Martin w/Satin Finish??

black blade

• Members

My OM-1 has a satin finish. I kinda like the way it looks, but it is annoying that the parts that get rubbed on turn shiny pretty fast.

As far as protecting, my guitar isn't all that old so time will tell. It does pick up little marks from overenthusiastic strums pretty easy.

On the whole, it is probably not the best finish option IMO and I can see why the better than entry-level Martins don't use it for the most part.

• Members

I've got a seven or eight year old D15. It does get shiny in spots, but seems to do the job. The satin is cost saving because not much is used in the finish relative to nitro or poly. This makes it more likely to wear through to bare wood.

While I prefer the heavier finish to the satin, the finish really only protects your guitar from external moisture. No finish can protect your guitar from bumps.

• Members

The difference is almost entirely aesthetic. The only chemical diff between a Marty satin finish and a Marty gloss finish is a solution added to the satin version to make it dry with a less glossy final visual result. That, and gloss is more labor-intensive to execute and therefore more expensive. Otherwise, it's the same stuff, same protection. What the factory does is kind of an accelerated version of you making portions of your satin guitar shiny over months or years of playing - they just use buffing wheels instead of sweaty arms.

I prefer satin.

• Members

if you like to have a really vintage looking guitar in a not really vintage time, you are in there! my guitar is satin finish, and people ask me if its really old all the time. i got it in 2000. maybe just me, but i think the wood "mellows " faster with a satin finish than shiny, but if you wanna keep her mint, better baby that axe! i love my guitar, but she definately scratches far more easy than a shiny one! (also, don't EVER let anyone else play it, no matter how good they "claim" to be- chances are , they are used to a shiny finish and a simple "oh, SORRY, MAN!! " doesn't take those scratches that "they would never make(yeah right) " off of your guit, nor does it incline them to replace it. let's just say i found that out the hard way, and most of the war wounds on my axe came from well meaning "great" musicians who had no clue that they scratch the {censored} out of a guitar because theirs is shiny finish and it doesn't show! :mad: also watch for dog claws, people tossing you a lighter, your belt buckle, or even jeans button, and you will get shine spots where your right arm rests on the body and (if you sit and play ever) where your guit sits on your leg. despite all of this, i love my axe and i don't think i would go back , but you never know? i like the vintage look, but it took years for me to get used to it. one good thing is, however, the marks you WILL get kinda blend in and fade with time, and you start to accept them as part of your guitar's character over time. (you kinda have to, or you will always be miserable.) if it scratches, though , it shouldnt crackle the finish like it would on a shiny guitar, and the neck gets this amazing fine polish to it over time. i can really tell where i play the most! a note of caution- be careful not to strike above the pickguard! many people(see above) have no idea they hit that part while playing, because it doesn't affect their guitars!! it will wear pretty bad at the bottom of the sound hole if you aren't careful, as well as over strum on the bottom bridge side of the guard. that looks very terrifying, and it only takes one idiot know it all playing ziggy stardust to make it happen. these things really are "baby me or i'll let you know it "- type instruments! hope this helped!

• Members

Like Knockwood said, satin and gloss finishes are exactly the same except satin finishes have a gloss inhibitor. The two finishes are the same thickness, the same hardness, and offer the same protection.

Satin finishes are a cost saving measure. A satin finish does not have to be applied as "perfectly" as a gloss finish because the dull luster hides imperfections better than gloss.

• Members

I am planning to get a warmoth lp and am debating wether I should get a gloss or satin finsh. There will be no paint on the guitar (just grain filler and finish) and was wondering if a gloss finish will bring out the flame in the maple top better than a satin finish. Im getting the neck in satin (for the feel) and would like to match the body to it but if a get a better flame with the gloss, I'll go gloss.

What do you think?

• Members

Originally posted by exhaust_49

I am planning to get a warmoth lp and am debating wether I should get a gloss or satin finsh. There will be no paint on the guitar (just grain filler and finish) and was wondering if a gloss finish will bring out the flame in the maple top better than a satin finish. Im getting the neck in satin (for the feel) and would like to match the body to it but if a get a better flame with the gloss, I'll go gloss.

What do you think?

I'd think if you're interested in accentuating the natural maple appearance, you might be better served by gloss.

You may want to check this out:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/FinishIntro/finishintro.html

• Members

Originally posted by exhaust_49

Thanks a lot. Gloss for the body and satin for the neck.

Definitely go with gloss to bring out the flame. As much as some would like to disagree due to its reflective qualities, a gloss finish is much more 'invisible' than a satin finish. It's like comparing clear glass to frosted glass.

Archived