Larrivee vs Martin

PureChocolate

• Members

Well... First off..

How are Larrivee guitars? I haven't heard of them before until I saw one of their guitars in a shop

Secondly...

I'm trying to find a good guitar with a reasonable price. I first wanted an Ibanez AW120RDV because it was a great one with great price. ($375)

Then I found a special Martin D16GT at an affordable price ($800) with case. It's special because it's a Guitar Center only guitar; it's only sold there and it's like a D16GT but it does not have a glossed finish. I like this guitar and since it's a Martin, I don't doubt its authenticity. Its tone is quite nice as well; sharp, loud, has potential.

Now I found a Larrivee OM50 that I just love but it's very expensive. It's $1500; not sure if it includes case. What I like about this one is that it has a warmer overall sound. Like it said, it's definitely a traditional orchestrated sound.

So hard to decide... Any opinions/suggestions? Martin vs Larrivee... >

I know that pretty much all guitars above the $800 range are great. You could do a lot with those kinds of guitars. But which one to get?

Money is not a light issue for me..

Or any other suggestions that you could give me? I'm just trying to find a good acoustic at a good price. It's quite hard actually.......

Thanks in advance

• Members

I have a Larry OM-03R. It's realy cool. The build quality is good. Paid $850 new. Hav'nt played a Larry D yet, but I suspect they are nice.

I also have a couple Martins, 000-1 and a D-16GT. I've compared the Larry to a few Martin OM/000 size guitars, and I think Martin builds a better sounding OM/000 in the $800 range.

• Members

Sound is subjective - no one can tell you what you like. In terms of specs, you will have a hard time beating a Larrivee for the $. Ebony fretboard, maple binding, dovetail neckjoint, all solid wood (incl. B/S), canadian (03) or USA (all other models) made. Just fantastic guitars. But its YOUR ears (and fingers).

• Members

Originally posted by t60 fan

Sound is subjective - no one can tell you what you like. In terms of specs, you will have a hard time beating a Larrivee for the $. Ebony fretboard, maple binding, dovetail neckjoint, all solid wood (incl. B/S), canadian (03) or USA (all other models) made. Just fantastic guitars. But its YOUR ears (and fingers).

:thu: That is tellin' it like it is.....

I am a basic guitar player with lots to learn.

But I have played bass for many years semi-pro. I have built and designed sound systems since the mid 80's. A great ear I have......and a gentle touch with an ability to coax a few sweet sounds out of a quality instrument.

But I am glad at the moment I do not have your problem....maybe one day.

Larrivees are some of the finest guitars I have ever played.

Martins are some of the finest guitars I have ever played.

Either Brand are FABULOUS......as the man said it's personal.

My solution is simple......buy one.....save your money and eventually buy the other.

I'll lay you odds there are a lot of people on this site who have done similar things when they made difficult choices.

;)

• Members

I can only add imput on a Martin DC-16GTE I purchased. I've had it for three years now and still get chills playing on it. If you haven't checked out www.americanmusical.com, do so. They have a decent variety of Martins and great payment plans. What's nice is they let you break it into 3 - 5 monthly payments, but unlike going to a local music store, they send you the gear as soon as you order, no waiting for it to be paid off.

• Members

Well, the Martin is going to give you a warmer sound (used to own a great 0001). The OM-03/03R will probably have a slightly tighter, even brighter sound than the Larrivee, and it will have a wider neck than the Martin. The Martin was great for blues and jazz/fusion stuff, but not enough room for fingerstyle for me.

The Larrivee will be all solid wood. In that price range, the Martin will not (0001-laminated sides). The Larrivee will have a compensated bridge, the Martin will not (not having one drove me crazy with intonation).

Both nice guitars, different feel, different voices.

Brett

• Members

Originally posted by Brett Valentine

The Larrivee will have a compensated bridge, the Martin will not (not having one drove me crazy with intonation).

My 000-1 came with a compensated saddle. Intonation is near perfect. Martin 000-1 specs comes with compensated tusq.

