Who owns Kona KS2NE or KG1CEN? Incredible acoustic-electric for under $200.

Grayson73

• Members

I bought the Kona KG1CEN for $160 and it is AMAZING!

Does anyone else have the KS2NE or KG1CEN? The KG1CEN is brand new and therefore not listed on harmony central, but the KS2NE has awesome reviews. I challenge anyone to find a better acoustic-electric for under $500.

These are apparently the best Kona acoustic-electrics available. See below for a message I got from Kona.:

There are two models that I feel are a great value for the money. The first would be our KS2NE. This model has a solid spruce top with Rosewood back and sides and is what we call a medium jumbo and is part of our Signature Series. The combination of the solid top and medium jumbo size provide a

deeper more rich sound whether you are using it plug into an amp or as a straight acoustic. The electronics used are active instead of passive giving you more control over your sound when using it with an amp.

The second model is our brand new KG1CEN. This model is part of our KONA Gold series and has the same solid spruce top but we used mahogany for the back and sides to create more sustain and give a little different look. It is a regular dreadnought size and has book matched back. The electronics in the unit are the active once again but it also includes a tuner built in which comes in quite handy.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

i cannot say anything about the KG1CEN but i did buy a KS2NE. it advertised new ($163) and came with ding and scuff. i suspect a display model but retailer said not so. anyway ... called Kona and bingo bango they corrected the error with new one and the retailer set it up and it is on it's way to me right now. if you add up the shipping costs alone you see that this company has integrity. i don't know what your dread will sound like but it was real darn hard to send the jumbo back.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Grayson73

I bought the Kona KG1CEN for $160 and it is AMAZING!

Does anyone else have the KS2NE or KG1CEN? The KG1CEN is brand new and therefore not listed on harmony central, but the KS2NE has awesome reviews. I challenge anyone to find a better acoustic-electric for under $500.

These are apparently the best Kona acoustic-electrics available. See below for a message I got from Kona.:

There are two models that I feel are a great value for the money. The first would be our KS2NE. This model has a solid spruce top with Rosewood back and sides and is what we call a medium jumbo and is part of our Signature Series. The combination of the solid top and medium jumbo size provide a

deeper more rich sound whether you are using it plug into an amp or as a straight acoustic. The electronics used are active instead of passive giving you more control over your sound when using it with an amp.

The second model is our brand new KG1CEN. This model is part of our KONA Gold series and has the same solid spruce top but we used mahogany for the back and sides to create more sustain and give a little different look. It is a regular dreadnought size and has book matched back. The electronics in the unit are the active once again but it also includes a tuner built in which comes in quite handy.

I am actually very interested in this. I have never heard of Kona before and I am currently looking for an inexpensive but reasonably good quality acoustic-electric for stage performances and band practices.

Anybody else with experience or opinions on Kona ?

• Members

Originally posted by Rickkkk

I am actually very interested in this. I have never heard of Kona before and I am currently looking for an inexpensive but reasonably good quality acoustic-electric for stage performances and band practices.

Anybody else with experience or opinions on Kona ?

Hey - seriously, here folks.

Need some help.

Are these guitars (Kona) decent or not ? I'm looking for a reasonably priced stage acoustic. It doesn't need to be as naturally toned as a more expensive alternative. But I at least want it to sound like an amplified acoustic on stage and not like my stratocaster played through my GT-6 on acoustic simulation ... I want it to be reliable and musically sound.

What do you all know / think about this line of guitars ? All the reviews I was able to find are incredibly positive but I'm leary because of the low price ... a conundrum, so to speak.

Please chime in here, people. Money (mine !!!) is about to be spent .... and I would like it to be well spent ....

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Got a KG1CEN for 60 dollars at my fav pawn shop.   It had a raised fret getting one note for two frets.   Took a nylon hammer and tap the fret ever so slightly to flush with the neck.   Now this beautiful mahogany backed gem is singing every note as it should.   Wow.    Thanks Kona for putting a tuner for hard to hear jams.  Get one if you can find one.

• Members
18 hours ago, Iwasdrums said:

Got a KG1CEN for 60 dollars at my fav pawn shop.   It had a raised fret getting one note for two frets.   Took a nylon hammer and tap the fret ever so slightly to flush with the neck.   Now this beautiful mahogany backed gem is singing every note as it should.   Wow.    Thanks Kona for putting a tuner for hard to hear jams.  Get one if you can find one.

Congratulations on finding a guitar you like. Was it a recent purchase? FWIW, you only find Kona guitars at pawn shops or on eBay. Kinda makes you think, huh?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have a KS2NE, When I saw it, it was a display model at a pawn shop being sold as new. I looked up some reviews/ info, and went to Sam Ash and Guitar Center to see their low-end mass produced Chinese guitars. they were junk. The quality of the Kona was much better, and reviews were mostly positive, so I went back the next day and bought it for $185.00. No case. This is an odd size mini jumbo. The top end of the body is narrower and the bottom is wider than a standard dreadnaught. Cases I had at home did not fit well. I again went to GC and Sam Ash to look for cases. Nothing fit properly. I checked and found there are cases made specifically for this Kona model. I found a phone number of the the Distributor and called him. He said he could not send me a case(that's not how they do it). He had me go to the dealer I got it from. When I went back to the pawn shop, the manager said, "we have plenty of cases, go pick one out". That did not work. I had to beg him to contact his distributor, and they will send him one. He did and called me 10 days later and said the case was in. I had checked prices on the case and they were being sold on the internet from $69.95 to $79.95. I brought $80.00 with me just in "case". He was very nice and said the distributor charged him $40.00, but he would split the difference with me. So I paid him $20.00 and left.

Archived