Bola Sete

Stackabones

• Members

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

I have a Bola Sete cd with Vince Guaraldi (of Peanut's fame). Its called From All Sides. Its a good one.

I've heard the one to get is called Ocean Memories but I haven't been able to find it. Can't really tell you much about Bola though. I heard about him because I listen to a lot of John Fahey and apparently he was a big fan of Bola.

• Members

I saw him in San Francisco a bunch of years ago (late 70s)...he had the most amazingly independent fingers on his right hand...5 fingers and 5 lines going simultaneously!

Sete_Guaraldi_.jpg

compulsivechord.jpg

Here's the little info I've been able to dig up...much like Gabor Szabo, Sete (real name Djalma de Andrade) was kinda an obscure genius.

http://www.bolasete.com/

• Members

You can get Ocean Memories at CD NOW for $21.49. A friend of mine had the vinyl years ago. It is very haunting music, but here, I'll let one of the reviewers, who was most descriptive, give you his impressions:

" I gave Bola Sete's Tour of Force 5 stars. This CD is worlds above it. The range Sete crosses on the 19 tracks is astounding. It is a work of beauty encompassing a myriad of influences including folk, bossa nova, jazz, flamenco, and classical guitar blending together into his own inimitable style. It is very much mood music but the moods it creates are vast and complex; more like murals than paintings. There are no happy songs are sad songs but rather interwoven emotions. Sete's virtuosity is mesmerizing, exhilerating. It is not challenging to listen to. It is impressionistic as if Debussey had been born a Latin guitarist. Listening to him play is a religious experience."

• Members

I decided on Bola Sete Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival. Sounds like it's a combo of solo and ensemble stuff, as well as a classic performance (aren't they all). Kinda digging the trio sound from the youtube vid, so I wanted that.

Almost got Tour de Force: The Bola Sete Trios. I'd like to get Ocean Memories, but $22? Not as a first buy (sure I'll regret it later). And the Vince Guaraldi stuff looked prime, too. All on my wishlist!

• Members

Originally posted by Shredkratcher

I think I'm going to order that Ocean Memories cd. I always make a point of looking for it in the local shops but can never find it. Ordering it online would end the search already. I've been on a Brazilian jazz kick lately.

Tower Records online has it and claim that it's in stock! Ordered it last night--I heard several tracks over at Rhapsody and was transfixed. Also got Luiz Bonfa's Solo in Rio 1959! There goes this month's budget ...

• Members

Originally posted by Greg-CO

That same exact video footage is on the following instructional DVD.

"Beyond Basics - Acoustic Blues Guitar" with Keith Wyatt.

That's where the footage was probably ripped from.

I thought I saw somewhere that it's also from a Santana DVD--something like Santana Influences?

By the way, Tower sent shipping confirmation on Ocean Memories. :)

Archived