Seagull Guitars- Bolt-On Neck

metalmania13

• Members

Like others I have owned Seagulls for years & never had a problem. I have owned both the S & M models.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Seagull necks are put on similarly like the Taylor's necks are. (Maybe one of the other guys can tell you for sure)

:D

• 13 years later...
17 minutes ago, Bob's Guitars said:

I have a C6 in need of 2 bolts,where can I get them???

It's a very old thread, so you might not get replies from the people who posted in it previously. 

Have you tried contacting Seagull to see if you can order replacement bolts from them? I would imagine that's your best bet... 

http://www.seagullguitars.com/

• Members
13 hours ago, Freeman Keller said:

I just worked on one.   They should be SAE 1/4-20.  The ones I use are 1-1/4 long but that might not be right for an A&L/Seagull.   

1101191516.thumb.jpg.6ddbe36850901f41c24a5df865b59f65.jpg

Of all the mortise tenon schemes that strikes me as strange that application.

• Members
2 hours ago, gitmo said:

Of all the mortise tenon schemes that strikes me as strange that application.

Its not a M&T, its a bolted butt joint.   You see them from time to time on ukuleles and its somewhat similar to Taylors NT joint except for the shims and bolt in the fretboard extension.

If Bob is still around and has the neck off he can check the length by knowing that the insert is 1/2 inch long.   If the neck is still on the guitar measure the length of the neck block, add 1/16 for the sides, 1/2 for the insert.  He does not want the bolt to bottom out in the insert.   Also, Bob, you should use Belleville washers under the bolt heads.

• Members

i haven't owned many guitars, but my s6 was my pride and joy; stolen years ago unfortunately. i'm in the market for a dreadnaught again, and it's my top choice right now even though i can afford higher end. anything wrong with bolt ons?

i'm resisting the urge to make a fake boobs joke.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a Medeira (Japanese made Guild) and I am not having any success in getting the neck off to try a "reset". The fret board is off. the Old rusty truss rod is out. I took the nut off the bolt protruding through the end-block. No dovetail. Will I need to use steam, because maybe there is glue in the bolt hole? The label inside has been destroyed, but It clearly was an Oval shape. The headstock is "square", sort of like a Martin, so I think that it is an A-30, first generation. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
23 hours ago, Goge said:

Hi what size are the Allen screws above the bolts on a seagull 12 12 string guitar that keep the neck from coming off how do I remove them I had to use a phone camera inside to see them

There's nothing special about those Allen bolts. They're the same size as the bolts used in furniture like IKEA or WayFair or wherever. That kind of furniture typically comes with an Allen wrench to put them together. If you have any furniture like that then hopefully you kept one of those wrenches. If not, you can find them easily enough in any hardware store. If you have a set of Allen wrenches, what you need is metric - either 3mm or 5mm.

That may not be enough to get the neck off though. It may also be glued together. You won't know until you have the bolts pulled.