Framus neck?

blackpig

• Members

Can anyone tell me how to get the neck off an old Framus Texan so I can reset it? It's a bolt-on neck, similar to an Eko Ranger 6, but when I take out the bolts the neck won't budge. Is the damn thing glued as well as bolted? Or is it just stuck there after 30+ years? I thought this was going to be a simple job - remove neck, insert shim, replace neck...

• Members

Most "bolt on" necks have the fretboard extension glued to the top (the Taylor NT neck is only one I know of that is bolted). Some, like the Martin MT joint also have glue in the neck to heel joint itself - the drywall looking screw just holds it together. They have to be steamed apart just like a dovetail.

Other bolted joints like old Taylors and Collings do not have glue in the neck joint (but will have the fretboard glued down). I've seen pictures of changing the neck angle by removing the bolts and wedging a piece of sandpaper between the neck and body, but not removing the fretboard from the top.

Don't know about your Framas, tho

btw - usual method of changing neck angle is to remove material, unless it is a Taylor NT. Shims are used to take up space in a dovetail.

• Members

Hmmm...I thought of putting a shim in the area underneath the two bolts nearest the end of the neck, making it pitch back slightly. I've done this before on solid bodies with bolt-on necks. The neck on this thing seems to be welded on. Time to get out the lump hammer and the whiskey. Thanks anyway.

• Members

dont think the Framus line was glued on , quite possible that with age the finish is sticking together - you might want to ask at the 13thfret forum , a lot of luthiers check in their from time to time - they can give you a better answer , before you thump that guitar the wrong way.

Archived