• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Collings D-1 asking price: $2880.

D-18A with 40% off list: $4800.

Take your pick.

The D1 with an Adi top (D1A) is a little more, but still more than a grand less than the D-18A... But I'd take the D1 over both... I just don't get a big thrill from Adi tops.

Maybe Bill C. would trade me one of his D1's for my Martin D-1...

maybe not, though...

• Members

Well, wtf. Here's a premium dread built with pre-war specs by a guy with an excelent reputation vs the D-18A.

The only real dif is the neck joint and top wood. Both of which are a preference.

The thing that sells the D-18A is the logo, IMO. Collings is'nt the only reputable luthier building premium pre-war type guitars.

• Members

Martin now has 196 models to choose from. What's wrong with this picture?

Someone needs to fire their marketing people....or maybe tell them they will continue to be paid if they promise to do nothing.

Can Chris Martin (or whoever calls the shots) be that shallow of a businessman that he doesn't see his Marketing group pulling them into the same ditch that has ruined so many fine companies?

People, get your Martins now.... cause in less than10 years, the company will be {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by tonedrops

Can Chris Martin (or whoever calls the shots) be that shallow of a businessman that he doesn't see his Marketing group pulling them into the same ditch that has ruined so many fine companies?

People, get your Martins now.... cause in less than10 years, the company will be {censored}.

I think the answer to the first question is probably yes - about the shallow part. I'm not sure about the ditch. My head just is not one that thinks well along business-oriented lines, so I have no clue what works/what will pull a company into a ditch. But I've had this thought before that the Martin boy who started the company did so because he loved and was fascinated by instruments... Succeeding generations are born into the company, and I think there has to be an increasing element of corporate cynicism in the bloodline. Over time, it becomes less about art and more about business. I believe the standing CFM was a business major...

I've also had that same thought about getting Martins now... I worry about this with all major North American brands, though. It's not so much their marketing strategies that worries me, but the increasing availability of quality instruments from China. Not sure there's any marketing strategy involving US manufactured goods that'd be good enough to combat the Asian invasion, and I do get concerned about what practices the desperation of US manufacturers may lead to. On the other hand, the explosion of general manufacturing in China is such that I suspect within the next decade or so supply & demand will elevate their prices to levels that ironically will make things a little easier on the guys over here... Maybe.

• Members

Gentleman to your corners please !

for the most part consumers are not stupid , ( well at least those in the over 30 range guitarists are not) when they find a better instrument at a better price, they will buy it- i bought my Martin mainly because i feel in love with its sound - and i think its a great guitar ( no arguments- it is ) Yesterday i went shopping for a classical guitar ( most of you could care less about this ) but the point is most were over priced and really were hype - I found a all wood classical ( lucida made in Spain ) for around 600- with a great sound --where could a acoustic steel string person find such an instrument like that thats not made in China- not sure but I cant find one-- if they did, it would put a few us companies on the rocks -- especially at the quality this one has-- US costs are more than foreign- labor,etc,etc.( thats no secret ) maybe because we just charge more for stuff so we can live our life styles that were use to, but in other countries they dont, so they are taking us by storm -and our economy may not survive, if we dont get our act together.!

• Members

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Queequeg

winner: top 10 most ridiculous postings this week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by derivicus

I have probably owned more guitars then you will in your lifetime, along with 24 years of playing them. My post is certainly not "rediculous".

Perhaps not "rediculous". But, how about "self important" or "pompous"?

And I'm not saying this to try to invalidate your 24 years of expertise in guitars, I'm just saying that perhaps you should read your own posts with a objective eye, and see how they sound to you.

This is just the opinion of an old guy who's been playing guitars for over 40 years, and doesn't care much about brand names...

:wave:

• Members

i don't think martin's expansion as proof that they're going to crash and burn... ten years? you seriously think in under ten years martin will be {censored}?

martin HAD to expand their line downward in order to compete with the growing import market, which is getting better and better for around the same prices they've always been. competition.

martin HAD to expand their line upward in order to compete with the handmades... Taylor has been doing the same thing, and now even started a 'new' brand of $3000+ guitars. The fact that martin charges outrageous prices for a few things, the D18A of course comes to mind, is not troublesome to me at all... why? because there's loads of {censored}ing guys lining up to buy them... i can't knock em until i've played one, which may never happen. It'd take alot to justify the diff. in price between the D18GE and the A, thats the only real question i have about it.

businesses do what they want, and they charge what they want... and every time somebody buys one of their guitars, they vote to keep that business around. I don't think Martin will crash and burn for a long time... and i mean that from a quality-of-guitars point of view.

lets not all get too riled up.

• Members

Originally posted by knockwood

Martins are bad guitars.

I admire a man who's not afraid to take a stand on an issue without equivocation or ambivalence. None of this "on the other hand" crap. And I'm certain, without exception, knockwood, we're all in agreement with you on this one. now go forth and multiply.

• Members

Originally posted by knockwood

Martins are bad guitars.

Don't forget to throw the Martin owners under the bus - they are foolish and uneducated (yet somehow they find the money to buy those Martins....).

• Members
Originally posted by Marlin in Minn

quote:

winner: top 10 most ridiculous postings this week.

Perhaps not "rediculous". But, how about "self important" or "pompous"?

And I'm not saying this to try to invalidate your 24 years of expertise in guitars, I'm just saying that perhaps you should read your own posts with a objective eye, and see how they sound to you.

This is just the opinion of an old guy who's been playing guitars for over 40 years, and doesn't care much about brand names...

:wave:

+1 :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Hudman

Don't forget to throw the Martin owners under the bus - they are foolish and uneducated (yet somehow they find the money to buy those Martins....).

LOL.

I guess I'm the newest fool - just bought my first Martin. My life is ruined, I'm apparently uneducated (I guess my Engineering degree didn't "take" or something), and I'm foolish for even considering a Martin, let alone purchasing one.

But that's par for the course I guess - I mean, after all, I have purchased an SG and Les Paul, when I should've purchased Agiles. Errr...something. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Fireproof

LOL.

I guess I'm the newest fool - just bought my first Martin. My life is ruined, I'm apparently uneducated (I guess my Engineering degree didn't "take" or something), and I'm foolish for even considering a Martin, let alone purchasing one.

But that's par for the course I guess - I mean, after all, I have purchased an SG and Les Paul, when I should've purchased Agiles. Errr...something.
:D

Don't worry, all is not lost. You've just made the first steps towards recovery. Now make sure to read everything posted here for the past 750 days and you'll start to get the picture.
:rolleyes:

• Members

There's a lesson for us running through this thread:

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think." -Niels Bohr

I love it - that's an awesome quote! I may have to steal it for my sig. :thu:

• Members

I'm so glad I'm learning so much about myself. I used to think I didn't have a Martin because my checkbook hadn't (yet) allowed me to have one. But enlightenment has shown me that I am far to discerning, intellegent and educated to disparage my own credibility by possessing one of these stupid embarrassments.

However, generous soul that I am, I am also willing to help a brother (or sister) out by accepting one of the offensive instruments known as Martins in a purely altruistic gesture designed to uplift the unfortunate uneducated soul. A HD28 or possibly a D18GE please.

Archived