Not sure what it's worth, but I've got a 000-1 and a Larry OM-03R sitting right here. I like them both, but I think the Martin is more versatile, warmer, can be bright if you want it to be. The Larry is fun, and a nice guitar but it has it's limitations.

PureChocolate, see if you can get hold of a few D-16GTs to try out. I'm quite happy with mine.

• Members

I purchased a new Martin D-16RGT a year ago. It's a great sounding guitar, solid spruce top and solid rosewood body. The factory workmanship, fit and finish, plus the factory set up was just right for me.

I play with local bluegrass and folk music bands in my area, and my 16 does really well up against my friends D-28's.

During the years time I have had my 16, the sound of the solid rosewood body has really opened up more.

The bolt on neck of the D-16 series is not a draw back on sound or quality. Taylor also makes good sounding acoustics and has used the bolt on necks with great success also. And the black micarta bridge and fret board of the Martin 16's has held up and performed well over the years since Martin began using it.

I use D'Addario phosphor bronze Bluegrass strings on my guitar.

I installed a compensated bone saddle, and bone bridge string pins, from Maury's Music. This saddle matches the shape-contour of the Martin factory Tusq saddle that came with the guitar. This gave the guitar a fuller tone, to an allready great sound. Deep bass and ringing trebles.

I used Scratch-X (from Walmart) and applied it to the satin finished back and sides of my Martin, and buffed it out by hand to a deep mirror gloss finish. Then polished it with a good quality guitar polish.

I now have a D-16RGT that has the look of a glossy D-28. I got this idea from Martin D-16RGT and D-16GT owners on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. I followed the directions from posts that were given on how to do this properly.

There are great guitars in the price range of my Martin, including the Larrivie D-03 in solid mahogany, or in rosewood.

But I think the Martin D-16GT in spruce/mahogany, and the D-16RGT in spruce/rosewood have the better edge on tone and sound projection.

I also own other acoustics, the Martin HD-28, a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, a Takamine EF-340SC, and an Alvarez PD-100S.

• Members

My deal?

I got it worked out to be... $1300

The price (while on sale) was about $1399

Somehow the guy said he would help me out and brought down some cost.

It was called a.... GC WWM or something (prolly not WWM.. I can't remember)

(GC stands for Guitar Center)

You know I heard those exclusives are sometimes inferior... But the one I got sounds pretty good. Anyone can clear this out?

• Members

Hey smart ass...

GC does have a custom model, infact they have a few that they also sell through MF. You could have one to. Hell, if you could find yourself 50,000 people to buy your custom model, you could work out a real good price with Chris Martin, and sell an all solid wood guitar with simple apointments for half the price of a standard series. Eldery music, along with the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum have both done this on a much smaller scale with better spec'd guitars. Get your head out of your ass.

• Members

Originally posted by musicbox

Hey smart ass...

GC does have a custom model, infact they have a few that they also sell through MF. You could have one to. Hell, if you could find yourself 50,000 people to buy your custom model, you could work out a real good price with Chris Martin, and sell an all solid wood guitar with simple apointments for half the price of a standard series. Eldery music, along with the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum have both done this on a much smaller scale with better spec'd guitars. Get your head out of your ass.

first off, you can't make a comment like this and not direct it at anyone... second of all, ease up there killer... no reason to get worked up and start hurling personal {censored}...

• Members

Hey smart ass...

GC does have a custom model, infact they have a few that they also sell through MF.

Mind telling us what the model numbers are?

Eldery music, along with the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum have both done this on a much smaller scale with better spec'd guitars. Get your head out of your ass.

I knew that about Elderly, but I did'nt know that about UMGF. Again, mind telling us the model numbers? I don't care if you call me names but at least try and be informative.

• Members

Originally posted by adrifter2004

I purchased a new Martin D-16RGT a year ago. It's a great sounding guitar, solid spruce top and solid rosewood body. The factory workmanship, fit and finish, plus the factory set up was just right for me.

