String selection...........is it really that important?

Mr Handman

• Members

Inform yourself...is there a perfect string?....... MADE just for your guitar? :confused:

The answer COULD be, yes.

Why did your Guitar's manufacture put those particular types and gauges on your guitar? Did they have a surplus supply of those strings lying around their shop?

Did they get a 'deal' on that brand?

Maybe you have changed out to something other than what came on her, will that affect the guitar's performance?

Could they have taken into consideration the string's tension on your guitar? Or the location of the strings over the bridge feet or the bridge arches?

I would recommend reading literature on this subject and/or writing your Guitar's Manufacturer and asking them to explain it to you, they will be pleased you did. (Technicians love to talk shop)...........:thu:

Try sending an email to one of the Masters of Luthiery at Frets.com

:)

• Members

Which string as well as what guitar to put them on is different from person to person- ive been trying different strings on my Martin for some time now seaching for its best string- Its been over seven months now and ive tried 4 different string sets- not sure yet which ones i like ( just put PB dadario EXlights on yesterday) the only conclusion ive come to so far is that I like Extra lights - if nothing else but for the reason that they are easier to play and I am a bit faster and have less finger fatigue- ive also realized that what ever strings i put on sound better after they settle in- usually about a week- and i think they sound their best somewhere between new and being dead ! Its a journey to find the right strings as well as a journey to find the right guitar - it can be a real adventure !

• Members

I look at it like 31 flavors. I hav'nt come to the "right string for each guitar" conclusion. Maybe someday I will. I'm happy with most any quality ph/br string.

Guage is more important to me. I'd like to know core size but not many companies list it. The size of the core changes the way a string feels, the tension. Also changes the way it plays. I like GHS because I can mix and match, I think they literally make every guage.

Most if not all light guage 12-54 sets have a .016 B string. To me it feels too light, does'nt belong there. I think it should be a .017

• Members

"String selection...........is it really that important?"

Comparing strings brands/types of a particular guage, it seems the answer for some people on some guitars, the answer is yes.....for other people, the answer is no.

The only way to know for sure with your ears and guitar is to try a few sets and draw your own conclusions.

• Members

My approach to finding the right string for each guitar is that I go to D'Addario first then try a few others and note which one I prefer then I usually stick with that one on my acoustics. In the end it is usually a Martin or D'Addario that I prefer and use.

I like to switch between flat wound and round on my electrics so the only realy question is which round wound I prefer and for the electric side there are 3-4 for each guitar I switch between when I change strings.

• Members

Aside from either round or hex core, winding material(80/20, PB, etc.), coated or uncoated, just how much of the rest is marketing hype? There are literally hundreds of brands out there, all telling you how unique their strings are.

Choose your favourite combination of metals and your favourite package design and that should be enough!;)

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

......Guage is more important to me. I'd like to know core size but not many companies list it. The size of the core changes the way a string feels, the tension. Also changes the way it plays. I like GHS because I can mix and match, I think they literally make every guage....

I agree, it's the string guage...

The Martin guitar factory has recommended that my brother in law

• Members

Trying out some Martin SP+ bronze mediums this week; after trying out Martin SP lights and D'addario's. Actually it's been a bit hard to find the exact sound I'm looking for, hoping the medium SP+'s will do the trick. I'm looking for a thicker/warmer sound with less twang than you get from the phosporus bronzes. All on a Martin DC16-GTE.

I also play bass and have to say the difference in strings on that instrument are extremely obvious. Tried at least a half dozen different types of strings on my EB MusicMan Stingray 5-string; EB Super Slinky's, Elixer's, GHS, D'Add's..then gave the DR Lowriders a try and was amazed at the difference. I was extremely happy with the tone and life of the DR's; lifetime DR user for my bass strings.

Anyone try DR acoustic strings?

• Members

Huh? Phosphor bronzes are too bright for the first week? I don't seem to have this problem. OTOH to me 80/20s in general are way too bright for the first week and then the tone drops off dramatically until I have to tear them off at the end of the third week.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Play them for a week or two. They sound best after about two weeks IMO.

