j-45 alternatives

murphj1

• Members

Originally posted by murphj1

j45's are very expensive and rare around my parts. which means i'd have to but one without ever playing it.

Is there any good alternatives. same soundand looks somewhat. I also really like the 24 3/4 scale.

Check out Blueridge. They make a J-45 copy. Solid wood, decent quality, great price.

• Members

Blueridge is an excellent suggestion. I'd also take a look at the Epiphone Masterbilt slope dreads. I tried out an AJ-500R a couple months ago and it made a lasting good impression. This was within minutes of trying out a roomful of Gibson acoustics. The Epi played and sounded great and the workmanship was spotless.

Edit: The Blueridge has the 24.75" scale length; Epi is 25.5".

• Members

Go to the link below and scroll down towards the bottom. Keep in mind that the prices are retail. You should have no problem finding them for 35% - 40% off the retail price.

The BG Series is the J-45 copy. Here's the break down on main difference between the 4 models on the website: BG 40 - solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides / BG 60 - solid spruce top, laminate rosewood back and sides / BG 140 - solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides / BG 160 - solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides.

http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?Page=3&view=&keyword=&CategoryID=2&FamilyID=2&BrandID=5

• Members

Originally posted by knockwood

Blueridge is an excellent suggestion. I'd also take a look at the Epiphone Masterbilt slope dreads. I tried out an AJ-500R a couple months ago and it made a lasting good impression. This was within minutes of trying out a roomful of Gibson acoustics. The Epi played and sounded great and the workmanship was spotless.

Good suggestion, although, I thought those were 25.5" scale vs. the 24.75" scale used on the J-45.

I love my Masterbilt DR-500R. Great guitar for the money.

• Members

Blueridge guitars are all on sale at MF. There have been some QC problems reported by designer Greg Rich,(no longer with Saga), now working with Johnson's Carolina series where they are having(you guessed it) QC issues, Rich admitted that Saga instruments are made at a huge Chinese plant that makes guitars for several company's, electrics too. In the beginning they(supposedly had their own small plant with Korean imported Luthiers)

Jim

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Good suggestion, although, I thought those were 25.5" scale vs. the 24.75" scale used on the J-45.

Correct-a-mundo. Forgot about the scale length until I'd already posted. I think RT1 was right about all of us posting at once. :thu:

Archived