I play with local bluegrass and folk music bands in my area, and my 16 does really well up against my friends D-28's.

During the years time I have had my 16, the sound of the solid rosewood body has really opened up more.

The bolt on neck of the D-16 series is not a draw back on sound or quality. Taylor also makes good sounding acoustics and has used the bolt on necks with great success also. And the black micarta bridge and fret board of the Martin 16's has held up and performed well over the years since Martin began using it.

I use D'Addario phosphor bronze Bluegrass strings on my guitar.

I installed a compensated bone saddle, and bone bridge string pins, from Maury's Music. This saddle matches the shape-contour of the Martin factory Tusq saddle that came with the guitar. This gave the guitar a fuller tone, to an allready great sound. Deep bass and ringing trebles.

I used Scratch-X (from Walmart) and applied it to the satin finished back and sides of my Martin, and buffed it out by hand to a deep mirror gloss finish. Then polished it with a good quality guitar polish.

I now have a D-16RGT that has the look of a glossy D-28. I got this idea from Martin D-16RGT and D-16GT owners on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. I followed the directions from posts that were given on how to do this properly.

There are great guitars in the price range of my Martin, including the Larrivie D-03 in solid mahogany, or in rosewood.

But I think the Martin D-16GT in spruce/mahogany, and the D-16RGT in spruce/rosewood have the better edge on tone and sound projection.

I also own other acoustics, the Martin HD-28, a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, a Takamine EF-340SC, and an Alvarez PD-100S.

Just FYI,the mortise and tenon neck joint used on the 16 series and others is most certainly not a bolt-on.The small bolt merely serves to hold the neck in place while the glue dries.The neck will stay put even if you remove the bolt.

This is very different to,say,Collings or Taylor whose neck joint is a bolt-on design.

• Members

'Scuse the personal attacks, but it seemed to me this kid was getting reemed for mentioning a model when no one knew the truth. The Custom models sold through MF can be found at these 2 links:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/515888/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/514700/

The model mentioned earlier can't be found on the site as I dont have the specifics on it, but if you walk into a local GC, you might find it there. No where else. I urge you to scoure the net for the two models linked. You will not find them anywhere else.

A link to a section of the UMGF dedicated to the creation of their custom guitar may be found here:

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm64

Another link on the UMGF:

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm61

Last, I don't recall personally attacking you. I was responding to the sarcastic reply of kwakatak:

"Guitar Center 2005 edition?

Personally I think the MTV ones are kewl! "

Needless trolling, posted only to make the purchaser feel like an idiot when clearly he is not. I am, for using over-zealous language in my post, and he is, for making an ignorant post. I appologize for my attack, but please inform yourself before making sarcastic replies.

(Edit: Link accuracy)

• Members

'Scuse the personal attacks, but it seemed to me this kid was getting reemed for mentioning a model when no one knew the truth. The Custom models sold through MF can be found at these 2 links:

The model mentioned earlier can't be found on the site as I dont have the specifics on it, but if you walk into a local GC, you might find it there. No where else. I urge you to scoure the net for the two models linked. You will not find them anywhere else.

A link to a section of the UMGF dedicated to the creation of their custom guitar may be found here:

Another link on the UMGF:

Last, I don't recall personally attacking you. I was responding to the sarcastic reply of kwakatak:

"Guitar Center 2005 edition?

Personally I think the MTV ones are kewl! "

Needless trolling, posted only to make the purchaser feel like an idiot when clearly he is not. I am, for using over-zealous language in my post, and he is, for making an ignorant post. I appologize for my attack, but please inform yourself before making sarcastic replies.

(Edit: Link accuracy)

well written post, and i for one appreciate the explaination... i'm gonna go out on a limb for kwak and say that i severely doubt he would insult somebody for buying ANY guitar... i think his displeasure is with Martin for making models like this... I'm with him personally, but i wouldn't and i doubt he would intentionally try to make anybody feel bad for buying on. Especially if they like it.

Archived