Almost perfect Alvarez MD 80

recordingtrack1

• Members

I got my new 80 yesterday. Man it is cool! Thanks to somebody (I don't remember who) I saw in a post about Millersmusic.com. I actually got the guitar in a ebay auction for $202.51, plus $20 shipping. It sounds and looks great. I'm back in the dread again and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to do it. It is stamped "almost Perfect" inside(second). the reason is that

it has a couple of surface cracks but they were professionally repaired.

I don't really care about the cracks, though they are not hugely noticeable. I wanted something I could play the S*** out of and this appears to be it.

I do want to put some onboard electronics in it. Does anyone have suggestions? One of my buddies suggests a Fishman ellipse system but I don't know anything about them.

Also, I was amazed at how crisp, almost brittle sounding the guitar is. I like it but it is a little too bright for me. I guess I have gotten used to the mids and bottom of my Jumbo with Mediums on it. It has Mahogany back and sides and spruce top and lights. Any suggestions on taking the edge off that sound a bit?

Ain't life just absolutely damned fantaztic???

RT1

• Members

For a quick tone change, put on a set of Martin SP Phosphur Bronze, Elixors are naturally bright. Wow, I have an Alvarez RD20S that sounds great, glad I didn't go for a higher end one, doesn't sound like the tone is all that great

Jim

• Members

If it has a Tusq saddle I second Fstpicker's suggestion of a bone saddle. Pins are pretty hard to hear but Tusq is usually a lot brighter than bone.

I happen to feel that 80/20's are less bright than PB's (you will hear this argued a lot), and I feel that coated strings are less bright than uncoated. Don't know what you have on it now but my thought would be to try a set of Elixers or Nanos (but not PB's) unless you have one of those anti-Elixer problems

If you are going to bone it and string it, do them separately so you can tell the difference. Put the new strings on with the old saddle, then loosen them and change the saddle. Report back to the Mother Ship.

And enjoy your new baby! Today I'm thinking that life IS pretty fantaztic!

• Members

Thanks for the replies. First of all, I am very fond of Elixirs. To be frankly honest, I don't know what type of strings it has right now but I will be changing them out shortly. They were just brand new and you hate to be wasteful. As hard as I've been playing this thing, I can kill'em DEAD in a couple of days. I may try the PB's first but nano's are really my string of choice.

I hate to sound stupid but what is "Tusq"? Does that mean some type of plastic, because that is exactly what it appears to be. I will make an effort to change out both bridge and pins. What do you think about the nut? It seems to be plastic as well.

I have a feeling that after I get this baby tuned in some, it will be the best 200 I ever spent!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions on a pickup system?

Again thanks. HC is the coolest place!

RT1

• Members

Thinking about your initial comments, The MD80 is a total solidwood guitar, I have played solid wood Blueridges that sound great out of the box.

That guitar should sound really good now, it is solid wood, you shouldn't have to be worrying about bridge pins and saddles. Martin uses Corian and micarta for it's saddle and nut, nobody changes them, wonder if it is the guitar

Jim

Archived