CTrain

Dumb question - How do you pronounce "Takamine"?

What is the right pronunciation for "Takamine"? I used to always think it was tack-ah-myn, but I've heard it pronounced by many as tack-ah-min-ee. So which is it? Thanks, and sorry for the "simpleness" of the question haha

Originally posted by CTrain

What is the right pronunciation for "Takamine"? I used to always think it was tack-ah-myn, but I've heard it pronounced by many as tack-ah-min-ee. So which is it? Thanks, and sorry for the "simpleness" of the question haha

Good question actually, that was discussed here before. I think the concensus was "tack-ah-meen-ee".

Given that it's a Japanese proper name (the original factory was in Sakashita, Japan at the base of Mt. Takamine) I would say that it's best to try and mimic Japanese enunciation:

tah' - kah - me' - neh

Originally posted by kwakatak

Given that it's a Japanese proper name (the original factory was in Sakashita, Japan at the base of Mt. Takamine) I would say that it's best to try and mimic Japanese enunciation:

tah' - kah - me
'
- neh

That's the proper pronunciation.

Originally posted by Sweb

That's the proper pronunciation.

Let me edit my original post then. It should actually be pronounced like this:

tah' - kah - mee' - neh

The third syllable should have the "long e" pronunciation.

Now there's a man who's not afraid to take a stand -I like that!

You'll be banned shortly - nice knowing you!:wave:

• Haha 1

Wow. 14 year old thread, eternal question. Since the letter "e" in anglicized Japanese is pronounced as a long "a," rather than "eh," I pronounce it Tah-kah-ME-nay.

I pronounced it ta-ka-mee-nee (accent on the third syllable, with a long E at the end of the fourth) for years until someone corrected me and told me it was ta-ka-mee-nay. :0 Apparently that's how it's pronounced in Japan, and since it's their language and the name comes from the name of a mountain there, I defer to their POV on the matter. 

My apologies to the Japanese for for butchering the name for years. But hey, I have a hard enough time pronouncing things in my own native language sometimes, so it certainly wasn't intentional. :lol:  :0

Fact is, Japanese do not accent syllables after the first. Multi syllable words are pronounced without cadence, inflection or character. They speak with zero dynamics. Western languages are sing-songy by contrast. So, tok'-ah-min-eh is how it would be pronounced, with the final syllable almost like a ghost note. But, because they speak so quickly, the untrained ear probably would not discern the name when spoken in context. If pronounced alone aural recognition might have a chance. A little first-hand experience. 

• Thanks 1