Wechter Maple Lake line of guitars

Smurf42

• Members

Is anyone familiar with, or played, the Wechter Maple Lake line of guitars? They look like a dream come true to a cash strapped musician, like myself, with their 3 pickup system (Bridge, Soundhole Pickup, and Mic). If anyone has one, or tried one, what do you like - dislike about it, etc.? The mp3 demos on the site are pretty limited, as I would have liked to also hear each pickup by itself, along with the combos.

I am leaning towards more Fingerstyle compared to strumming, so neck width is a major focal point to me, and it will be used for recording more than live performance. I am also leaning towards the Parlor size one.

Thank You in advance for any and all information that you may have! :cool:

I have the Wechter Pathmaker. The pickup system is similar. I don't know what the Maple Lake guitars sound and play like but if they are anything like the Pathmaker, they will be a treat.

The neck is almost electric like yet still acoustic like. Don't think that makes sense except to say it loses nothing in dynamics while still making it easy to finger.

When I originally did these I was still looking for "sweet settings" but I figured these could give an overall view of how this guitar sounds.

Edit: I am playing direct to my toneport (USB interface) to N-track (computer). The only effect added was a lil reverb.

This one compares the separate pickups.

Piezo

Magnetic

Mic

Piezo Mag

Piezo Mag Mic

Obviously playing with these settings can yield varying results.

Pickup comparison

These are shortened songs that, my degree of facility not withstanding, should let you hear how this guitar can sound.

A piece I picked up from one of the Taylor Wood n Steel CD's

Summertime

Spanish flavored clip

Generic finger n strum clip

Hope this is helpful.

Originally posted by guit30

Maple Lake are all laminate guitars

Thanks. The only Martin guitar I ever liked the tone of was all laminate.

I think the Wechter Maple Lake line is their entry level. But if it has the same pickup system, it may sound pretty good.

My Pathmaker sounds terrific unplugged and awesome plugged in.

• Members

Hey Frets99, Thank You for all the info, and taking the time to post the demos. One problem tho, I can not hear them because I am on dial up and it keeps timing out before it gets buffered. Which sucks, because I was looking forward to hearing each pickup by itself.

And glad ya had fun at the open mic! Those are nice to go to. Again, Thanks for the info..:cool:

Originally posted by Smurf42

Hey Frets99, Thank You for all the info, and taking the time to post the demos. One problem tho, I can not hear them because I am on dial up and it keeps timing out before it gets buffered. Which sucks, because I was looking forward to hearing each pickup by itself.

And glad ya had fun at the open mic! Those are nice to go to. Again, Thanks for the info..
:cool:

I will yousendit the pups comp tonight through this thread.

Also these are the specs on the guitar from the Wechter site. It isn't laminate.

# Spruce Top

# Mahogany Back, Sides and Neck

# Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge

# Tortoise Shell Binding

# Natural Gloss Finish

# Diecast Chrome Tuners

# Premium Coated Strings

# Deluxe Padded Gig Bag included

# Electronics installation and final setup with Plek Pro

in our Michigan shop

Wechter Guitars

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

Also these are the specs on the guitar from the Wechter site. It isn't laminate.

# Spruce Top

Notice how it says "spruce top" for the Lake series, while for guitars in the 5700 series (for example), it says "solid spruce top"?

I guess it means "spruce top" is not "solid spruce top"... it then has to be laminate spruce top.

My 2 cts.

Originally posted by Pascal

Notice how it says "spruce top" for the Lake series, while for guitars in the 5700 series (for example), it says "solid spruce top"?

I guess it means "spruce top" is not "solid spruce top"... it then has to be laminate spruce top.

My 2 cts.

My bad. I missed it! Thanks Pascal.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I have a Wechter Maple Lake madel 2411 serial #11538 made in china quality assured by Wechter Guitars .

My question is enyone else have this same model guitar ? And what year was this Guitar put out for sale ? How do you like this guitar ? What do you use this guitar for ? Personal or entertaining ? Or in a band ?

Thank you in advance for the information! 

• Members

I don't have an answer for you, Franco. The guitar is unknown to me but I did take this request to the internet and search it. I came up empty handed. It appears Abraham Wechter left the US and went to China to further his craft with hand made high end guitars. A few years ago his guitars were on the market but that seems to have stopped. Good luck finding out about your guitar. Knowing Wechter's history, your guitar has become a collectible so hang onto it.

Archived