+1; yes, definitly like the sound after a week or so but many times I'm changing strings just before a gig, so not much time to wait. I also just prefer less brightness; just personal opinion.

It may be also be attributed to the light guage I'm using. Maybe I should try some medium phosporus bronzes.

One great thing about experimenting with acoustic strings, not a bad thing taking a $6-$10 hit each time I try something new as compared to shelling out $20-$60 on bass strings. :thu:

Anyone try the DR acoustics?

• Members

bigby---I have been playing DR Extra Life strings in 11-50 and 12-54 on several of my guitars. They are the best coated strings I have played on most of my acoustics (unwound strings are also coated) in terms of tone. On some of my guitars, including a Martin HD-28 I recently purchased, I get more of what I am looking for in the PB Dean Markley Alchemy.

I have been playing John Pierce PB's lately and they have become my favorite non-coated string. I just picked up a couple sets of DR Sunbeams to try out. I have heard good things about them and they are round core/lower tension--should be a little easier to fret the heavier guages. I tried a set of Newtones for this same reason and was not terribly impressed.

• Members

Originally posted by rjoxyz

bigby---I have been playing DR Extra Life strings in 11-50 and 12-54 on several of my guitars. They are the best coated strings I have played on most of my acoustics (unwound strings are also coated) in terms of tone. On some of my guitars, including a Martin HD-28 I recently purchased, I get more of what I am looking for in the PB Dean Markley Alchemy.

I have been playing John Pierce PB's lately and they have become my favorite non-coated string. I just picked up a couple sets of DR Sunbeams to try out. I have heard good things about them and they are round core/lower tension--should be a little easier to fret the heavier guages. I tried a set of Newtones for this same reason and was not terribly impressed.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Members

I love DR's. I've tried several other brands but nothing really matched the sound and feel I was looking for. When I first put on a set DR Sunbeam 12's and played for a couple weeks I knew I found a match.

• Members

I've tried a lot during my first year and a half on an OM-21 using a pick.

I learned I did not like 80/20s; much too bright.

Phosphor Bronze are what I like, and I do not like the long lasting coatings as offered by Elixir, for example. I think the coatings add a slight buzz when you slide notes up or down because they introduce an extra interface between string and fret.

Of phosphor bronze strings, using just one gauge, they're all the same. If I don't like them as soon as I put them on, it's nothing that a beer and a toke can't solve.

There is one exception with phosphor bronze, and that is the Martin SP trebles. (I have heard these are just like Thomas Inkfield (sp) strings too.) Some sort of electroplated coating of a golden appearance. It mellows these strings down and removes tinniness. But at the same time it takes away from your shimmery clear high note lead capability. A trade off that offers a nice change to your sound now and then.

Custom Lights (between extra light and light) I find myself switching back and forth between just Lights. Allows me to be more of a bluesy player as opposed to a rock/pop/country player. String bends are just pushed a little more, more English on your technique simply because you need to get the lighter gauge to punch up a little more since the presence of the sound is slightly diminished due to the lower gauge. They're a lot of fun but you miss your Lights after a month.

Don't think I'll try Mediums just yet. The Lights do a number on wearing my thumb down at the nail to the point of an open wound, and then I have to wait several days to play again.

You have a color option on how your strings look in the PB range:

Martin SP: Golden, basses and trebles.

J. Pearse: Coppery basses, blue steel trebles

Pyramid: Coppery basses, metalic steel trebles

D'addario: Coppery basses, metalic steel trebles.

This has a slightly subjective lean on your playing since playing is a subjective thing. If you feel a certain way about your strings, and your guitar, when you sit down to play, your playing will reflect this.

So, finally it narrows down to cost and packaging. This is the $5 to $8 range for domestic versus the $10 to $14 range for imported. Depends on how rich you feel at purchase time. Then too, the D'addarios come in that chemical preservative package which keeps them fresh until you use them, which is a plus.

Of strings I would be willing to shell out hard cash on, it comes down to Pyramids, John Pearse, D'addario, and Martin. Not much of a narrowing down, since these are all the uncoated brands I've tried.

Buy what you like. ;)

Archived