What type strings for earthy, bassy sound

LiveMusic

• Members

I have a Takamine eg240 I paid about $270 new for about two years ago. So, not an expensive guitar. The sound is unique to me. The bass strings give a sort of "woody" or "earthy" tone (my description). I don't know how to describe it. There's not much sustain to it but I like the sound for songs where I am strumming pretty hard? Think Folsom Prison, where I am picking the bass notes as I strum on alternating licks.

I played a Washburn one time that kinda had a similar sound on the bass notes.

I need to change strings. Wondering if anyone has any clue to what I'm talking about and what kind of strings should I try? To maximize this bass whump. If you can't recommend brand, at least, what type of string? I've tried several types.

• Members

I usually look more to gauge than brand when trying to emphasize the bass. Alot of brands in 13-56 should do it. I happen to favor John Pearse PB and DR Sunbeams for uncoated strings. Tone is hard to describe in words so I am not sure if I really am addressing your question.

• Members

Well, just watch the wording from each company.

If memory serves, Martin says their phosphor bronze strings are brighter (so you'd stay away from their p/b's).

OTOH, again if memory serves, D'Addario says their phosphor bronze strings are mellower (which is what you'd go for).

I've got Martin's Eric Clapton sig. strings on my 'Gull, and they do sound a little darker than other Martins I've played.

Dean Markley Formula 82/R sound a little mellower to my ears, too.

Check the Web sites of some string manufacturers, and their own descriptions will point you in the right direction.

• Members

I don't any particualr string has a lock on a "dark, earthy tone". It's been my experience that 80/20s start off bright but have a big drop-off after several days at which time they become a bit "darker" (though I tend to think that they're actually "dead" and rip them off at that point).

Another consideration is that you might want to look into medium gauge for a fuller tone, though I should warn you that they aren't as "responsive" as lights, i.e. they have increased tension and harder to fret/bend/vibrato/whatever. Still, if tone is paramount then I would think that it would be an acceptable trade-off for you.

That being saidm here are the strings I've used in the past. I've only used them in lights though, but I've indicated mediums purely as conjecture to adding to the tone you're looking for.

John Pearse 80/20 mediums

Martin SP 80/20 mediums

Elixir Polyweb (only come in 80/20) mediums

• Members

How about tuning down one or two semi-tones? OK if you aren't singing with it, otherwise you'll have to do some transposing. Normally if you use lights at concert you would want mediums down 1/2 step and "heavies" for 2 -1/e steps, but I have had good luck with mediums at D. It will really make you git growl and is a common trick on 12 strings to kill the jangle. Some folks go even lower, but now you are entering the realm of action adjustment, longer scale length, baritones, blah blah.

You might want to do some searching on the differences between 80/20 and phosphor bronze - but you'll get as many opinions as you read posts (bright, dull, bright but dulls after a few days). Best advice I can give here is to buy a set of each (uncoated, same gauge, same brand) and form your own opinion. Record one set new, then after a couple of weeks. Try tuning it down to Db and D. The put the others on and do the same thing. Total investment - about ten bucks and a month of playing (and recording - don't trust your ears and don't compare the sound of old strings to new). Then you can come back here and speak with conviction.

fwiw - if your git is set up well, a change in gauge and even in tuning shouldn't require truss rod or saddle tweeks unless you are on the edge to start with. I change tunings and strings all the time and don't fool with anything

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Another consideration is that you might want to look into medium gauge for a fuller tone, though I should warn you that they aren't as "responsive" as lights, i.e. they have increased tension and harder to fret/bend/vibrato/whatever. Still, if tone is paramount then I would think that it would be an acceptable trade-off for you.

you're looking for.

John Pearse 80/20 mediums

Martin SP 80/20 mediums

Elixir Polyweb (only come in 80/20) mediums

+1. Most strings will take a little while to mellow to the tones you seem to be looking for, just start off the wait with mediums if your guitar and fingers can handle it.

• Members

After looking at this thread a couple of days I just had to come from lurking and ask a (possibly dumb) question. Are you palm muting this?

I don't the experince of those who normally post here, so I read to learn rather than post. I did wonder though if palm muting is what you are hearing as a woody or earthy tone in Johnny Cash music. He used it a lot.

Archived