anyone heard of sango?

bossmare1

• Members

I saw an acoustic guitar that looked really nice.It had two toned wood in the back,solid ,ect.There was nothing in the sound hole.Just the words Sango on the head stock.Has any on e ever heard of them.Who makes them? Are they any good or are they junk? just curious.May be able to pick one up dirt cheap.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Yes! I bought a Sango acoustic when I was fifteen. My first really good guitar. My knowledgeable musician uncle and brother both punked out on me. So my mother dropped me off at the multitude of instrument shops on Music Row in New York City, and I went in by myself as she drove around the block. Yep, I am in there by myself, among all these 'older' (to me) and experienced musician types, buying, selling and trading.  A kid whose first guitar cost fifteen dollars at a department store closing up sale, and which broke. 

Anyway, I tried a few acoustics. I liked the Sango and it cost about $100 (about $300 today) which is what I had saved up. Bought a nice strap, too. Anyway, I still have that guitar and I love it. It's not my main instrument any more. I have an amazing Epiphone EJ-160E acoustic-electric for stage work and casual playing. But I have measured every guitar I ever tried and/or considered buying against the sound of the Sango. All but a very few fell very short. None captured its rich, deep resonant tone. It also wore like iron and survived bumps, drops, falls,and kids- pretty much intact and sounding great.

Anyway, a fellow at a Sam Ash Music store said it was probably from when Japan was making really good, cheap copies of Martin guitars. In fact every guitar salesman in the shop then came around and had to play with ti before I left.  There wasn't much other info. Further research did yield that Sango wasn't really a company or a brand. rather some company or companies, not necessarily music companies, in Japan wanted to make and sell guitars. So they produced a number of models and slapped these 'brand' names on them.

So thats; what i found out. I've bought, sold and given away a lot of guitars since then. But that Sango, which only suffered one broken tuning peg a few years ago, sits safely and proudly in its gig bag close by in my home. I will never, ever, give that one up.

Here's me in my 20's playing that Sango. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216084512971929&set=a.2318514688648&type=3&theater

Archived