take a beating.

Kaki King and Preston Reed are both heavy handed players. However, they both use Adamas guitars with Carbon Graphite soundbaords.:)

• Members

okay, it isn't plastic, it's a composite called lyrachord.

And yes they are durable as hell.

I have a '68 Balladeer that's in pristine condition.

I think the reason you see more with cracked tops is that they are way more durable than a standard wood guitar. An Ovation can take abuse that would make a standard guitar a pile of toothpicks.

I like the old ones and the new ones with the contour glass beaded bowl. Try one out.

• Members

Originally posted by F-holes

Kaki King and Preston Reed are both heavy handed players. However, they both use Adamas guitars with Carbon Graphite soundbaords.

my bad. good friends of mine saw her in concert and said she used numerous different guitars, one of which was an "ovation". i suppose now, it wasn't. oh well.

• Members

Originally posted by ajames

my bad. good friends of mine saw her in concert and said she used numerous different guitars, one of which was an "ovation". i suppose now, it wasn't. oh well.

It is, though. Sort of.:confused:

They are both products of Kaman Corp.

Adamas is advertised as Ovation's premium line, differing from the Ovation specifically in the use of carbon-graphite for the top.

http://www.adamasguitars.com/?fa=technology

http://www.adamasguitars.com/?fa=tech_top

Preston Reed

reed.jpg

Kaki King

kaki1.jpg

Archived